PDA

View Full Version : Kids on the boat?

miller19j
03-13-2003, 10:53 AM
How old were your kids when you took them out on the boat for the first time?

spectratoad
03-13-2003, 11:01 AM
My chilluns' were 5 months (December baby) and the other was about one month. wink :D

Blown 472
03-13-2003, 11:02 AM
Not even born yet, then everytime I went out he came along been doing it for five years now.

intense
03-13-2003, 11:12 AM
My daughter was 2 months and my son was 3 wekks old.

Blown 472
03-13-2003, 11:16 AM
miller19j:
How old were your kids when you took them out on the boat for the first time? Something your not telling us?

miller19j
03-13-2003, 11:21 AM
No, we are thinking about trying this summer or next. I was just wondering how young people’s kids were when they first took them out. I would want to include my child as soon as possible. Sounds like I am not the first with that idea :)

78Eliminator
03-13-2003, 11:25 AM
miller19j:
No, we are thinking about trying this summer or next. I was just wondering how young people’s kids were when they first took them out. I would want to include my child as soon as possible. Sounds like I am not the first with that idea :) I would wait till about 3 (I think that's the smallest they make life vests for).

78Eliminator
03-13-2003, 11:27 AM
miller19j:
No, we are thinking about trying this summer or next. I was just wondering how young people’s kids were when they first took them out. I would want to include my child as soon as possible. Sounds like I am not the first with that idea :) That's so exciting Brad!!!!!!

Akamatsu
03-13-2003, 11:31 AM
My daughter was about 1 year, and my son about 8 months for their first boat rides. Small life vests are available. Probably didn't really enjoy it until they were 1 1/2 - 2 though.
Akamatsu

OC-PARTYCAT
03-13-2003, 11:38 AM
My daughter was about three months old. I had a 26' party cat back then and her excersaucer wedged in the back corner of the boat on top of the seat. and a porta crib set up in front.pretty funny shit. :D the price you pay to play......

Waldo
03-13-2003, 12:26 PM
My wife went out pregnant. After our daughter was born we took her to Parker at 4 months. She napped on a 28' party cat. She has been several times since but this last weekend at Perris was the best!
She is almost 19 months and she was able to play in the sand and boat w/o taking off after anything that might distract her. She played so much that she hardly ate her lunch. We can't wait for the next trip.
Good luck and enjoy! Also, they do make vests for infants and toddlers. Check around online, I'm sure you can find one.

Dusty Times
03-13-2003, 01:41 PM
Before, During, and Soon after Pregnancy.
The hum of the motor makes the newborns fall asleep easier.(Atleast it did my two, Now are 2 and 4).

ROZ
03-13-2003, 02:10 PM
Dusty Times:
Before, During, and Soon after Pregnancy.
The hum of the motor makes the newborns fall asleep easier.(Atleast it did my two, Now are 2 and 4). Same here....We took our daughter out at 7 weeks..
You need to make sure to have plenty of shade though. Sunscreen can't be applied until after the 3 month mark.
Yes, it does.

Hallett19
03-13-2003, 02:30 PM
I was 4 months old when I was first out on my Dad's old boat.

Boatcop
03-13-2003, 02:38 PM
I would wait till about 3 (I think that's the smallest they make life vests for).
There are CG approved PFDs made for infants, even newborns.
Just make sure they wear them. ALWAYS! That way you'll start 'em out right, and it won't be a war trying to get them to wear them later.
BTW, almost all states, and the Federal Govt. require that they be worn by all kids until they're 13.

Charley
03-13-2003, 02:50 PM
We water tested our Mach 26 when Bryce was 5 weeks.....45mph max with a chase boat :D wink

68campbell
03-13-2003, 04:47 PM
My son was 1 month when he was first on the boat (not the flatty but my 24 old Spectra)
P.S. Brad, you know my wife and if she trusted me you should be ok.

Johnwithjm
03-13-2003, 05:11 PM
It was 4 months old for me

Sleek-Jet
03-13-2003, 05:15 PM
I was 8 and my brothers were 5 when my dad bought his Concord.
My niece was 2 1/2 when she took her first trip to Powell.

