PDA

View Full Version : HP Vs. Youth Part 2

Kindsvater Flat
03-15-2003, 10:33 PM
Her454 got me thinking about that issue with the kid and the blown nova. I did some searching of my discs and found 2 pictures I would like to share.
I'm a volunteer fire chief for the local fire dept. When I went on a vehicle accident call I recognized a friends daughters car. You could imagine the thoughts that ran through my head when I saw this.
http://www.saber.net/~atthefarm/folder/pics/camaro1.jpg
http://www.saber.net/~atthefarm/folder/pics/camaro2.jpg
All five kids walked away without a scratch and no alcohol was involved. This was the result of driving to fast. They hit a tree and sheared a pole 5' off the ground.

sidewound
03-15-2003, 10:41 PM
WOW,
Looks like that's gonna need more than a little Bondo. Peace Man
CESAR

sidewound
03-15-2003, 10:42 PM
OOPs,
Probably not a good place for my signature. I'm gone.

MJ19
03-15-2003, 10:51 PM
Those pictures remind me of a video my dad had me watch before I got my driver's license (actually he shared the video with my whole driver training class...I had an involved dad wink ) The movie was called "room to live" (I think) and it talked about how important is it to wear your seatbelt and other safety precautions because there is room to live within the cavity of the car even if it flips and crunches up pretty good.
When I look at your friend's car, I notice that it's pretty well trashed, but there is still 'room to live' in the cavity of that car and you mentioned they did all live. :D
No real point here, other then it reminded me of that video and how important it is to teach young (and often times old) drivers safety! :)
[ March 15, 2003, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: MJ19 ]

Kindsvater Flat
03-15-2003, 11:43 PM
Its funny how we think when we get older. With my son trying different things on his motorcycle and thinking of what I did when I was younger scares the shit out of me. Soon you will know what I'm talking about. The latest question is " So do you think I can take the boat when I'm 16?" I would trust him but dear old dad ain't ready to sit back and watch him have all the fun. :D

MJ19
03-15-2003, 11:51 PM
Kindsvater Flat:
thinking of what I did when I was younger scares the shit out of me. I rarely did stupid things, but WOW this one it was a doozy! :rolleyes:
[ March 16, 2003, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: MJ19 ]

Kindsvater Flat
03-16-2003, 09:05 AM
Now there's a story your not going to repeat to your children. :D

MJ19
03-16-2003, 09:34 AM
Kindsvater Flat:
Now there's a story your not going to repeat to your children. :D Yeah...maybe I should edit the evidence incase, this board is still around when they are able to read eek! :D

Her454
03-16-2003, 12:25 PM
Kindsvater Flat:
and thinking of what I did when I was younger scares the shit out of me. Ditto. I was safe as far as driving BUT I did RIDE with some idiots and I was lucky I didnt get killed. I always stress the fact that if you are somewhere and there is alcohol, CALL ME, regardless of the time, and I'll come get you. No questions asked, just call. Dont ride with people that have been drinking, or if she doesnt feel safe. I do let my daughter take the boat, and she used to take my ex boyfriends flat and handles them with respect, but it still makes me nervous every time shes out. I worry about other idiots.
eek!

Sangster
03-16-2003, 12:39 PM
My Three kids all have boats....Sometimes it's hard to enjoy the weekends knowing there out with the boats...They are purty responsible, But shit can happen..Especially when alcohol is added.. My son was in his Daycruiser last summer & was hit by a drunk kid in a Comp boat..Sheriff was right there and let him go..He had a beer in his hand at the time...there was very minor damage but thats not the point..Thank god for the kid he didn't hit his hydro...... wink

Her454
03-16-2003, 06:12 PM
Webster, when I lived in Havasu in 93, my husband and my daughter and I were floating in the boat and a jetski came right into the side of it and missed my daughter by inches...she was sleeping in the seat and never woke up. Almost sank us and the kid was only 13 if I remember correctly. eek! IDIOTS.

Tom Brown
03-17-2003, 12:34 AM
There is talk of mandating black boxes in cars in the next few years. My understanding is that some GM vehicles already have a basic form of black box in that the engine computer will save certain parameters after an airbag deployment. I don't know about other manufacturers.
It will be interesting to see how many accidents are caused by agressive driving.
-- Tom

MJ19
03-17-2003, 07:53 AM
Has anyone ever honestly timed the amount of time they save when they drive like a jackass? It's minutes, if that...I'd much rather have my life. I can't tell you how many times I've been passed in a danergous place only to pull up next to the jackass at the stop light miles ahead. I love that! I just look at them and grin :D
Another funny thing that cracks me up, is when drivers WAIT for a 'closer' parking spot.
H-E-L-L-O I park father down the row and still get in the store faster...many times they are still there 'waiting' for that closer spot. :rolleyes: Some people are so lazy it's amazing!
[ March 17, 2003, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: MJ19 ]

1stepcloser
03-17-2003, 09:12 AM
Uhh, Dave...
I dont think anyone mentioned alcohol in this topic as the cause of any problems.
In fact the opposite was posted. wink
So, "drink up" and have a nice drive. :D

sorry dog
03-17-2003, 10:28 AM
Ok RD - whatcha feel like fightin over?
I'm OK with alcohol while operating (within reason) so I guess we gotta find something else.

MJ19
03-17-2003, 05:00 PM
RiverDave:
I'm a dumb ass..
RD Thought I'd quote that in case it ever comes in handy for future uses :p wink :D

MJ19
03-17-2003, 06:14 PM
RiverDave:
I'm sure it will.. LOL
I make mistakes just like everyone else. wink
I'm starting to think one of them was opening my mouth in that What outfit were you in thread..
RD I'll still boat with ya, but you might have to get me a beer first :p wink :D