PDA

View Full Version : Essex warranty ?

cola
06-12-2003, 09:44 AM
What is Essex warranty on there boat's & how are they at standing behind them.
Thanks, Mike

Essex502
06-12-2003, 09:52 AM
I believe, without having the paperwork in front of me, that the hull is warranteed for 10 years. Don't know if the warrenty is transferrable or not.
We bought our boat new and the few issues I have had with it were addressed rapidly and cheerfully. Good guys.
What year/model/power is your Essex?

BENZEEN
06-12-2003, 10:11 AM
cola:
What is Essex warranty on there boat's & how are they at standing behind them.
Thanks, Mike Cola,
10 years on the hull and floor, one year on equipment, such as gauges, controls, etc. They are good about correcting "Essex problems". Meaning, Essex manufactured or installation issues. If it is a product they use in their boat that has a problem, they are not to eager to chase down the manufacturer for rectification, i.e. cd player. Over all, their service is good.
-Vik
[ June 12, 2003, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: BENZEEN ]

Essex502
06-12-2003, 10:58 AM
I disagree a bit, BENZEEN, as I took the boat back to them for a problem with the Gaffrig speedometer that was flaky. They replaced it no-charge and it was beyond the 1 year. Now the speedo was always a little flaky right from the start but by the time it was replaced was more than a year after we took delivery. They didn't even question it...just replaced it. The bilge pump also was replaced at the two year point due to the cover kept popping off causing the pump to turn on when there was no water in the bilge. Again, cheerful replacement

Havasu_Dreamin
06-12-2003, 11:43 AM
I have to echo what E502 said. I went back to Essex after two years with a problem with the tachometer and they replaced it free of charge.

BENZEEN
06-12-2003, 12:22 PM
Havasu_Dreamin:
I have to echo what E502 said. I went back to Essex after two years with a problem with the tachometer and they replaced it free of charge. When I took delivery of the boat, I was told by Alex that the upholstry, gauges, etc. had a one year waranty. However, he did say that even if a couple of years pass, and there is some problem, that they more than likely will take care of the problem if there is no visible signs of abuse. They seem to be a stand up company, and for the most part have provided me with good service. There are a couple small issues that I brought to the attention of the service manager, who gave me the impression that it is beyond his control.
By the way, with whom do you deal mostly in the service department? Maybe I am talking to the wrong guy.
Any way, I hope to see you guys at OP6. I'll be in a Vortex with red flames.
Later,
Vik

Essex502
06-12-2003, 12:35 PM
Dealt with Duane before Alex came on board. We haven't had any issues in the last year so I don't know if Alex is still the guy or not. Definitely he's the one to talk to if he's still there. I heard a rumour that he wasn't running the Service Dept anymore but have no confirmation.

BENZEEN
06-12-2003, 01:24 PM
My dealings have only been with Alex. He has been pretty good to me so far, so I am a little hesitant to go over his head and burn a bridge. I don't know if he is really service manager material, but he is a nice guy.
-vik
[ June 12, 2003, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: BENZEEN ]

Essex502
06-12-2003, 01:52 PM
I always go the impression he was the whole service department management and reported straight to the brothers.

AquaBoogie
06-12-2003, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the info fella's.
I'll be taking my Laser in for service in a couple weeks and I understand that Essex does the servicing.
How are they with interior repair? I have a small puncture in the base vinyl in my bow area.

BENZEEN
06-12-2003, 02:04 PM
Well, than I will approach him with my concerns one more time.

Essex502
06-12-2003, 02:08 PM
AquaBoogie:
I'll be taking my Laser in for service in a couple weeks and I understand that Essex does the servicing.
How are they with interior repair? I have a small puncture in the base vinyl in my bow area. Laser and Essex are both owned by the same folks. I thought that they did all of their own upholstry in-house so they should be pretty good at repair.

AquaBoogie
06-12-2003, 02:46 PM
Essex502:
AquaBoogie:
How are they with interior repair? I have a small puncture in the base vinyl in my bow area. Laser and Essex are both owned by the same folks. I thought that they did all of their own upholstry in-house so they should be pretty good at repair. Thanks.
Do you know the quality difference between Essex and Laser, if any?

Havasu_Dreamin
06-12-2003, 02:50 PM
Essex is great with the upholstery repairs, had to have some monior work done a few times on mine. As E502 said, Essex does all of the upholstery in-house for both the Laser and Essex line. The laser is essentially the Chevrolet version and the Essex is the Cadillac version.
The quality in terms of materials is the same between the Essex and the Laser. The Essex has more fiberglass, hence a heavier boat and stronger boat. Also, the Essex comes essentially loaded with everything you would want.
My understanding is that Alex is the Service Manager. He may report directly to Ron and/or Steve, the owners, or he may report to Scott. In all of my dealings with Essex, that includes Duane, Alex, Ron, Steve, and Scott, everything has been handled as expected and very professionally. They are a standup company and both Ron and Steve pride themselves on that!
Edit: I need a damn spellchecker here!
[ June 12, 2003, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Havasu_Dreamin ]

AquaBoogie
06-12-2003, 02:54 PM
Are you telling me I bought another chevy?

