PDA

View Full Version : "Boston's" new release

Havasu Doug
11-08-2002, 03:12 AM
Do you believe it? The band “Boston” released a new CD on 11/05/02 called “Corporate America”. I would have made these comments on the BOSTON.ORG message board, but it got shut down indefinitely just days before this latest release. I noticed that some were complaining that the new CD was “not Boston” even before it was released. I disagree. For anyone who only wants a copy of the debut album released in 1976, you can forget about this release. For anyone open minded to new music, check it out! After all, “More Than a Feeling” was written in 1969. Isn’t it time for a change anyway? What remains the same are the songwriting and multi-instrument playing talents of Tom Scholz and the voice of singer Brad Delp. In addition, singer Fran Cosmo returns since joining the band on the “Walk on” album released in 1994 and guitarist/keyboardist Gary Phil from “Third Stage” (1986). New to the band are singer/songwriter/guitarist/bassist Kimberley Dahme and Fran Cosmo’s son songwriter/guitarist Anthony Cosmo. While Tom Scholz is the biggest figure on this CD (as always), the others play a larger role than any of the previous releases (5). Kimberley performs a song called “With You” that you would never in a million years believe to be a “Boston” song. She sounds like Shania Twain with a hint of Bonnie Raitt. The Cosmo’s, also, are predominant on several tracks written by Anthony that are excellent in there own right. There is no rebellion on this CD comprised mostly of rock ballads which maybe considered to be “marshmallow” rock to some. One exception would be the title track “Corporate America” which addresses the issue of prioritizing money over the condition of the global environment. (they don’t want us to waste gas by the way LOL!! :D ) The only thing I find ironic about this is as pro Sierra Club, Earth Save, etc, this group is, they still are using the same “spaceship” theme as day 1. Although the “spaceship” sounds are VERY cool in all of their releases, NASA is about as anti-environment as anyone can get. Boston let NASA use songs from “Third Stage” to accompany space shuttle videos at the Kennedy Space center, which is a perfect fit, but it kind of takes strength away from their message.
The CD sounds great anyway! :D

Blown 472
11-08-2002, 05:31 AM
They suck, allways have allways will.

Her454
11-08-2002, 05:48 AM
I liked the first one, none after that but Im open to listening to the new one.

Hermosa
11-08-2002, 07:04 AM
I think my Allstate Insurance agent David Sykes was a guitar player in the band Boston...

No strESSEX
11-08-2002, 07:10 AM
Boston is scheduled to tour this Spring. They were supposed to tour last Spring and didn't, so who knows. :confused:

Havasu Doug
11-08-2002, 09:01 AM
Hermosa:
I think my Allstate Insurance agent David Sykes was a guitar player in the band Boston...Really? :confused: Check to see how he spells his last name, because there was a bass playing David Sikes that co-wrote about 5 songs on the "Walk On" CD from 1994. I think he toured with them as recently as 1997. He was, also, in a group called "Aldo Nova" who had some cool songs ("Fantasy").

Havasu Doug
11-08-2002, 09:05 AM
No strESSEX:
Boston is scheduled to tour this Spring. They were supposed to tour last Spring and didn't, so who knows. :confused: If you're from Trabuco Canyon, do you ever shop at Albertson's? If so, say "hi" whenever you're in. My pic's on the wall! :D

JetBoatRich
11-08-2002, 09:08 AM
I had their 8-track years ago. No probelm Listening to the new CD and hearing whats new.
They all do it, STYX, Journey, etc you know the 80's bands.
Try to make a come back and get the money they missed the 1st time around.

Havasu Doug
11-08-2002, 09:27 AM
JetBoatRich:
I had their 8-track years ago. No probelm Listening to the new CD and hearing whats new.
They all do it, STYX, Journey, etc you know the 80's bands.
Try to make a come back and get the money they missed the 1st time around.While ALL of the other current and last band members have played with other bands, the main figure, Tom Scholz has been working on Boston stuff all along. It's just that he takes 7 years on average to make a record. I think he does it for fun more than the money, which he has plenty of. He is an inventer, too, holding many patents in electronics. He graduated from MIT with a degree in Electrical Engineering and formed a company called Scholz Research and Design developing "Rockman" brand equipment known so well to rock guitarists.

Hermosa
11-08-2002, 09:39 AM
Havasu Doug:
Hermosa:
I think my Allstate Insurance agent David Sykes was a guitar player in the band Boston...Really? :confused: Check to see how he spells his last name, because there was a bass playing David Sikes that co-wrote about 5 songs on the "Walk On" CD from 1994. I think he toured with them as recently as 1997. He was, also, in a group called "Aldo Nova" who had some cool songs ("Fantasy").His name is spelled Sikes, Allstate insurance in Vallejo, CA. Very cool he was with Aldo Nova also, I loved that "cassette" when I had it back in the day... in High School with my 1977 Camaro. Man those were fun times... Well, back to paying bills....

RH
11-08-2002, 01:01 PM
Did ya have a glovebox full of folded matchbook covers to shim those tapes up with ? I think about a third of my 8-tracks needed a little tweeking to get them to play . RH I had their 8-track years ago

JetBoatRich
11-08-2002, 01:35 PM
RH:
Did ya have a glovebox full of folded matchbook covers to shim those tapes up with ? I think about a third of my 8-tracks needed a little tweeking to get them to play . RH I had their 8-track years ago They needed adjustments now and then

kevnmcd
11-08-2002, 03:55 PM
No strESSEX:
Boston is scheduled to tour this Spring. They were supposed to tour last Spring and didn't, so who knows. :confused: OMG!!! He lives!!! wink

kevnmcd
11-08-2002, 03:57 PM
Havasu Doug:
If you're from Trabuco Canyon, do you ever shop at Albertson's? If so, say "hi" whenever you're in. My pic's on the wall! :D Why is your pic on the wall? Is it under the America's Most Wanted section? wink Are you the Manager there? I live in Wagon Wheel (at the end of Oso).

Havasu Doug
11-08-2002, 04:22 PM
kevnmcd:
Havasu Doug:
If you're from Trabuco Canyon, do you ever shop at Albertson's? If so, say "hi" whenever you're in. My pic's on the wall! :D Why is your pic on the wall? Is it under the America's Most Wanted section? wink Are you the Manager there? I live in Wagon Wheel (at the end of Oso).Kevin, I am a "Key Person" whatever that means. I've been there awhile and almost went to the Ladera Ranch store when it opened, but that never materialized. I haven't met anyone from the boards at the store yet, but some of my customers do call me "Havasu Doug". :D