PDA

View Full Version : Need dimensions

Blown 472
03-27-2003, 11:18 AM
for a bar, you know the drinking type, I am going to make it six feet long but I need the heighth and width. Thanks.

Her454
03-27-2003, 11:21 AM
Blown 472:
for a bar, you know the drinking type, I am going to make it six feet long but I need the heighth and width. Thanks. eek! eek! When's the party?

Blown 472
03-27-2003, 12:27 PM
Soon as I get my basement done, yall are invited over for fish tacos and whiskey, dont forget your frisbee's. :D

Liberator TJ1984
03-27-2003, 12:30 PM
Only 6' long ????
Where ya gonna dance at ???
thats barely enough room to pass out on ...J/K :D

Mandelon
03-27-2003, 12:44 PM
Blown...what are you going to do with it? I know, drink. What I mean is...
Are you goint to eat there?...Make it wide enough for your biggest plates...
Will you use bar stools?...sit on one and pick a comfortable height.
Will you just be standing and leaning on it?
Get out a tape measure and see what's comfortable for you. Its your house right?
18"-20" is good. It won't look too wide, but will hold plates and plenty of beer mugs.
Standard kitchen tops are 24" deep, and 36" tall. Can you walk behind your bar, or is it against the wall?

rrrr
03-27-2003, 12:46 PM
Get a few drinks in you, enough to feel nice and woozy. Rest one foot on top of a cinder block, then close your eyes and lean forward. When you think your elbow should be touching the bar, just have a friend drop a tape on it. There's your measurement
As for the width, shouldn't be any wider than a comfortable reach for a lime wedge or olive.
Now that I'm done with the smartass stuff, here's an article that'll help.
Bar Dimensions (http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/living/home/home_improvement/interior/furniture/3340960.htm)
:D :D

Blown 472
03-27-2003, 12:50 PM
rrrr:
Get a few drinks in you, enough to feel nice and woozy. Rest one foot on top of a cinder block, then close your eyes and lean forward. When you think your elbow should be touching the bar, just have a friend drop a tape on it. There's your measurement
As for the width, shouldn't be any wider than a comfortable reach for a lime wedge or olive.
Now that I'm done with the smartass stuff, here's an article that'll help.
Bar Dimensions (http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/living/home/home_improvement/interior/furniture/3340960.htm)
:D :D Thank you very much.

Blown 472
03-27-2003, 12:51 PM
Mandelon:
Blown...what are you going to do with it? I know, drink. What I mean is...
Are you goint to eat there?...Make it wide enough for your biggest plates...
Will you use bar stools?...sit on one and pick a comfortable height.
Will you just be standing and leaning on it?
Get out a tape measure and see what's comfortable for you. Its your house right?
18"-20" is good. It won't look too wide, but will hold plates and plenty of beer mugs.
Standard kitchen tops are 24" deep, and 36" tall. Can you walk behind your bar, or is it against the wall? It will be away from the wall, have to get the fridge back there, it will be close to the pole in the basement which I am going to paint brass color for amiture night. :D

Thunderbutt
03-27-2003, 02:06 PM
Blown 472:
for a bar, you know the drinking type, I am going to make it six feet long but I need the heighth and width. Thanks. Bars are 42 inches in hight. I know that because when I put my arm out at a 90 degree angle and lean forward a little, the deminison will be 42 inches to the floor. Gotit. Make it wide enough to lay on. GOTIT

78Eliminator
03-27-2003, 02:58 PM
Blown, also make sure there is plenty of room under the bar for us tall fellas. There is a really cool bar I used to go to but the damn bar was too narrow and my knees would hit the brick base of the bar. It did not feel good and the more I drank, the more I would hammer my knee caps into the bricks when I would sit down coming back from taking a piss.

miller19j
03-27-2003, 03:01 PM
78Eliminator:
Blown, also make sure there is plenty of room under the bar for us tall fellas. There is a really cool bar I used to go to but the damn bar was too narrow and my knees would hit the brick base of the bar. It did not feel good and the more I drank, the more I would hammer my knee caps into the bricks when I would sit down coming back from taking a piss. How tall are you? I don’t remember you being really tall.
PS tall to me is anyone that is taller than me.

78Eliminator
03-27-2003, 03:08 PM
miller19j:
How tall are you? I don’t remember you being really tall.
PS tall to me is anyone that is taller than me. Well, average is like 5'9" (that's what the military pretty much designs everything for). If you're taller than that, you approach being tall. I am 6'1". You my friend, are basketball player tall which exceeds the "tall" category.

miller19j
03-27-2003, 03:11 PM
Well 6’1” is tall. I just remembered I had been drinking quite a bit when I met you so I was a least 9 feet tall that night. :D wink

beyondhelpin
03-27-2003, 03:42 PM
The bar in my house is 45" tall including the top. It is about 27" wide and about the same length as the one you want to build. When I built? mine I had a cabinet made 42" tall by 24" deep by a cabinet shop. It is a standard size. The extra height came from the top and huge molding on the front.
The top is made out of 3/4" plywood with oak flooring on top. Talk about sweet. You might look at doing something like that. Not very expensive but it looks it. Be careful with the finish on top. Regular polyurethane will not work. If you leave a glass on it very long it will leave a permanent ring. I used a pour on finish. It has had all kinds of abuse and still looks like new.
The molding is from an extra run for a nice bar that was just finished built in town. Try calling around to a few mills (not the kind with the giant saws) to see if they have extra pieces or an over run. Mine makes a double curve and is about 5" wide. Bought for a fraction of what it would have cost to have made.
The one thing I would have done different is to let the top hang out about 6" more out front. The bar would not be kicked as much when you are in a bar stool.
Hope this helps.
[ March 27, 2003, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: beyondhelpin ]

Blown 472
03-28-2003, 05:44 AM
Thanks to everyone for there input. I have a basic plan and think I know where I am going with it.. I will put up picks when done.