PDA

View Full Version : ceiling in my house just collapsed!

rvrkaosI
07-29-2003, 02:16 PM
Crap! my ceiling has just collapsed in my bathroom!!!! Looks though a cold water pipe of my upstairs bathroom has been leaking internally. The drywall has been soaking like a sponge, and after cutting the drywall roof back, the water just started pooring out! cry
Looks like a insurance claim now!!!!!

Mandelon
07-29-2003, 02:18 PM
What about mold???? Is it moldy???

CaptStabin
07-29-2003, 02:23 PM
Yea, just the thing to do, go post it on a message board. Maybe is was caused by all the fumes?

Boozer
07-29-2003, 02:33 PM
Why not post it on this message board? I'd say considering that there are a lot of contractors on this board posting it here was a bright idea. I am sure there is someone on these boards that will help him out and take really good care of the problem for him.

ROZ
07-29-2003, 02:38 PM
Boozer:
Why not post it on this message board? I'd say considering that there are a lot of contractors on this board posting it here was a bright idea. I am sure there is someone on these boards that will help him out and take really good care of the problem for him. Or atleast get info on how to fix it himself....
Plenty of info here on the boards :)

CaptStabin
07-29-2003, 02:44 PM
Yea, mabye your right. Im sure somebody that has worked on boats and have the mechanical apptitude, could lend some advise.
But those who bought thier boat and are paying for 30 years and take it to the shop..............bwawawaaaaaaaaaa

XTRM22
07-29-2003, 03:11 PM
Hey RvrKaos1, What matl is the water line? if it's poly butlyn (sp) there is a national class action suit that might help recover some of the damages that insurance doesn't. Contact a Licensed plumbing contractor after your insurance agent. I believe Mr & Mrs FlyNVee are in that business, but don't know exactly where in relation to you, they might be a helpful source for info though.
Chuck

BiggusJimbus
07-29-2003, 03:35 PM
Also,
Beware of making ANY claim for water damage in the state of Kalifornia. The insurance companies are scared shitless of the mold problems and are treating any water damage claims as poison. Do a little internet searching to find out a bit more.
If the damage is superficial (Sheetrock and paint), you might consider just doing it. Water claims can double your insurance rates immediately. Can also make it hard for you to get insurance from any carriers.
http://www.mindfully.org/Industry/Mold-Insurance-Payouts-Double6jun02.htm
http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/insurance/nw/nw002205.php3
No shit. Be aware.
Good Luck.
Jimbus.
[ July 29, 2003, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: BiggusJimbus ]

rvrkaosI
07-29-2003, 04:03 PM
Mandelon:
What about mold???? Is it moldy??? The ceiling is beyond mold, in fact the roof of my bathroom is flexing due to water damage. Assiting the plumber, I cut the drywall to get a head full of water! The water must have been building up and no sign until the drywall just started to flex and give.
The plumbers are cutting my upstairs floor right now to get to the pipe. Also, they are cutting away in the garage as the pipe follows along the ceiling of my garage.
I hate this SH*T! Not that I'm doing the work, but the hearing of a guy cutting into my main beam, and the issues with dealing with insurance companies. I should have listened to my wife and bought a new house last year! I'm going to hear it "I TOLD YOU SO"!
The insurance issue, I think its going to cost plenty for this one! New floors, new ceiling in the bathroom, repair in the garage, definitely more than I have in the bank!

BiggusJimbus
07-29-2003, 04:06 PM
Sucks.
But I know how it is.
Hope it works out for you. Sounds like a mess.
Fact is, a new house could have similar problems, so she has no beef with you. Sometimes Shit Happens. And sometimes, it's really bad shit.
Good Luck.

OCStoker
07-29-2003, 04:08 PM
I hate this SH*T! Not that I'm doing the work, but the hearing of a guy cutting into my main beam, and the issues with dealing with insurance companies. I should have listened to my wife and bought a new house last year! I'm going to hear it "I TOLD YOU SO"!
I hope the are not cutting into a beam. More than your ceiling will be falling!

