PDA

View Full Version : Hey, what's for supper tonight?

FMluvswater
06-20-2003, 04:08 PM
Me and my kiddo are having fish sticks and rice and veggies. :D
It's one of the few meals I know he'll eat. Anyone got any fussy eaters in their house? Any recommends for easy meals that kid's will eat?

Aqua Boogie1
06-20-2003, 04:12 PM
Yeah, fish sticks, rice and veggies........ wink :D

FMluvswater
06-20-2003, 04:29 PM
Hey great idea! Thanks I'll try that! wink :D

Rexone
06-20-2003, 04:54 PM
Uhh, probably Arbys here frown

looky_lou
06-20-2003, 07:02 PM
I think its Top Ramin soup night at my house frown

malcolm
06-20-2003, 07:41 PM
Hey FM, my little girl likes spaghetti. Imagine that, that's what we had tonite! :D

FMluvswater
06-20-2003, 07:49 PM
malcolm:
Hey FM, my little girl likes spaghetti. Imagine that, that's what we had tonite! :D Yeah I guess kids tend to steer the supper menu in their favor just a lil bit eh? wink :)

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-20-2003, 08:11 PM
Mac and cheese is always easy. Hey I,m a poet and didn't know it!!!! :D

malcolm
06-21-2003, 08:17 AM
Her all time favorite right now are boneless chicken thighs cooked in the Foreman grill with white rice on the side. I kinda like it too, but our Foreman went out Thurs. night! :mad:

FMluvswater
06-21-2003, 01:21 PM
Mmm! Can my kid have your daughter's 'fussy' eating quirks? LOL! Sounds yummy to me too. :) Sorry to hear about your grill. :(
Tonight it'll be pizza and/or lasagna for us :D ... ex is bringing it when he comes to pick up kiddo ... *in my best Homer Simpson voice (and that ain't saying much!LOL!)* ..mmmmm ... pizza! :)

73kona455
06-22-2003, 04:50 PM
spaghetti.... with lean ground beef, sauted onions and garlic sauce.... and garlic bread.. always a winner with my son..and he is a very picky eater

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-22-2003, 05:01 PM
chinese stir fry served over rice and a side of fuzzy navel. :D

FMluvswater
06-22-2003, 05:06 PM
Yeah spaghetti does seem to be pretty popular with most kids ... even the choosier ones. wink :D
So far what my son will eat:
red soup (tomato) with
grilled cheese sandwiches
any kind of pasta and plain spaghetti sauce with sprinkle cheese (parmesan)
fries/ketchup ( US spells it :rolleyes: catsup lol ain't no cat in my ketchup :) ) and
fried chicken drumsticks
fish, rice, and veggies
mini chicken pot pies
plain scrambled eggs/ketchup
hot dogs
corn on the cob
I think that's about it ... I want to get him to eat more variety ... sneak more veggies in there somehow ... he's so resistant to trying new foods

JetBoatRich
06-22-2003, 05:06 PM
Roast and potatoes :D My wife is the best

spectratoad
06-22-2003, 05:17 PM
My boys like Ravilois, spaghetti, burrittos, shrimp, sushi, pizza and my fetuccini that I make from scratch.
But tinight the kids are at their moms so we get steamed veggies and Salmon :D

HammerDown
06-22-2003, 05:35 PM
I busted it up at a local China Buffet...luckly its close to my house...get my drift! eek!

Seadog
06-22-2003, 05:40 PM
For lunch, I grilled steaks, ribs and a salmon, with pinto beans. Tonight, its meatballs and noodles with my own sauce.
For kids, I recommend mini pizzas. Get cheese pizzas and add your own toppings.

FMluvswater
06-22-2003, 05:46 PM
Seems I forgot to put pizza on his list of likes but he only likes ham and pineapple pizza. Liking the idea of plain cheese mini pizzas with own toppings. Hmmm. Thanks Seadog. :)

spectratoad
06-22-2003, 07:44 PM
I thought that was Canadian Bacon instead of Ham?

hoolign
06-22-2003, 07:45 PM
Get your dancin tube steak here :D

FMluvswater
06-22-2003, 07:49 PM
spectratoad:
I thought that was Canadian Bacon instead of Ham? Canadian back bacon is a bit different than ham (it's more like porkchop only still pink like ham)my son likes ham. :)

FMluvswater
06-22-2003, 07:50 PM
hoolign:
Get your dancin tube steak here :D Hoolign you're such a lil piglet! But you get away with it cuz you make me laugh! :D

malcolm
06-22-2003, 07:56 PM
Funny, hoolign! My daughter said, "Is that poop comin' out!" ROTFLMAO! :D

HOSS
06-22-2003, 07:58 PM
We ate crawfish tonight.

malcolm
06-22-2003, 09:07 PM
Good news, the Foreman is back! I found a burnt wire inside and fixed it. Maybe it'll last a while longer. :D

hoolign
06-22-2003, 09:18 PM
malcolm:
Good news, the Foreman is back! I found a burnt wire inside and fixed it. Maybe it'll last a while longer. :D my foreman cooked some awsome chicken breasts tonight
[ June 22, 2003, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: hoolign ]

