PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Wiring

Waldo
05-15-2003, 03:42 PM
I just installed my new stereo system in the boat. I have two Fosgate HE 10" subs (4 ohm)and I would like to know the difference between Series Wiring and Parallel Wiring. They are powered by an 800watt 2-channle amp. Thanks!

Boozer
05-15-2003, 03:46 PM
Well In your case I would do neither. No matter what you do you are going to be running at 4 OHMS if you go bridged you'd have to run series because if you parallel 2 4 ohm subs and then bridge them on your amp you'll be running at 1 ohm. Most amps cant run at that impedance.
I'd say just run them stereo. 1 output to 1 woofer. Unless running 4 ohms bridged will out put more then 4 ohms stereo.
But... If you have a mono block amp then bridge the amp and parallel the woofers. You'll be running right at 2 ohms and your amp will love you. If it's not mono then you should have definitely gone with 8 ohm woofers.

mickeyfinn
05-15-2003, 05:43 PM
Depends on how your stereo and amp are set up. If your output to the amp is stereo and you don't have to option of "bridging" both signals to a single higher power output then I agree your best bet is to run them one speaker to one output and run a 4 ohm speaker system. If the amp is capable of running a higher power bridged and the amp is capable of bridging the two signals into one then I would recommend running bridged with the speakers wired in series. This will provide an 8 ohm load to the amp and allow it to run cooler. Finding an amp with this capability is kinda rare. The most likely situation is that you are pulling your signal from a single subwoofer output from an EQ and are feeding an amp capable of bridging to a "single channel" at higher wattage. If this is the case then running the amp bridged and the speakers in series would again be the best option. I don't know of any reason you would want to wire a two 4 ohm speaker system in parallel. This will produce a 2 ohm load on the amp and cause it to run hotter and will lead to excessive heat and premature failure.
Hope this makes sense to you.

TrojanDan
05-15-2003, 05:53 PM
eek! eek! :confused: eek! Damn I'm glad I paid someone to figure this crap out for me!

Havasu Hangin'
05-15-2003, 05:53 PM
Waldo:
I just installed my new stereo system in the boat. I have two Fosgate HE 10" subs (4 ohm)and I would like to know the difference between Series Wiring and Parallel Wiring. They are powered by an 800watt 2-channle amp. Thanks! Parallel= 2 ohm mono load
Series= 8 ohm mono load
Stereo= 4 ohm stereo load
Unless they are DVC...

ROZ
05-15-2003, 10:28 PM
Havasu Hangin':
Waldo:
I just installed my new stereo system in the boat. I have two Fosgate HE 10" subs (4 ohm)and I would like to know the difference between Series Wiring and Parallel Wiring. They are powered by an 800watt 2-channle amp. Thanks! Parallel= 2 ohm mono load
Series= 8 ohm mono load
Unless they are DVC... The Professor has spoken.... :D
P.S. I see you subscribe to the K.I.S.S theory.
wink

TroubIeOnWater
05-15-2003, 10:34 PM
Havasu Hangin':
Waldo:
Series= 8 ohm mono load
Unless they are DVC... Correct and not correct.
Parallell = 2 ohm load mono at the woofers.
2 ohm load to a bridged stereo amp will cut that in half and put you at 1 ohm.
Series = 8 ohm load at the woofers.
8 ohm load to a bridged amp will that in hald and put you at a 4 ohm load.
Stereo = correct.
Only time you dont cut the impedance in half between the woofers and amp running mono is when you are running a mono block amp.
Cheatere Amps are safe for running 1 ohm loads but most off the shelf amps are only 2 ohm stable. You go any lower then that and your going to over heat the amplifier.
BEWARE!! There are several companies that claim to produce a 1 ohm stable amp for a cheap price Sony has 1 and Hifonics has 1 and there are several others I have seen. These amps are crap. Yes they will run at 1 ohm but they also give you a lower power output at 1 ohm then they do at 2 ohms.
I did car audio for a long time. I am also MECP certified (which is basically crap, I have seen more hack jobs done by MECP certified best buy techs then anyone else in this world). DONT LET BEST BUY DO YOUR INSTALL!! This stuff is just basic math and impedance is a pretty simple concept. Parallel cuts everything in half. Series doubles it. When you have a DVC woofer it is the same concept. Your impedance just varies depending on whether or not you have your voice coils running parellel or series.