JetBoatRich
07-29-2003, 04:33 PM
You are alright, welcome to owning a home. Things happen except it and move on, should not be that bad. These things usually look worst than they really are eek!
Feel better :cool:

XClutchboy725
07-29-2003, 04:53 PM
Yeah, Welcome to the club!
Last year, two days before the first CBBB, our water purifier under our sink decided to let go and spray water in our house all day while we were at work. We are just now finally recovered from that whole mess! We did make a lot of upgrades though. Funny thing... our insurance rate hasn't gone up at all. Maybe it's because they had someone to go after (the guy we rent the purifying system from).
Everyone knows... It didn't stop us from going!! :D :D :D

Tom Brown
07-29-2003, 04:56 PM
ROZ:
Or atleast get info on how to fix it himself....
Plenty of info here on the boards :) I'd recommend upgrading to 1 ohm cementitious board for his bathroom ceiling.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-29-2003, 04:59 PM
BiggusJimbus:
Also,
Beware of making ANY claim for water damage in the state of Kalifornia. The insurance companies are scared shitless of the mold problems and are treating any water damage claims as poison. Do a little internet searching to find out a bit more.
If the damage is superficial (Sheetrock and paint), you might consider just doing it. Water claims can double your insurance rates immediately. Can also make it hard for you to get insurance from any carriers.
http://www.mindfully.org/Industry/Mold-Insurance-Payouts-Double6jun02.htm
http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/insurance/nw/nw002205.php3
No shit. Be aware.
Good Luck.
Jimbus. absolutely right. We are in the plumbing business and we know of 3 customers that got canceled because of water damage claims. Might want to run it by your agent first. Our agent is really cool tells us what to do and what not to do. Hope it helps.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-29-2003, 05:05 PM
XTRM22:
Hey RvrKaos1, What matl is the water line? if it's poly butlyn (sp) there is a national class action suit that might help recover some of the damages that insurance doesn't. Contact a Licensed plumbing contractor after your insurance agent. I believe Mr & Mrs FlyNVee are in that business, but don't know exactly where in relation to you, they might be a helpful source for info though.
Chuck Hey chuck thank you for the referral. We would help anyone here on the boards that had questions or work to be done. We do own our own business and do everything. If anyone is interested at any time. By the way whats up chuck. Need to get together soon. We owe you a cold one!!!

Mandelon
07-29-2003, 06:54 PM
Make sure you get all wet material out and remaining stuff dried as quickly as you can. Run fans and duhmidifiers. Don't wait! Check with a moisture meter.
Mold can grow in 24 48 hours, and the insurance probably won't cover it. I am very serious!!!! A bad problem can get 10 times worse if it stays wet for too long!!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/24Cypress_Terrace_028-med.jpg

chub
07-29-2003, 07:27 PM
My first home I bought brand new. Eighteen months after living there, I came home, opened the garage door and a water fall was coming down from the second floor bathroom. What a disgusting feeling! New, old, poo poo occurs. Get the fans runnin and open the windows it's gonna be a breeeeezy night. Be alert ask questions and make your decisions, remember you run the program. You 're gonna come out of this fine!

Mohavekid
07-29-2003, 08:49 PM
Just a heads up from an insurance guy perspective.
In California, Homeowners insurance rates have been going up for the last several years and will continue to do so because of waterdamage and mold claims. As a result, most insurers are becoming very selective on renewing policies with a history of water damage claims. You will also find it very difficult to find a new insurer when you have a water loss within the last 5 years.
The point of all this is before you make a claim, be sure the damage you have is worth the hassel and increased premiums you will pay sooner or later. If you have a relatively small $$$ claim, it might make more sense for you fix it yourself. Obviously if it's a bigger $$$ claim, turn it in ASAP. That's why you have insurance. Mandelon is right, get the mold situation under control ASAP. That can be some very bad stuff, some of it is toxic.
Good luck.

ROZ
07-29-2003, 08:59 PM
How long have you been in the house? I mean, if you've been there for less than a year and you asked the old owner to front for a home warranty, maybe you have some additional coverage, no?
Just a thought....
Oh, yea and um ,err,,,,like OCstoker said, watch out for that main beam wink :D
The may be a bright side...Who knows, maybe the wife ends up with a newly remodeled home...
I'm sure everything will work out in the end.

