PDA

View Full Version : boat cover

NautiII
03-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Now that my boat is about to get painted, I am looking for a good boat cover. who carrys one that fits over the headers? wondering about covering the jet to. is this a good idea, or does it really matter.

wrenchdaddy
03-20-2006, 08:26 PM
I got mine out of an Overtons mag. It was for a low profile ski boat or something and turns out it fits great over headers and everything, it does leave a small 8 inch gap at the very back cuz the ski tow makes it stick up but i was still happy with it. I tied a rope to the bow and stick a 2x4 up against the dash so the water won't puddle on it. Its waterproof and keeps it covered for $150.

1978 Rogers
03-20-2006, 09:17 PM
I got one out of Overton. Towed it for 2 hours with it on. Rubbed the sh*t out of the top of the seats. :mad:
Don't tow with a cover on.

beerjet
03-20-2006, 10:12 PM
I got mine out of an Overtons mag. It was for a low profile ski boat or something and turns out it fits great over headers and everything, it does leave a small 8 inch gap at the very back cuz the ski tow makes it stick up but i was still happy with it. I tied a rope to the bow and stick a 2x4 up against the dash so the water won't puddle on it. Its waterproof and keeps it covered for $150.
I always wondered how good one of those covers really is . The cover that I have now is canvas but it is made to fit over the steering wheel , ot headers , and ski post. It is however far from being water proof so I was considering one from overtons for the rain . As far as towing . If I cant screw it down , it comes off before I tow.

GunninGopher
03-20-2006, 11:10 PM
On my last jet I spent $600 for a nice custom towing cover, even though I am 100% against towing, just to have one that fit nice and snug and looked cool. I have a cheapo Walmart one that came with the boat I have now and I like it better. It has 1 pole and some straps that work great to make the water run off.
I can't believe that anyone tows with any kind of cover on. I think I've heard all of the arguments in favor of it and none is worth rubbing scratches into the paint and wearing the vinyl on the boat, and every cover will do that. It will also stretch the cover so that it doesn't work as well when left to stand.
I recommend getting an appropriate sized cheapo with a pole and replacing it every 2-4 years. The one I have now will cover the entire 19' DayCruiser (enclosed) with the swim step, and pump and the sides of the boat. The only exposed portion is a little bit of the keel in front.
I plan on adding a couple of vents to it to help it breathe.

beerjet
03-20-2006, 11:20 PM
I plan on adding a couple of vents to it to help it breathe.
That is definatly something I want to look into :idea: so I dont have to keep covering and uncovering it :hammer2: . I really wish I had a garage.:frown:

Slacker
03-21-2006, 12:53 PM
I bought mine through Jet boat performance in Cali. It was around $175 if i remember correctly. It isnt water proof but water resistant. I use it during the summer to keep the sun, dust and light drizzle off. Helps when you get caught towing in a rain storm. During a heavy rain , i just keep a cheep blue tarp over the cover to keep the rain from soaking through. It has plenty of room for my OTT headers and it has elastic sewn in the bottom. Just what i use ... Chris

Scoobinator
03-21-2006, 08:53 PM
You just need to spend the money on a costom cover and dont be cheap about it. Remember you get what you pay for.