PDA

View Full Version : Hit Sandbar in Havasu. What to expect?

bear down
03-31-2003, 07:49 PM
I was going towards the sandbar at about 50 mph and was at 1/2 trim, I noticed a sandbar and figured I could not avoid it in time so I trailered up the trim and felt the boat hit the sandbar and shut of the engine then we stopped about 5 seconds later, not to much mud splattered on the transom, but a good sprinkle, it was very soft sand. We were able to get pulled out and the boat ran good with a bit more vibration(wasn't sure if it was my nerves overreacting) then when I would rev. the motor in neutral I would hear a whining(buzzing,hissing) sound as the rev's came down. Took the boat out, the prop. was fine but the paint was partially off on the skeg and on the water intake (about 1/4 to 1/2 way gone). I took the boat back to the dealer and they mentioned that they would take a look at it later tomorrow. I have a 220 Eliminator Eagle with the 496 mag with a bravo 1 drive. What should I expect? I just ran the boat back to the dock and left the next day and did not run it any more. Any and all info is appreciated.

TCHB
03-31-2003, 08:05 PM
If the prop looks good you could have bent the prop shaft. I would stick another prop on it and see if the vibration is still there. The drive should kick up on its own when hit. If you have major damage call you insurance and see if they will cover the damage. Most insuranes will cover hitting underwater hazards.

Havasu Hangin'
03-31-2003, 08:08 PM
I've hit that sandbar before. I'd check for:
1. Sand packed in the outdrive and/or impeller damage from the sand
2. U-Joint toast from running it all the way up
3. Vibration? Could have a bent propshaft or spun hub...
4. Checker damage on the gelcoat
Probably nothing, though...
[ March 31, 2003, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

77charger
03-31-2003, 08:58 PM
OUCH!
I also came very close this weekend also i think i did tap a sandbar but very lightly no damage here but a scary feeling.I use to stay on the ca side and remember we always stayed close to shore about 8 years ago and i mainly used a jet boat this time i thought i was in the right path water looked like it was getting shallower figured trim it up and go full throttle(the thinking of a jet boat owner took over)Looked over and i could easily see bottom and didnt look that good ahead felt a very light tap went over to deeper water and lifted the drive all looked fine made it to the sandbar and checked the prop all was well.I have gone thru this part many times also did it in a v drive last oct but now i will wait and follow another i/o if i aint sure where to go

Tom Brown
03-31-2003, 09:04 PM
How fast does the sand bar come up? Is it the type of thing a depth sounder and depth alarm would help or does it ramp up too quickly?
-- Tom

bear down
03-31-2003, 09:04 PM
Havasu Hangin':
I've hit that sandbar before. I'd check for:
1. Sand packed in the outdrive and/or impeller damage from the sand
2. U-Joint toast from running it all the way up
3. Vibration? Could have a bent propshaft or spun hub...
4. Checker damage on the gelcoat
Probably nothing, though... I only Ran the drive up above 1/2 trim when I started to see the sandbar (no more than 15 seconds), there is no gel coat damage and I had shut off the engine when I felt the first sign of hitting the sandbar. What concerns me is about the vibration(very little) and the whinning/humming sound of the motor while in neutral after I rev the engine and then when it starts to rev down you hear a humming sound towards the end of the rev. Eliminator said that they would test the water intake to see if the engine temp. rises to see if enough water is being taken in or if the impeller is damaged/clogged. We'll see tomorrow.

Quality Time
03-31-2003, 09:07 PM
In addition to the advice already given, check the driveline alignment.

Havasu Hangin'
03-31-2003, 09:17 PM
Tom Brown:
How fast does the sand bar come up? Is it the type of thing a depth sounder and depth alarm would help or does it ramp up too quickly?By the time you realize it Tom...it's probably too late.
Kinda like the ice cracking under your Ski-Doo...by the time you hear it, not much you can do about it...
The pump may cause a buzzing from the impeller grinding...
...but a vibration is probabaly in the drive. What kind of prop? Stainless? If you dug a solid stainless prop in the sand going that fast, it may do some drive damage.
Did it run hot afterward?

Kilrtoy
03-31-2003, 09:25 PM
Thats too bad Bear, I know you just got the boat. Hope everything is alright.....

rvrkaosI
03-31-2003, 09:26 PM
I hit a sandbar in the dark coming down river, and RVRKAOS ended up with a few cuts in the prop. Lost about 5mph and by the end of the weekend, the boat ran like sh#t due to the bent prop. 250 bucks later, the prop was refinished by Dick Sheer, and running great.... I'll never run the sandbar at night again.....
RvrKaos

THOR
04-01-2003, 06:58 AM
WHere was this sandbar? I am a little scared now. I have made that run tons of times and fear that every time.
Sorry to hear it, but I too would be paranoid. That is just me though. I would just make sure your prop shaft is not bent. That could really do some damage. Also, check to make sure it is not running hot. This could be impeller damage.

bear down
04-01-2003, 07:10 AM
I nailed a sandbar at the Arizona side, As I was headed to the Sandbar and heading into the Gorge I drove around to the right side of the island along the coast line. I should have ran along the CA side. The boat was not running hot but I do think it's either the drive shaft or the impeller, we'll see today. Eliminator will plug in the engine today to see if there are any problems and run a water test to see if it runs hot. Hoefully it's just sand that needs to be filtered out.

DEEZ NUTTS
04-01-2003, 02:58 PM
At least you didnt rip the whole thing off like I did at Powell last august. Havent had the boat out this year yet, but I am already fealing a little spooked over shallow things.