Wet Dream
03-13-2003, 05:38 PM
78Eliminator:
I think that's the smallest they make life vests for). Acutally they make infant sized life vests. My oldest (now 7) was 2 and my youngest has been boating since he was in the womb. His first out of body experience was at 2 months old and they both now drive the boat. I have to work the throttle since their legs aren't long enough, but I figure they'll be there soon enough. They love throwing a roost and waving to everyone. :D

CA Stu
03-13-2003, 05:47 PM
I had my daughter solo in a tube at 5 (last summer), weighed about 40 pounds. Must have been pretty exciting for her.
Next year, we're going to get big air off the wake. (She doesn't know this yet). :D
Personally as a father of 2 and with a new one due May 1st, I'm more comfortable with children that are already able to swim, or at least float with their face above water.
Cheers
CA Stu

Ziggy
03-13-2003, 05:52 PM
Although technically she was on the boat well before birth ,my daughter was 3 months, appeared she had no clue what was going on then but handled it with ease. Now she's nearly 10yrs and just dies to go to the river. She also happened to be riding her own quad by 3 1/2 yrs and shreds now. Even mom can't keep up with her.
And it's true about it putting them to sleep, during those tough moments to get them down for naps it was the only way we could get her to sleep(she didn't want to miss all the fun)

squirtboat
03-13-2003, 06:00 PM
I was still in momma for my first sand rail ride and first flatbottom ride. The story goes if they wanted me to go to sleep they would either take me out in the rail or the v-drive. So I grew up riding the driveline cover in the v-drive. My daughter is the same she went with me in the v-drive and at 8yrs. she is my chief mechanic in the TX-19 now. The boat doest leave the trailer without her.

Mohavekid
03-13-2003, 07:04 PM
All 3 of them started out in the womb. My son was born in May and we had him in the boat about 2 weeks later. The 2 girls were fall babies so they had to wait until they were a few months old.
It's funny, I always thought my old Challenger with a hot 427 BBC and OT pipes would scare them when they were infants. None of them were bothered in the least by the noise when they were real small. They started getting scared by it when they got to age 3 or there abouts.

Mandelon
03-13-2003, 08:04 PM
Had a boat before the kids....started em at a few months...Gotta watch out for sunburn on those little skins...
They still fall asleep in the afternoon if we're traveling far....Love that drool.. :D :D

MJ19
03-13-2003, 08:17 PM
Boatcop:
There are CG approved PFDs made for infants, even newborns. Mr. Miller asked me one day "when can you get pregnant and not be pregnant in the summer and not have a newborn in the summer?" I giggled because it's damn near impossible to have both...you sort of need to pick one or the other. I asked Miller "Why?" His reply was "I don't want to interupt the boating season" :D
I informed him they make 'newborn' life vests and apparently he's been wondering ever since. wink

Coach
03-13-2003, 09:51 PM
My daughter was 2 months old for the first trip on a boat. She is very use to the boat now at 14 months. It was a trip 11 months before that got my wife pregant. wink

MJ19
03-14-2003, 08:00 AM
I think the more things you can start at an early age the better! :D
(with this crowd I might need to clarify..."positive wholesome experiences" that is) boxed wink
I'm all for exposing our future children to the boat, the water, sand, bugs, swimming, different languages, feeding themselves, getting dirty, etc...Mr. Miller is in for an adventure when we have children...it's going to be a blast!!! :D
As for them learning how to shoot guns, go hunting, etc...that will be dad's department (not my thing) and certainly will not happen until after infancy wink :D

Blown 472
03-14-2003, 08:14 AM
Hheheeheheheee I am seeing miller standing there with a screaming child as it spews it's lunch all down the front of him. :D :D
Does miller like warm cottage cheese??
[ March 14, 2003, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Blown 472 ]

voodooCanoe
03-14-2003, 12:39 PM
I'VE GOT YOU ALL BEAT! 5 DAYS OLD. WE HAD OUR DAUGHTER ON TUESDAY AND WERE ON THE WATER BY THE
WEEKEND. YES THEY HAVE LIFEVESTS THAT SMALL! THE
KIDS CAN SLEEP ON THE BEACH UNDER A EASY-UP JUST AS EASY AS THEY CAN SLEEP IN THEIR CRIB.
GAVE MY OTHER GIRL HER 1ST 100MPH RIDE IN THE FLAT
BOTTOM WHEN SHE WAS FIVE. BE SURE TO KEEP HOLD
OF THEM WHEN SLOWING DOWN. GOING FAST IS THE SAFE PART.