ROZ
05-15-2003, 10:59 PM
TroubIeOnWater:
Havasu Hangin':
Waldo:
Series= 8 ohm mono load
Unless they are DVC... I am also MECP certified (which is basically crap, I have seen more hack jobs done by MECP certified best buy techs then anyone else in this worldI hope you didn't pay for that :p wink :D
[ May 16, 2003, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

Tom Brown
05-16-2003, 02:18 AM
Havasu Hangin':
Parallel= 2 ohm mono load
Series= 8 ohm mono load
Unless they are DVC... I'm with HH on this one. Dual voice coils should be treated like two speakers and wired accordingly.
I've never known an amplifier type to alter the reactive resistance of a load. When an amplifier is bridged, the impedance between the output IC and ground is halved. This is the whole point of bridging but none of that has anything to do with the driver load. The amplifier manufacturer will specify the power and stability with different loads and in different modes. Look at those specs and wire accordingly.
I'm with Boozer in that a 2 ohm sub load is a lot to ask of an amplifier. You're probably best to run the amp in stereo mode and have one channel drive each sub. If your amp is rated for a 2 ohm load when bridged, give it a try. It's easy to make the wiring change and then you'll know. :)
[ May 16, 2003, 03:20 AM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

Rexone
05-16-2003, 02:19 AM
I am so :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :D

Tom Brown
05-16-2003, 02:31 AM
By the way, I'm not MECP certified but I did stay at a Holliday Inn Express a couple of weeks ago.

Tom Brown
05-16-2003, 02:34 AM
Rexone:
I am so :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :D Are you lost in a shopping mall again Mike? Internet kiosks are usually close to the information desks. Try asking someone there for directions.

Havasu Hangin'
05-16-2003, 03:57 AM
TroubIeOnWater:
Correct and not correct.
Parallell = 2 ohm load mono at the woofers. Isn't that what I said? http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused46.gif
TroubIeOnWater:
Series = 8 ohm load at the woofers. 8 ohm load to a bridged amp will that in hald and put you at a 4 ohm load.Correct and not correct.
Wouldn't that be be an 8ohm mono load at the woofers? An 8 ohm load to a bridged amp is still an 8 ohm load. Do you work at Best Buy?
TroubIeOnWater:
Stereo = correct.Thank you for your seal of approval- my life is complete. However, I notice you didn't comment on Boozer's post.
I am also MECP Certified (Mostly Engages in Crap Posts)...
BTW...did we change from "sub wiring" to "amp reviews" and "installation recommendations"?
http://www.orbit3d.com/bbs/hijacked.jpg
Tom Brown:
I'm with Boozer in that a 2 ohm sub load is a lot to ask of an amplifier.I'm running a 1 ohm mono load, Tom. The candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long (name that quote). http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused16.gif
For subs...IMHO, class D outshine a/b.
[ May 16, 2003, 05:08 AM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

Essex502
05-16-2003, 07:00 AM
Aw shucks...someone post the wiring diagram...I was never good with electronic theory but I can read a wiring diagram and follow it! :confused:

ROZ
05-16-2003, 09:06 AM
Havasu Hangin'
TroubIeOnWater
Series = 8 ohm load at the woofers. 8 ohm load to a bridged amp will that in hald and put you at a 4 ohm load.Correct and not correct.
Wouldn't that be be an 8ohm mono load at the woofers? An 8 ohm load to a bridged amp is still an 8 ohm load[/b]. Do you work at Best Buy?
Youz keep saying load...
smile_sp