HCS
07-29-2003, 09:42 PM
I was going to post something, then I decided
**** it! Because that's my attitude. :p
:D

victorfb
07-29-2003, 10:19 PM
unless its an absolute must, i wouldnt report it to your insurance. you emediatly get red taged. and i mean the second you say it on the phone. BAM! no more insurance. they will say there is a mold issue and all sorts of other stuff. i know someone that is moving this weekend because she had to sell her house because if it. the new owner had trouble getting insurance and he is tearing it down to rebuild. its a fuc&ed up deal. but if you think you really really need to... well youve been warned.

HCS
07-29-2003, 10:22 PM
victorfb:
unless its an absolute must, i wouldnt report it to your insurance. you emediatly get red taged. and i mean the second you say it on the phone. BAM! no more insurance. they will say there is a mold issue and all sorts of other stuff. i know someone that is moving this weekend because she had to sell her house because if it. the new owner had trouble getting insurance and he is tearing it down to rebuild. its a fuc&ed up deal. but if you think you really really need to... well youve been warned. You know that's where I was going to go.
I had the samething happen.
If you can fix it yourself. :rolleyes:
To keep it short.

HCS
07-29-2003, 10:28 PM
The mold thing is bullshit!!
Once you remove it, it's gone.
You don't need to tent your house and quarantine
the hole neiborhood just because you have a little mold.
Just make sure you get it all out.

rvrkaosI
07-29-2003, 11:35 PM
well its 12:30, and the plumber left around 11pm. THe leak is under control now, the roof of my bathroom is gone, all was soaked. The floor of my upstairs bathroom is pulled back and has a hole where they had to cut a hole to tighten a new fitting. My garage has a hole the sized of my 6ft truck bed. They had to cut out an area to remove the 5 foot pipe and replace galvanzied with copper. Turns out a nail was touching the pipe and caused some sort of reaction. It took 40 years to rot the pipe, but it happened.
The plubmer is going to asses the damage tomorrow, hoping its not a fortune. He's a family friend, so he maybe generous, probably not though, it was a bitch of a job.
Thanks for all advice, I will call insurance agent tomorrow for advice on mercury insurance homeowners policy, if I should continue to file a claim.

XTRM22
07-30-2003, 05:28 AM
Galvanic corrosion I believe is the term that causes that and yes it falls under "S&^# Happens! The good news is your ceiling and floor is all opened up and being allowed to dry. Now go get a bottle of clorox, mixit about 50/50 with water and mist all the areas that got wet. Bleach is the easiest way to make certain mold doesn't start, then like everybody says run the fans and use a moisture meter to make sure it's dry be fore covering it all back up. The mold issue has become just like the asbestos issue 10-15 years ago, it is serious but the attorneys blew it way outa porportion. If your insurance agent is one you can talk to (mine is) I'd ask some questions, he or she may be able to help you out without it being a huge deal, it doesn't hurt to ask even if it's hypothetical.
That's my .02, and for what it's worth I've been building, remodeling, repairing and handling customer service on houses here in Az for 15 years. Good Luck
Chuck

C-2
07-30-2003, 05:49 AM
Getting black-balled as the result of a mold claim is a reality. If you get on that list, kiss your homeowners and any future applications for homeowners insurance with mainstream carrier’s goodbye. What’s even worse is the residence address itself (irrespective of ownership) will also be flagged.
Several people have pointed this out in this thread and they are absolutely correct. Think long and hard before filing a claim, and only pursue it if the claim is catastrophic.
The insurance industry maintains several databases that track all claims filed by an individual – ranging from workers comp to auto accidents, and apparently now mold or potential mold claims. Sad but true. And if your agent says no list exists – either he is simply not aware of it, and/or doesn’t have access to the list, or is lying.
Not trying to bum you out, just giving you a heads up.
You gotta do what you gotta do, so good luck on it and hope it works out.