PDA

View Full Version : New or Used? I/O or Outboard?

Justripit
07-21-2003, 10:43 AM
Hi All,
First post here but have been reading your boards for a while. With only a short time left on the new car payments the time has finally come for us to get serious about buying a boat.
The boat would mostly be used as a family "fun" type thing, skiing, wake boarding, tubing. Since we live in the midwest (30 miles south of Chicago) and I work hard in the summer, would be a couple weekends a month we would actually get to use it.
To start with we would like to keep the price around 40k and will go no higher then 50k, should we look at new, used? Should we lean towards I/O ?
I have been around boats for most of my life, but mostly fishing type. Ranger/Nitro's.
Looking for advice from someone who owns a sport type boat, and is not trying to sell me one
Thanks in advance.

NastyOne
07-21-2003, 10:54 AM
F-34

future boater
07-21-2003, 11:49 AM
nasty one- he said 50k not 150k. well you could get into just about any custom(under 25 ft.) for that money but you could get alot of used boat for that money. its all in what you prefer. this isnt much help to you but i would take my time and find a meticulously maintained used one. as far as the outboard i/o thing. i'd stick with a i/o or maybe even a jet considering the kid factor.
[ July 21, 2003, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: future boater ]

Freak
07-21-2003, 01:02 PM
Just wait a little longer. The end of the boating season will bring the good used deals. So you will not eat the depreciation of a new one. I/O and no more than a few years old. My .02
Something like the 24 Ultra here; http://www.magicpowerboats.com/currentinv/index.htm
If they still have it at the end of the season - you could get it at a good price. People will say it is underpowered but a Whipple could fix that and that is a good bargaining tool.
[ July 21, 2003, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: Freak ]

mtndewdrops
07-21-2003, 08:08 PM
Don't Buy Brand New unless you are damn sure you won't be selling for 3 years or more...Buy used and you can save alot of $$$ on depreciation and let someone else work out the bugs.
It is hard to find a used boat that meets all of your criteria, but you can compromise on the aesthetics and make sure you get the engine and drive that you want.
My first boat I bought 2 years old and I had it for 5 years. When I sold it I got back what I originally paid...try that with a new boat.
[ July 21, 2003, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: mtndewdrops ]

Justripit
07-22-2003, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the advice. All this research is driving me nuts.Just trying to get everything sorted out so we can be in a boat we want and fits our needs by spring.
Thanks again