ROZ
05-16-2003, 09:17 AM
Essex502:
Aw shucks...someone post the wiring diagram...I was never good with electronic theory but I can read a wiring diagram and follow it! :confused: We can post a diagram on how to wire series or parallel (SVC or DVC);However, Because there are so many different combinations available(speakers available in 2-12ohms, DVC, SVC, quanity of speakers you want to run, and amp variation), it would just add to the confusion....Think about what you want out of your system, and pick all the gear accordingly.
Reality is that the majority of people don't go overboard when building a system. A 10" sub, upgrading oem speakers, a 40x4 and a 250x1 or a nice 5 channel amp all coupled to a decent head unit is the most popular full system upgrade. THEN they catch the bug and want more :D
[ May 16, 2003, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

riverbound
05-16-2003, 10:01 AM
the rockford he woofers are single voice coil woofers. the only way to properly hook up the woofers so you do not fry your amp is to run them stereo one woofer to one channel. should sound ok. by the way which 800 watt amp is it?

Tom Brown
05-16-2003, 11:18 AM
Havasu Hangin':
I'm running a 1 ohm mono load, Tom.Yeah. I'm sure you're winning the numbers game.
Havasu Hangin':
For subs...IMHO, class D outshine a/b. Not in mine. At least, not as a generalization. :)

ROZ
05-16-2003, 12:21 PM
Too bad the subs aren't 4ohm DVC's. You could have paralleled the Voice coils to give you a 2ohm load to each channel....

Havasu Hangin'
05-16-2003, 02:04 PM
Tom Brown:
Not in mine. At least, not as a generalization.Move into the 90's, man...

Rexone
05-16-2003, 05:07 PM
Based on what I'm reading here I'm starting to suspect my Muntz blue light 4-track player is becoming outdated. frown

Tom Brown
05-16-2003, 05:13 PM
Rexone:
Based on what I'm reading here I'm starting to suspect my Muntz blue light 4-track player is becoming outdated. :( Apparently, not in my world. :D :D :D

Waldo
05-16-2003, 09:57 PM
Thanks for all the replies! The info was more than I needed. I hooked them up stereo but the manual that came with the speakers only showed three types of wiring diagrams. 1) Parallel, 2) Series, and 3) a combo of both, parallel/series. Didn't know if I should rewire for better sound.
I went the budget route and bought a Performance Teknique 800 watt/ two channel amp. I think it will be fine for the sound I am looking for. Unless, like someone stated above, "I get the itch" for more. I did the install/box making/etc. all myself and am very satisfied.
Unfortunately, after I put the subs in place, one of them was like "frozen" and wouldn't work. Sucks, cause now it's in route back to the store and I'm going to the riv next weekend. I probably won't have it back in time.
Anyway, thanks again for all the info!
BTW...I, too was all :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

ROZ
05-17-2003, 10:31 AM
Waldo:
Thanks for all the replies! The info was more than I needed. I hooked them up stereo but the manual that came with the speakers only showed three types of wiring diagrams. 1) Parallel, 2) Series, and 3) a combo of both, parallel/series. Didn't know if I should rewire for better sound.
I went the budget route and bought a Performance Teknique 800 watt/ two channel amp. I think it will be fine for the sound I am looking for. Unless, like someone stated above, "I get the itch" for more. I did the install/box making/etc. all myself and am very satisfied.
Unfortunately, after I put the subs in place, one of them was like "frozen" and wouldn't work. Sucks, cause now it's in route back to the store and I'm going to the riv next weekend. I probably won't have it back in time.
Anyway, thanks again for all the info!
BTW...I, too was all :confused: :confused: :confused: Comgradulations Waldo! Consider yourself MECP certified.. :p wink :D
Provided the dealer you bought the speaker from has stock, they'll probably just swap it out for ya. Him getting his own RA(return authorization) from Rockford shouldn't be a problem...
Good luck!
EDIT: All you RF fans will be happy to know that RF is kinda going back to it's roots and will be producing some killer product in the near future...I think they realized that they lost a little something when they just wanted to move boxes...
[ May 17, 2003, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: ROZ ]