MJ19
03-14-2003, 02:15 PM
Blown 472:
Hheheeheheheee I am seeing miller standing there with a screaming child as it spews it's lunch all down the front of him. :D :D
Does miller like warm cottage cheese?? I'm not sure if he likes it warm? I'll keep ya posted when the time comes :p :D

theskiffs
03-14-2003, 03:09 PM
Can yo say 72 hours or three days

theskiffs
03-14-2003, 03:10 PM
Can you say 72 hours or three days

78Eliminator
03-14-2003, 03:11 PM
Have you ever heard the expression "drop the kids off at the pool"? :D

Liberator TJ1984
03-14-2003, 03:17 PM
78Eliminator:
Have you ever heard the expression "drop the kids off at the pool"? :D Is that the same as..Turning a Turtle loose at the Pond ???

Kindsvater Flat
03-14-2003, 03:21 PM
With you riding in the boat, at what age did you first let them drive?
Mine has been driving since he was 9 with me in it and he will run it up to around 5k on the tach.

78Eliminator
03-14-2003, 03:26 PM
Liberator TJ1984:
78Eliminator:
Have you ever heard the expression "drop the kids off at the pool"? :D Is that the same as..Turning a Turtle loose at the Pond ??? I have not heard about the turtle. Mine is in reference to taking a shit.
I am in the new minority too, brother. Caucasion is second to hispanic here in California. It's as if white folks stopped breeding.
[ March 14, 2003, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

spectras only
03-14-2003, 03:45 PM
My son was still in the oven for the first ride in my 20 spectra jet , and he was steering for the first time at age one.He's been an avid boater since.He's been on Caleb's 25 Warlock [it's in ***boat cove]and bugging me forever to get my mule upgraded with mucho power to keep up with the poker run guys :rolleyes:

Sleek-Jet
03-14-2003, 03:45 PM
Kindsvater Flat:
With you riding in the boat, at what age did you first let them drive?
Mine has been driving since he was 9 with me in it and he will run it up to around 5k on the tach. My dad let me start driving when I was 8. I was loading and unloading the boat and pulling skiers by the time I was 10.
[ March 14, 2003, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Sleek-Jet ]

Lakemead1
03-14-2003, 03:55 PM
Lemme throw a wrinkle in this one for you because maybe some of you have a good idea.
We're expecting twins. The biggest part of the reason I'm selling my boat is our guess is we won't be able to take them out at least until next year (and I will eventually want a bit bigger boat). So I was thinking of ways that the wife and I can take them out on the boat - damn near impossible to hold two babies at once for her while I'm driving I would think. I think it would be somewhat complicated. Anyone else have any ideas? I sure would love to take them out this year, but even then I figure we'd wait till three months old, putting us somewhere around the end of the summer. :confused:

Riverhound
03-14-2003, 08:40 PM
We had our son out when he was 6 weeks old. Lots of shade and fluids are essential. A little dip in the river every so often will keep them cool :D
Alan, we got a shirt from someone in your department while we were floating buy the dam. It said I got caught wering my kife jacket with a pictur of frog on it. My son was so happy, he wears it every time we go in the boat. Thanks.

Mandelon
03-14-2003, 08:55 PM
Lakemead1:
Lemme throw a wrinkle in this one for you because maybe some of you have a good idea.
We're expecting twins. The biggest part of the reason I'm selling my boat is our guess is we won't be able to take them out at least until next year (and I will eventually want a bit bigger boat). So I was thinking of ways that the wife and I can take them out on the boat - damn near impossible to hold two babies at once for her while I'm driving I would think. I think it would be somewhat complicated. Anyone else have any ideas? I sure would love to take them out this year, but even then I figure we'd wait till three months old, putting us somewhere around the end of the summer. :confused: Get a girlfriend. If you can't go with just her, then bring her along and she can hold the other kid!! :D :D :rolleyes:

MJ19
03-14-2003, 09:43 PM
78Eliminator:
Liberator TJ1984:
78Eliminator:
Have you ever heard the expression "drop the kids off at the pool"? :D Is that the same as..Turning a Turtle loose at the Pond ??? I have not heard about the turtle. Mine is in reference to taking a shit.
I am in the new minority too, brother. Caucasion is second to hispanic here in California. It's as if white folks stopped breeding. Are you implying children are like shit? eek! devil