Seadog
06-23-2003, 05:33 AM
Hoss, they're called crawdads. Or in Boston, crayfish. Some friends of mine went to New England a while back. They decided to go to a fancy seafood place and eat some lobster. Being true cajuns from Lafayette, they decided it was just a big crawdad and began to eat accordingly. Then they wondered why everyone was staring at them.

spectratoad
06-23-2003, 05:46 AM
(it's more like porkchop only still pink like ham) So Pink on the inside? HMMMM Sounds good to me. :D

Seadog
06-23-2003, 05:56 AM
Kids often like to help make food. Try making individual omelets with a variety of fillings. Also cinnamon toast is a favorite snack that is real easy. Also try adding hot dog chunks to saurkraut. Other quick and easy meals are frito-chili pie, tostadoes, baked french bread sandwiches and french toast. One of my favorite party treats can be easily done. Get a package of quality frozen meatballs (quarter sized)and bake according to instructions. Take a 6 oz (?) jar of grape jelly (The old Flintstone's jar size)and a bottle of chili sauce Heat the jelly and chili sauce until blended together, add the meatballs and then simmer about 5 min.
I think the main thing is to have a little variety in a child's meals. A fussy child will grow to be a fussy adult. I was lucky in that altho we were not well off, my parents were able to expose me to lots of different foods. We did have to burn my Mom's copy of 101 Ways To Fix Hamburger. :)

spectratoad
06-23-2003, 07:52 AM
That is what we do alot. I let the kids sometimes makes their own breakfast and for school they pack their own lunch. We usually have "kids cook tonight" nights and whatever they want to do goes. It is fun and it let them makes some decisions. :D

FMluvswater
06-23-2003, 09:44 AM
wow! You guys are just full of great ideas! Thanks, Seadog and spectratoad! :D So you mean I should let Jacob get involved more not just in deciding what to have but in actually making it? I may need a chaperone to keep me calm because that will get messy wink . Messes can be cleaned, messes can be cleaned :rolleyes: sigh it's all small stuff ... I'm actually gonna share some of your ideas with his Dad too. Seriously thanks cuz truth is he may be 6 years old but I am still a new mom ... I'm still learning. :)

Seadog
06-23-2003, 09:59 AM
My Mom started to teach me how to cook when I was five. By the time I was in my teens, I could fix an entire meal from scratch. Once, at 12, I got up early and made waffles. That is when I learned that there is a difference between baking soda and baking powder. At 14, I made a pizza from scratch. Mom started me off with simple things like scambled eggs.
There are going to be some mishaps, but you will have a child that can take care of himself as an adult and when you don't feel good, someone that might fix supper for you.

FMluvswater
06-23-2003, 10:20 AM
Seadog:
My Mom started to teach me how to cook when I was five. By the time I was in my teens, I could fix an entire meal from scratch. Once, at 12, I got up early and made waffles. That is when I learned that there is a difference between baking soda and baking powder. At 14, I made a pizza from scratch. Mom started me off with simple things like scambled eggs.
There are going to be some mishaps, but you will have a child that can take care of himself as an adult and when you don't feel good, someone that might fix supper for you. But that sounds logical ... :D ...
At this age he has a natural desire to want to do stuff himself and if I remember right (from babysitting - so not the same as parenting but anyways) kids outgrow that desire to do it themselves if they aren't encouraged or worse discouraged ... I do want him to learn how to be self-sufficient ... I'll have to make more of an effort to let him learn how to make simple meals. :)

spectratoad
06-23-2003, 01:15 PM
FM, I am the same way. I hate messy kitchens (used to own a restaraunt) and I let them do little stuff. They make waffles, scrambled eggs, raviolis. Simple one item things so far. I have just begun to leave them alone at home if I have to run to the store and they are not allowed to use the stove when I am not here. They are 9 & 11. :D

FMluvswater
06-23-2003, 01:33 PM
I've only in the last month or so let him work the toaster! :rolleyes:
He's only 6 so it'll be a while yet before I have to be concerned about him being alone in the house.
What were your boys making at 6 ... if you can remember? Jacob wants to help cut stuff up and THAT makes me nervous. I think next time he and I have grilled cheese sandwiches I'll let him build them- maybe even flip them over when it's time ... is he too young for that?
My mom isn't the one who taught me how to cook- I learned how to cook at school in home economics when I was a teenager. That's why I don't know about little kids making meals.
Letting Jacob make stuff in MY kitchen is a very foreign concept to me but I'm willing to try it. :)

Seadog
06-23-2003, 01:58 PM
He is going to burn his fingers and get cuts. I'm sure you did the same in home ec. Better he learn his lessons when you are there to watch him.

FMluvswater
06-23-2003, 02:50 PM
I do know that's right ... I'm usually good at letting him fall down so to speak ... I don't think he needs a padded rubberised world and I sure don't want to run ahead his whole life filling in potholes for him. I just can't be expected to not cringe when he does fall, or cut himself or burn his fingers. wink :) I do gotta ease up though. It's just meals. It's just messes. It's just worth it to help him learn. :)