PDA

View Full Version : Viper Audio

SUPERCREWJOHN
07-24-2003, 03:15 PM
A friend of mine was thinking of using Viper Audio for his boat, anyone know anything about this brand other than it is owned by Daryl Issa?
Also what about PPI amps? anyone have any input..

Boozer
07-24-2003, 03:22 PM
SUPERCREWJOHN:
A friend of mine was thinking of using Viper Audio for his boat, anyone know anything about this brand other than it is owned by Daryl Issa?
Also what about PPI amps? anyone have any input.. I don't know anything about Viper Audio but I do know about PPI amps. Back in the day PPI amps use to be THE SHIT!! Now, PPI amps ARE shit. Owner sold the company and took it over seas now they are producing low quality mass produced amps. And the last time I checked it still took a nice sized token to purchase one.
Is your friend looking for high quality stuff? Or just big power and not to spend a lot to get it.

mbrown2
07-24-2003, 03:29 PM
I cannot comment from experience on the quality of viper, but I don't think it is top shelf gear, but still pretty good gear. However DEI owns VIPER and they own Precision Power, Lightning Audio, ADS and whole other slew of other companies...Can't imaging viper is that bad, but you need top notch amps in a boat to stand up to the heat and still put out power.

SUPERCREWJOHN
07-24-2003, 03:46 PM
mbrown2:
I cannot comment from experience on the quality of viper, but I don't think it is top shelf gear, but still pretty good gear. However DEI owns VIPER and they own Precision Power, Lightning Audio, ADS and whole other slew of other companies...Can't imaging viper is that bad, but you need top notch amps in a boat to stand up to the heat and still put out power. I was going to recommend JL Audio( 1 450x4 & 1 500x1). I've never had a bad experience with them along with JL W7 subs, Alpine SPX-F17T & Alpine SPX-17M ( 1 set of each) for the cockpit with an Alpine Head Unit where the volume controls are wired to the Helm..
Anyone think that would be a bad combination?

mbrown2
07-24-2003, 03:51 PM
That combination is probably one of the better ones you can get....the engineers that used to design for PPI, went to Xtant, and then to JL...so their Amps are great....and the W7's well pretty much up there in the top heap as well...Also, the Alpine gear is pretty good stuff...Not sure if it has skip protection...Some don't like Sony but that is the only thing I would go with in a boat due to the memory protection...my sister has the nice Clarion Marine unit in her 22 Nordic.....it skips on Parker and Havasu.

ROZ
07-25-2003, 12:33 PM
SUPERCREWJOHN:
mbrown2:
I cannot comment from experience on the quality of viper, but I don't think it is top shelf gear, but still pretty good gear. However DEI owns VIPER and they own Precision Power, Lightning Audio, ADS and whole other slew of other companies...Can't imaging viper is that bad, but you need top notch amps in a boat to stand up to the heat and still put out power. I was going to recommend JL Audio( 1 450x4 & 1 500x1). I've never had a bad experience with them along with JL W7 subs, Alpine SPX-F17T & Alpine SPX-17M ( 1 set of each) for the cockpit with an Alpine Head Unit where the volume controls are wired to the Helm..
Anyone think that would be a bad combination? The Directed gear is good stuff, but the combo you listed will sound spectacular and definitely rock! Those F1 status seperates are niiiice. At 1 500-1, is he only going with 10w7 or 2 8w7's?

U-Haul
07-25-2003, 01:43 PM
Take a look at the Zapco Amps. They are a bit larger but they work very well in the heat. Also take a look at Image Dynamics for your subwoofer. They are a great sub for the money.

azsyndicate
07-25-2003, 02:03 PM
I got a DEI and I have been very happy with it.
Mine is a 5 channel A/B, D hybird.
I had to install a FAN to run air over the amp, but that was because the area I installed it had no airflow.
So far I say that DEI is a good brand, Does that mean Viper is the same?

roln 20s
07-25-2003, 02:12 PM
I have a 1000watt 5 channel PPI Pro amp, all chrome that I bought abour 3 years ago. It is bad ass. I have heard though the quality is not the same anymore. They don't seem to have the brand power that they once did.
My amp powers JL 6.5's in my doors, the rear 4*6's that are filtering the lows out, and of course, the 2 JL Audio 10W0's under the rear seat. Never had one problem, and the power and sound quality is top notch.
Someone else mentioned the new JL Audio amps. A buddy of mine owns a couple stereo shops in the bay area and those are the only amps he has used in his personal vehicles and show vehicles since their debut-absolutely loves them!
If I was building a custom system today for a new SUV or Boat, I would buy Diamond Audio.
Roln 20s