Salty Cracker
06-12-2003, 02:55 PM
Yes, Essex and Laser are the same the only difference is the total layers of glass in the boat.
Alex is still the man, they put this guy Howard in to help, but he just ended screwing up the operation. Alex is still the service manager, and he bends over backwards to help.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-12-2003, 03:01 PM
AquaBoogie:
Are you telling me I bought another chevy? In terms of providing you an example and drawing a comparison to GM, yes. In the corporate lineup of Essex, Laser is the Chevrolet/GMC and the Essex is the Cadillac. The laser is a very fine boat though and very reasonably priced, last time I checked.

No strESSEX
06-12-2003, 04:18 PM
I don't want to come off negative on this thread, but I am having major issues with Essex over their warranty right now. In my honest opinion, they are not backing up their product in my case. I will post more information after my insurance company and Essex come to a final conclussion on how to proceed. So far, the boat has been looked at by a surveyor, Essex, and Havasu Barney. I am trying to be patient and give Essex the time to do the right thing. I'm sorry to sound so vague, but I think it's the best way to proceed at this point. I WILL post more information in the future and let you all know how this turns out.

cola
06-12-2003, 04:26 PM
The Alandra in new but a 2000, first sold to me in april of 2003. Set on a lot in Nev. We started the Mercury warranty with no problem. The boat had never been wet. Had no trouble with Essex on the Sterling. Amy went out of her way for me with the MSO paper work, she droped what she was working on & took care of it. I couldn't of done it without Amy. Motor is 500efi with Bravo 1 22p. runs out @ 64-65 on speedo? Just didn't know about the time frame. Love the new boat. Almost to the 2nd service. Everything was good with the first one. 500 uses a littlt more oil then the 350 mag. did. Switched to Kendall oil & Amsoil in drive.
Later, Mike

Havasu_Dreamin
06-12-2003, 09:50 PM
The Alandra is a nice boat. I wouldn't mind owning one. I also like the 25 as well. HP500EFI and 64-65 on the speedo is probably only about 60 if you were to use GPS. The Alandra is a heavy boat, I think it's like 5300 lbs. How does it ride?

MASTERKENDOG
06-12-2003, 11:21 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/67124_Valor_6-7-03-med.jpg
Just throwing in my 2 cents too. Nothing but awesome over there at Essex. I have made repeated changes, questions, what if's, etc... on my boat and Amy has been nothing but awesome. She'll ask Ron or Alex and they will get back to me same day with whatever I asked for with no problem. Thier typical response is
" yeah, we can do that, no problem!"
They have invitited me down to review the boat in the production process and take pictures while doing so.
Just to re-afirm the warranty is 10 years on the hull and 1 year on everything else. My boat is scheduled to be finished July 1st. If you want to know how my overall experience is after I pick up the boat, give shoot me a e-mail!! :D
Thanks,
MASTERKENDOG!

cola
06-13-2003, 05:05 AM
HD, the boat rides nice. It comes on plane about as fast as the Sterling did. Yes the Tempest is nice. A friend has one. What power package is in your Vortex. I like that hull the best of all the Essex boats. If I would have bought one instead of the Sterling I wouldn't have changed. The layout gives you so much room in there boats. Looks like Masterkendog has a Vallor(sp) or Vortex on the way. Looks bitchen, will look for it on the 4th.
Later, Mike

Havasu_Dreamin
06-13-2003, 06:29 AM
I've got a Sterling with the 350 MAG and a Bravo III drive. I love it!!!!! I really want to step up to the 25, particularly the one in the showroom with the blue and yellow graphics. I almost walkeed away from the LA Boat show with the Valor that debuted there, that is one awesome boat! I didn't as I want something with a cuddy as well.

Essex502
06-13-2003, 06:35 AM
What I know about the Laser is there are few "standard" features than the Sterling. Less standard Gel options. Not as much glass (the Sterling is a tank, notwithstanding the problems No strESSEX is having). Very nice boats. I talked to Ron and Steve at the L.A. Boat Show when they debuted the Laser and their comments were: "Other manufacturers were saying they had just as good of a boat as an Essex only theirs cost less, so we decided to lower the 'trim' level a bit and bring out a boat at the same price point." Maybe not those EXACT words but something to that effect.

