PDA

View Full Version : GM Alternator removal?

Tom Brown
05-11-2003, 07:45 PM
OK, this is the lamest question I've ever asked but does anyone know the trick to removing an alternator from the accessory mount on a 1998 GM 5.7l vortec? It has some roll pin type mountings on the front that don't seem to come out and I'm hessitant to break out the big hammer.
-- Tom :confused:

Tom Brown
05-11-2003, 08:01 PM
I'm sorry for asking this question in this forum. The truck is a low mile 98 Silverado and it sounds like a lot of people here have had GM truck alternators go bad really early in the vehicle's life, just as this one has. I thought someone would share the trick to getting the blasted thing out. :)

TIMEBOMB
05-11-2003, 08:08 PM
Tom
I changed the alt on my 99 Tahoe 5.7l and don't remember a roll pin type mount. 2 bolts and then it came right off. Stupid question, but you did relieve the tension from the serpentine belt?? All you need is a 3/8 breaker bar, just put bar in the idler pulley and relieve the tension, should come right off. Good luck, Gary.

Tom Brown
05-11-2003, 08:10 PM
Thanks, Garry. The belt is off the pully and the bolts are out. It looks like it can't go anywhere but I'll go at it with some less gentle leavering.
:) ... soon to be ... :( ... :D

TIMEBOMB
05-11-2003, 08:19 PM
Now I remember, must be that mothers day margaritas, yep my came off with a little help from a trusty prybar. Straight up, the mount is a little deceiving but the alt comes straight up. Did not realize it until I saw the new one. Gary

DickDanger
05-11-2003, 08:22 PM
Holy Shit!!! I just noticed that Tom lives in Canada???? And I thought that you were SoCal trash like the rest of us!!!! LMAO...-DD Out

Boatcop
05-11-2003, 08:31 PM
I've got a '96 GMC P/U w/ the 5.7. My alternator went T/U last year.
I replaced it myself, and seem to remember the pin you're talking about. If my memory serves me, it's just a spacer. Make sure all bolts are out, and if you gently pry the alt forward, it should release the spacer and the alternator will come free.

Tom Brown
05-11-2003, 08:40 PM
You gents kick ass! Thank you very much (except you, DD :D ) :)
The alternator is off. I had to pry the shit out of it. When it finally released, there was a spark and a little smoke. :D
I run a Mercury outboard so there is no need for me to be mechanically inclined. I just need to know how to add fuel and oil.
DD, by any chance, are you a drinking man? :D :D :D
[ May 11, 2003, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

GlastronGuy
05-11-2003, 08:50 PM
Tom Brown:
I run a Mercury outboard so there is no need for me to be mechanically inclined. I just need to know how to add fuel and oil.
DD, by any chance, are you a drinking man? :D :D :D Outboard? You should be mixing up some margaritas for TIMEBOMB. Heck, I'll have one while your at it.

05-12-2003, 08:17 AM
GlastronGuy:
Tom Brown:
DD, by any chance, are you a drinking man? :D :D :D Outboard? You should be mixing up some margaritas for TIMEBOMB. Heck, I'll have one while your at it. I thought outboards were for mixing margaritas :D :D
[ May 12, 2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: 058 ]

Boatcop
05-12-2003, 11:20 AM
When it finally released, there was a spark and a little smoke.
Maybe I should have explained Step 1.
"Disconnect negative battery cable!"

TIMEBOMB
05-12-2003, 12:07 PM
Outboards are for mixing margaritas, :D now I just need to get my blender back together. Gary.

Tom Brown
05-12-2003, 12:47 PM
Boatcop:
"Disconnect negative battery cable!"Nice. :D :D :D

sorry dog
05-12-2003, 01:50 PM
I run a Mercury outboard so there is no need for me to be mechanically inclined. I just need to know how to add fuel and oil. Whatever. They may be light and fast but reliable? I'm waiting for mine to engulf itself in a suicide of 40:1 flames.

Chase
05-12-2003, 02:07 PM
CANADA is great.
Yeah Tom I had a mercury outboard on my first boat. It seemed to work well...

roostwear
05-12-2003, 06:25 PM
Tom Brown:
Tom, Seein' as how how you own a Merc AND a GM product, you're excused from knowing about power. :D j/k
Open the door, and I'll walk in!