MJ19
03-14-2003, 09:49 PM
Riverhound:
Alan, we got a shirt from someone in your department while we were floating buy the dam. It said I got caught wering my kife jacket with a pictur of frog on it. My son was so happy, he wears it every time we go in the boat. Thanks. Free Shirts?? I want one cry :p :D

Boatcop
03-15-2003, 07:02 AM
Alan, we got a shirt from someone in your department while we were floating buy the dam. It said I got caught wering my kife jacket with a pictur of frog on it. My son was so happy, he wears it every time we go in the boat. Thanks.
That was probably me. We gave out something like 1,000 of those shirts a few years ago. The Dam was my favorite spot to hand them out.
During that time, we had kids waving us down, pointing at their life jackets. Lots of people told me that they were their kid's favorite "River Shirt". It was a very popular program. We'll probably be doing it again this year.
Hmmm. Maybe we should get them for adults, too. I was caught being a designated driver at the River!

MJ19
03-15-2003, 02:31 PM
Boatcop:
Maybe we should get them for adults, too. I was caught being a designated driver at the River! Save one for me!!! If we try for kids this summer, then I'm sure I'll get caught being the designated driver wink :D

Riverhound
03-15-2003, 05:21 PM
[/QUOTE]That was probably me. We gave out something like 1,000 of those shirts a few years ago. The Dam was my favorite spot to hand them out.
During that time, we had kids waving us down, pointing at their life jackets. Lots of people told me that they were their kid's favorite "River Shirt". It was a very popular program. We'll probably be doing it again this year.
Hmmm. Maybe we should get them for adults, too. I was caught being a designated driver at the River! [/QB][/QUOTE]
Well it was a great program and I think it may have raised the level of awareness up a notch. I am still surprised how many small children I see in boats that don’t have life jackets on. Unfortunately you can’t get through to everyone. :confused:

MJ19
03-15-2003, 09:02 PM
Riverhound:
Well it was a great program and I think it may have raised the level of awareness up a notch. I am still surprised how many small children I see in boats that don’t have life jackets on. Unfortunately you can’t get through to everyone. :confused: You know another pet peeve of mine is seeing kids bounding about in the car without a seatbelt or worse little ones that should be in car seats! Kids are too precious to not take proper safety precautions. :cool:
YEAH BoatCop for having that awareness program!!! :D
[ March 15, 2003, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: MJ19 ]

Lakemead1
03-18-2003, 10:11 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Lakemead1:
We're expecting twins. The biggest part of the reason I'm selling my boat is our guess is we won't be able to take them out at least until next year (and I will eventually want a bit bigger boat). So I was thinking of ways that the wife and I can take them out on the boat - damn near impossible to hold two babies at once for her while I'm driving I would think. I think it would be somewhat complicated. Anyone else have any ideas? I sure would love to take them out this year, but even then I figure we'd wait till three months old, putting us somewhere around the end of the summer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get a girlfriend. If you can't go with just her, then bring her along and she can hold the other kid!!
Sweet idea! Somehow I doubt that one is going to fly with the wife :rolleyes:

MJ19
03-18-2003, 10:49 AM
If your baby is wearing a life vest, they can sit in a bouncy seat type thing...but you would NOT want to use the seat belt part...because in the event of an emergency the life vest would not hold up a baby seat from sinking.
You can always invite a friend. You actually need 3 other friends to go...you drive, your wife holds baby #1, a friend to hold baby #2, a friend to hold the flag, and finally a friend to play behind the boat...I'll be that friend...the one behind the boat :D

Lakemead1
03-18-2003, 10:52 AM
You can always invite a friend. You actually need 3 other friends to go...you drive, your wife holds baby #1, a friend to hold baby #2, a friend to hold the flag, and finally a friend to play behind the boat...I'll be that friend...the one behind the boat
Hence why I think I need a bigger boat :D That's as good a reason as any, the problem is getting the wife to go for it :rolleyes:

Charley
03-18-2003, 10:54 AM
whos gonna hold me when my motor breaks? God knows my wife won't be..... wink
BROKED BOAT=PISSED OFF SPOUSE

MJ19
03-18-2003, 10:57 AM
Lakemead1:
the problem is getting the wife to go for it :rolleyes: What are her concerns exactly?