PDA

View Full Version : SON OF A BITCH MOTHER F'ING TRANNY

Wet Dream
04-13-2003, 06:12 AM
I finally get to put the new (rebuilt) tranny and new torque converter in the wife's Explorer yesterday. As we are getting down to the last 20 bolts, our spirits are getting better and can't wait to fire this thing up. Fill it up with the recommended fluid, run it through the PRND21 range with the foot on the brake and all feels good. NO leaks underneath, it all looks good. Time to clear out the tools from the bottom and take her for a spin. Pull out of the garage, up the hill, so far so good, drive a mile and check the kickdown, its good. Keep going, then it decides to rev to 5000 rpm and my ****ing O/D light starts flashing. Son os a bitch, threw a code. Pull into a driveway to turn around, NO REVERSE. Well, a lot of slipping. Get turned around, and its slipping all over the place, EXCEPT manually putting it in 2nd gear. WTF is going on?? Anyone have a clue???????? I'm about to go insane. cry

BigBoyToys
04-13-2003, 06:20 AM
YIKES!! Sounds like a bad day. I have no idea what could be wrong because I only own GM cars that don't break down :D
But, good luck on finding the problem. I'm sure somebody on the HB boards will know what the problem is.

Tinkerer
04-13-2003, 06:25 AM
Did you check the fluid level- It may have an air pocket that came out and you are now low on fluid.

Kurtis500
04-13-2003, 06:39 AM
Make sure you check the fluid while it is in nuetral!

Wet Dream
04-13-2003, 06:41 AM
Fluid level has been checked about 30 times, while hot, in neutral.

hoolign
04-13-2003, 07:03 AM
I,d check with the rebuilder and see if the forward and reverse clutches were changed ,sounds like they were fine when you first started out,no load on them,then once they were wet, they spun under load.They might just need to be adjusted
www.trannyshop.com (http://www.trannyshop.com)
there is a section for questions on this site,go into request info
[ April 13, 2003, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: hoolign ]

Hallett19
04-13-2003, 04:18 PM
What year and how many miles did it have on it when it croaked ? My brother has a 92 Exploder with 238,714 miles and it has gone through 2 governers on the tranny but no problems other than that. My mom has a 98 Exploder V8 and the trans went south at 78k miles. Sounds like you have big probs with that new rebuild. It seems like when you rebuild slushboxes, you either get it right the first time and it goes good for a while or it doesnt work within the first few miles, I worked at a tranny shop when I was younger so I saw alot of these trannies go bad right after a rebuild.

bchbum
04-13-2003, 09:11 PM
We had a 91 Explorer ,the tranny went-out at 1,300 miles ( 3 weeks old ) . the converter fell apart . From this point it had to be rebuilt every 20,000 miles ,as it would start slipping . When the warranty was over I called the service manager asking him if he wanted to buy the piece of shit . He of couse refused .

COELIMINATOR
04-14-2003, 11:22 AM
What year is it??? Did you flush the system real well? The A4LD valve body is a real nightmare. If any contamination enters it you will have a problem. An external filter is always a good idea on this transmission. You probably have a valve hanging up and that is what is causing the problem.