PDA

View Full Version : Primary wire

1stepcloser
09-19-2003, 04:05 PM
Any ideas on where to purchase primary wire in all the necessary colors for a marine application?
I'm not talking about Kragen, with the usual assortment of red blue yellow etc.
I wanna rewire my boat this winter, and am looking for the same colors as now, for example, tan, white w/tan trace, blue w/ white trace, etc.
Any help here would be appreciated.
:)

phebus
09-19-2003, 04:16 PM
Why don't you contact Eliminator since they rigged the boat?

Mandelon
09-19-2003, 05:26 PM
An Electrical supply shop?

1stepcloser
09-19-2003, 05:47 PM
Mandelon:
An Electrical supply shop? Well you would think so, huh?
But I havent been able to find the assorted bulk wire anywhere. I know it's available, obviously, I just cant seem to find a source. (actually I found one source, but they have minimum order requirements, and they start with 1000' spools.)
eek!

Havasu Hangin'
09-19-2003, 05:48 PM
Orvac Electronics in Fullerton (on Orangethorpe).

Mandelon
09-19-2003, 05:49 PM
1000 feet might be a bit much!! :D

mickeyfinn
09-19-2003, 05:50 PM
Most automotive/marine primary wire is only rated for up to 50 volts. These are usually available in only the primary colors plus one or two others. If you are looking for wire that is something similar to:
red with white tracer you can try here:
wire (http://www.riwire.com/Catalogs/sup/pages/wire.htm)

1stepcloser
09-19-2003, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the help, Oldsquirt hooked me up with what I was looking for with these guys (http://www.ancorproducts.com/).
HH:
Orvac Electronics in fullerton. On orangethorpe.I will give them a call, they are a bit closer.

Havasu Hangin'
09-19-2003, 06:06 PM
So why are we re-wiring the boat?

1stepcloser
09-19-2003, 06:12 PM
Too much clutter.
And a certain audio system upgrade that has gotten way out of hand... :rolleyes:

Havasu Hangin'
09-19-2003, 06:21 PM
1stepcloser:
Too much clutter.On an Eliminator? How could that be?
1stepcloser:
And a certain audio system upgrade that has gotten way out of hand... :rolleyes: Hehehehe...better start the 12 step program now...while there's still time.
Let me know if you need a hand.

1stepcloser
09-19-2003, 06:29 PM
HH:
On an Eliminator? How could that be?
I'm gonna overlook that subtle jab. (for now)
After the engine change, and various other changes over the years, it has become somewhat messy. With the onslaught of the new system, I have decided to refine and relocate as much of the under hatch wiring as possible. I dont want it to be seen. wink
That idea lent itself to a total rewire. :(
HH:
Hehehehe...better start the 12 step program now...while there's still time.
Let me know if you need a hand.
I'm afraid it's already too late for recovery.
I have given up. :D
Yes, I do need a hand. likely two....

Havasu Hangin'
09-19-2003, 06:37 PM
1stepcloser:
I'm afraid it's already too late for recovery.
I have given up.Admitting you have a stereo addiction is the first step toward recovery...
1stepcloser:
Yes, I do need a hand.Here ya go... http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/1/happy30.gif
How does $75/hour sound? http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/1/happy03.gif

1stepcloser
09-19-2003, 06:44 PM
God:
Admitting you have a stereo addiction is the first step toward recovery...Who said anything about recovery?
I need a vice.
Besides, it's not just the stereo, it's the whole damn boat. Right?
HH:
How does $75/hour sound?Ridiculously high. :cool:
I'm thinking of an animal here, a fowl, somewhere in the color palette between white and black....
Goes well with dry water... wink

Havasu Hangin'
09-19-2003, 06:50 PM
1stepcloser:
I'm thinking of an animal here, a fowl, somewhere in the color palette between white and black....
Goes well with dry water...Not bad...not bad at all...we'd better save it for after the install, though...
When are you thinkin' of starting?

1stepcloser
09-19-2003, 07:05 PM
Weelll, the stereo is already gone from the boat, (for the most part) I'm still tinkering with the wood for the amp locations, the rear seat base is done, had it upholstered, then decided on a few more changes. :confused: Waste of upholstery.
Got to make the patterns for the diamond plate still, and need a few more things before I can really get to putting it together.
I had planned on tearing it up now, but I think I am gonna go Parker sleeping (dont say anything) for the OP6 in October.
That would mean tearing it up after that.
Now with the rewire on deck, I need to gather up the necessary goods for that too.
Ultimately, I guess after OP6. I'm looking at Knee surgery as well, that will surely keep me around the house, with plenty of down time.
After the install huh?...well have to see about that. wink
By the way, Aren't you supposed to be in Havasu this weekend?
[ September 19, 2003, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: 1stepcloser ]

bigkatboat
09-19-2003, 08:31 PM
L & L Marine bought out Specialty Marine, that is where you need to go. Don't get 'all out'a control' just call them and get it done. Most of the boat builders in that area used them for wire harnesses, and it will be done in the correct color code. You're welcome. wink

Maxey
09-21-2003, 08:48 AM
Try "Painless Wiring". They have many colors, both solid and w/stripes. Nice plyable, and good quality.
Maxey

spectratoad
09-22-2003, 09:49 AM
Mandelon:
1000 feet might be a bit much!! :D But you always have to think big, Future goals etc... :D

1stepcloser
09-22-2003, 10:25 AM
spectratoad:
But you always have to think big, Future goals etc... :D I agree, but seeing as how I have a need for runs of less than 40 feet, I would have a rather large surplus laying around.
Now, I'm a project oriented kind of guy, and I usually over purchase most everything, just to make sure I have enough, you know, but I'm thinking that 950' of surplus is a little excessive even by my standards. :D
This isn't something I plan to do again anytime soon... :)

rrrr
09-22-2003, 10:54 AM
My $.02...
Don't use anything but the Ancor wire. It has more strands than automotive wire, and the strands are tin plated copper. This means no corrosion!! AYBC standards require the use of this type of wire. Auto harnesses like those made by Painless use regular copper wire.
To make the installation really trick (and bulletproof) use the Ancor connectors with heat shrink sleeves. The sleeves are adhesive lined, and the resulting connection is completely watertight. They also make adhesive lined heat shrink tubing. Again, AYBC standards require the use of these type of connections in bilges and other places where water is present.
I rigged my Howard with all these goodies and I don't expect to ever mess with the wiring system again. That's a nice feeling.
Ancor heat shrink sleeve connectors (http://www.ancorproducts.com/Products/products_list/heatShrink_products/heatShrink_products1.html#)

1stepcloser
09-22-2003, 11:03 AM
rrrr:
My $.02...
Don't use anything but the Ancor wire. After a bit of research, I am going to go with Ancor. I ordered a catalog from them.
I agree with the USCG requirements, and have used the "sealer type" of heatshrink before, I just couldnt find a "small guy" distributor of the marine grade products.
Thanks again to Oldsquirt for the link.
:)

rrrr
09-22-2003, 11:09 AM
I bought my connectors online from West Marine. Six in a package or something like that. If I had to do it over I would try to find quantites of 100 or so, since I'm always messing around with my boats or someone else's.
Oh, and make sure you check out Ancor's website. They have posted all the AYBC standards, wire color codes, a voltage drop calculator (important for stereos!) and other good info.
[ September 22, 2003, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: rrrr ]