AquaBoogie
06-13-2003, 10:05 AM
Essex and Laser as a company does appear to be a class act. I purchased mine at the last LA boat show and picked out colors, schemes and motor that day. I called them almost every other day with about 20 questions and changes. They were very helpful with the questions and happy to comply with my changes. As a matter of fact, I broke the gear in my trailor jack Memorial weekend in Havasu. Called them as soon as I returned home and they contacted Zeiman and had them rush a new jack to me. I'll see how they are with servicing the boat in a couple of weeks. So far, from what I've read, there should be no problems.
How are they with replacing the stereo head unit? My CD's keep getting jammed in the unit and not ejecting.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-13-2003, 10:24 AM
AquaBoogie:
How are they with replacing the stereo head unit? My CD's keep getting jammed in the unit and not ejecting. Don't listen tothe CD's from teh head unti while underway, the pounding will cause the problem you are describing. Put a 6 disc changer in the boat and listen the CD's in that while you are cruising down the lake. Personally when I did my stereo upgrade I went to Mark's Autosound (http://www.marksautosound.com) in San Gabriel. Not because I did not want Essex to work on it or I don't trust the quality of their work, I just went to Mark's becasue he is closer than the factory and all he does is stereos and DVD's systems in vehicles and boats. He is not cheap by a longshot but he does excellent work. Check out his website as he puts up pictures of various installs.

BENZEEN
06-13-2003, 12:02 PM
Hey guys,
I know we are going off on a tangent here, but I have a question for you. With the power options you guys have, what kind of performance numbers were you guys given by Essex? E502 has a Sterling with a 502, HD, you have a 350MAG in your Sterling, MKDOG has a valor with I don't know what, and aquaboogie, you have a 22 laser with what?
I was told 70MPH with my set-up, 496MAG-22P 4BLADE. The best I have seen so far is 64MPH on the speedo, with half tanks, 1 passenger, 85 degrees, 1 foot chop, and it never felt squirly. Even when I flew through some rough stuff.
-Vik

AquaBoogie
06-13-2003, 12:18 PM
BENZEEN:
Hey guys,
I know we are going off on a tangent here, but I have a question for you. With the power options you guys have, what kind of performance numbers were you guys given by Essex? E502 has a Sterling with a 502, HD, you have a 350MAG in your Sterling, MKDOG has a valor with I don't know what, and aquaboogie, you have a 22 laser with what?
I was told 70MPH with my set-up, 496MAG-22P 4BLADE. The best I have seen so far is 64MPH on the speedo, with half tanks, 1 passenger, 85 degrees, 1 foot chop, and it never felt squirly. Even when I flew through some rough stuff.
-Vik I was forced into the 350 mag / Bravo 1 (wifee wouldn't let me sink any more money into the boat, otherwise I would have opted for the 496HO). My last time out, conditions were glass with 1 passenger no extra cargo and trimmed out. My speedo read 57~60. Not sure what actual speed with GPS would be.

MASTERKENDOG
06-13-2003, 01:24 PM
I optted for the 496 HO. They tell me 70 mph, I think it depends on who you talk to. But Amy asked Ron and he said he "thought" the 496 MAG ran about that-70mph, no more. Alex (and I can't remember the other guy's name), says the 24' Valor w/ 496HO will 70-75mph. That's what the picture is above. The valor wieghs about I think 3400-3600 lbs. Talk to the guys giving the test rides, I think Alex takes a few test drives, he would be the one to ask.
MKD!! boxed

cola
06-13-2003, 04:06 PM
My Alandra weighs 5300 +or- & HP500EFI Bravo 1 64-65? on speedo. My Sterling w/350 mag Bravo 3 60-61 added through transom exhuast two weeks before I sold it, definitely picked up 4 or 5 mph & sounded awesome. Go for the 496HO you won't be sorry. Maybe @ the gas pumps. I liked the Bravo 3 in tight places & comming out of the hole. I guess I will bring it home after the 4th or the 12th to have Essex do a little warranty work. Speedo & some small stuff. Leaving for Havasu now.
Later, Mike&Kim

mtndewdrops
06-14-2003, 05:26 PM
cola:
My Alandra weighs 5300 +or- & HP500EFI Bravo 1 64-65? on speedo. My Sterling w/350 mag Bravo 3 60-61 added through transom exhuast two weeks before I sold it, definitely picked up 4 or 5 mph & sounded awesome. Go for the 496HO you won't be sorry. Maybe @ the gas pumps. I liked the Bravo 3 in tight places & comming out of the hole. I guess I will bring it home after the 4th or the 12th to have Essex do a little warranty work. Speedo & some small stuff. Leaving for Havasu now.
Later, Mike&Kim I can vouch for that, since I bought the Sterling from cola I have ran a few times at 65. I have the polished Mercury 26 Deg 3 Blade Stainless Props. Mike, did you sell those 28's?

Havasu_Dreamin
06-16-2003, 06:31 AM
I've had the speedo pegged at 65. GPS-wise it was about 59.

Essex502
06-16-2003, 06:57 AM
The boat runs an honest 70 on the GPS with 2 people and usual "day at the lake" gear + 3/4 tanks. Without external steering I won't attempt to take it any further.