PDA

View Full Version : Boatcop

skeepwerkzaz
05-02-2003, 05:44 PM
Can I run velocity stacks w/o flame arrestors?
Thanks,
clay

Boatcop
05-02-2003, 08:38 PM
Sure. As long as they're metal and point straight up, and the carbs aren't enclosed in an engine cover.
Are you going for the individual type or the old "flower pot". (Not that it matters, I'm just curious.)

mickeyfinn
05-03-2003, 03:09 AM
Boatcop. I am from Georgia. Do you know whether that is true for velocity stacks here? I tried it once and recieved a warning. You think the guy just didn't know?

572Daytona
05-03-2003, 05:06 AM
Mickey,it appears that you do. Here's the quote from my Handbook of Georgia Boating Laws and Responsibilites:
"Because boat engines may backfire, all powerboats, (except outboards fueled with gasoline) must have a US Coast Guard approved backfire flame arrestor on each carburetor of every engine."
I found out the expensive way that baffles have been required since 2000 too.

mickeyfinn
05-03-2003, 02:22 PM
Yeah,
I was afraid of that. I got pulled a few years ago and was given a warning. I was hoping he didn't konw his own rule book.

Jbb
05-03-2003, 05:38 PM
572Daytona:
Mickey,it appears that you do. Here's the quote from my Handbook of Georgia Boating Laws and Responsibilites:
"Because boat engines may backfire, all powerboats, (except outboards fueled with gasoline) must have a US Coast Guard approved backfire flame arrestor on each carburetor of every engine."
I found out the expensive way that baffles have been required since 2000 too. Breakin the Law ..Breakin the Law...

572Daytona
05-03-2003, 07:06 PM
JETBOAT BRIAN:
572Daytona:
I found out the expensive way that baffles have been required since 2000 too. Breakin the Law ..Breakin the Law... If I had wimpy thru hull exhaust like yours they probably wouldn't even have checked. So, do you have baffles in your lightnings? Didn't think so wink

skeepwerkzaz
05-04-2003, 01:34 PM
Are the "flowerpot" ones the tulip shaped ones? If so those are the ones I think I'll run. Thanks for the info Alan. I am going to make the maiden parker voyage for memorial day. I'll post some pics soon of the entire project.
(4 1/2 years!!!)
Clay

fastvdriver
05-04-2003, 01:47 PM
you need to get a copy of the state hand book. every state is different.Oregon says that as long as the carbs are not enclosed and above the gunnel you don't have to have any flame arrestors. good luck

skeepwerkzaz
05-04-2003, 07:43 PM
Boatcop is a boatcop in my state.....just lucky I guess! :D