PDA

View Full Version : Amp Suggestions

EricU
03-06-2003, 09:24 PM
I am taking delivery of my new boat tomorrow and the boat comes from the factory with a 12" kicker sub and amp. I got some MB Quart seperates for the tower (yes it is a wakeboard boat!) and I want to run a seperate amp for the tower speakers.
The stereo shop that I normally use for my trucks and cars is quite a distance from the boat dealer and the boat dealer suggested a local stereo shop that he has used a lot. I talked on the phone with the stereo shop and the guy suggested using either Alpine or Rockford amps, of course that is the brands that he handles. In my cars I run either Eclipse or JL audio amps and have had good luck with both.
Anyone have any suggestions? I know alot of you SoCal guys have some pretty boomin systems. What amps are you using?
Eric.

mbrown2
03-06-2003, 09:30 PM
Buddy of mine has a 2002 Malibu V-Drive...sweet rig and his system rocks...He has 4 Sets of MB Quart Seperates down in the boat and 2 12 JL's, and the Boss 530's System on the tower with MB Quarts...He is Using Xtant amps X-series (3) for everything...600watt 4-channel for the down below seperates, 600watt 4-channel for the tower, and 1000D Class for the two subs...That boat rocks pretty hard...I know there are some sick boat systems on this board Froggy, and Dave to name a few, but the tower speakers really do the trick when you want to get the party started in a cove...good luck with your boat. :)

77charger
03-06-2003, 09:42 PM
another XTANT user here.I run a x604 i power 4 6x9s bostons and 1 kicker L5 10" sounds good to me.
Mbrown i can bet your buddys system rocks hard :)

mbrown2
03-06-2003, 09:51 PM
Yeah...his system rocks...I know there are clean systems in some boats on this board...but I have yet to be in a cove or sandbar and have some body louder than that boat...Only a tower can get that loud....he will probably be at OP6..he just bought a place in Havasu...He was also a Dave's B-day lower Sandbar get together last year..we pulled up and turned up...
[ March 06, 2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: mbrown2 ]

Jordy
03-06-2003, 10:03 PM
mbrown2:
He was also a Dave's B-day lower Sandbar get together last year..we pulled up and turned up... Was I drinking that day? :D
What happened to the 600 Supafly motor? I think you should check out something along the lines of the 650 at least, but more like the 675BB. The BB is for ball bearings. :D

ROZ
03-06-2003, 10:22 PM
EricU:
I am taking delivery of my new boat tomorrow and the boat comes from the factory with a 12" kicker sub and amp. I got some MB Quart seperates for the tower (yes it is a wakeboard boat!) and I want to run a seperate amp for the tower speakers.
The stereo shop that I normally use for my trucks and cars is quite a distance from the boat dealer and the boat dealer suggested a local stereo shop that he has used a lot. I talked on the phone with the stereo shop and the guy suggested using either Alpine or Rockford amps, of course that is the brands that he handles. In my cars I run either Eclipse or JL audio amps and have had good luck with both.
Anyone have any suggestions? I know alot of you SoCal guys have some pretty boomin systems. What amps are you using?
Eric. There are many amps out there that will do the job. Alpine v12 series, Dei, JBL, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate, Pheonix Gold, PPi, and Xtant to name a few....Since it's an amp you're familiar with, runs the JL's. :cool: They will not let you down. How can you beat 10.5v or 11v(amp depending) to 14.4v at 1.5ohms to 4 ohms you get the rated power?...Minimum. Easily one of the best amps on the market. Certain similarities to the older PPi's and Xtants...Yes, there is a story to that.
I'm sure the retailer you normally use would gladly ups them to the boat manufacturer...Let me know if they won't....I will.

mbrown2
03-06-2003, 10:29 PM
jordanpaulk:
mbrown2:
He was also a Dave's B-day lower Sandbar get together last year..we pulled up and turned up... Was I drinking that day? :D
What happened to the 600 Supafly motor? I think you should check out something along the lines of the 650 at least, but more like the 675BB. The BB is for ball bearings. :D Unfortunately or fortunately, I don't think we got the chance to meet, I was only around for about an hour, but I was near HB's boat for a bit...I think everyone was drinking just a little bit...I need a big motor that goes really fast...the guy at the motor shop told me about those 675BB's...I don't know if I can handle all that power.

Jordy
03-06-2003, 10:32 PM
HB's boat was tied up right behind RD's and right next to mine. HD&Boatrider was right behind both of our boats. I met so many people between jello shots that I think I had a memory overload. I'm sure we'll all meet up again once (so I'm being really conservative) this summer. :D

ROZ
03-06-2003, 10:34 PM
mbrown2:
Buddy of mine has a 2002 Malibu V-Drive...sweet rig and his system rocks...He has 4 Sets of MB Quart Seperates down in the boat and 2 12 JL's, and the Boss 530's System on the tower with MB Quarts...He is Using Xtant amps X-series (3) for everything...600watt 4-channel for the down below seperates, 600watt 4-channel for the tower, and 1000D Class for the two subs...That boat rocks pretty hard...I know there are some sick boat systems on this board Froggy, and Dave to name a few, but the tower speakers really do the trick when you want to get the party started in a cove...good luck with your boat. :) I don't even have to hear it to know it shreds....Those amps are definitely top notch. We took one of the 1001x's and ran it all day powering 8 jl 12's (4 2 12inch prowedges) in one of our sound rooms...Actually, all of our sound rooms were designed to run that configuration... Not a problem. Still wish we carried them.

77charger
03-06-2003, 10:39 PM
ya i bet roz but didnt i get one of the last x604s :D
BTW what is the story of the xtant ,ppis?

mbrown2
03-06-2003, 10:43 PM
jordanpaulk:
I'm sure we'll all meet up again once (so I'm being really conservative) this summer. :D Maybe just once or twice...The Game is on starting tomorrow..first trip of many starts tomorrow (In-Laws first River trip) oh'well have to play like the jungle boat cruise captain at Disneyland..."and off to the left is the no tooth local, who tend to be heavy into the turquoise, leather, and mullets...please don't stare, they have been know to shout obsceneties"...then next week will be the first spring break trip...When you going to drag the Yellow Velo Queen out?
BTW..Don't mean to hi-jack the amp thread. :)

ROZ
03-06-2003, 10:45 PM
77charger:
ya i bet roz but didnt i get one of the last x604s :D
BTW what is the story of the xtant ,ppis? Yup, and a fockin killer deal ta boot!
The common thread between the amps is the engineers.

77charger
03-06-2003, 10:48 PM
Roz you got that right.you definitely dont BS when you say i can hook you up on stereo equip.I remember you said that last year and when the time came up you held true to that! :) I put a good set up for 1/2 the cost.

mbrown2
03-06-2003, 10:51 PM
Roz, I will probably look you up when I am looking to upgrade my amps. Currently, running two MTX's, I forget the models, but the larger one is running the sub, and the smaller 4 channel is running the Boston separates...I think at the end of the season, I might upgrade for more power to the subs and seperates..What amp and speaker lines do you carry?

77charger
03-06-2003, 10:53 PM
what mi learned in stereo 101.You always want more noise!
man thaes beers have gotten to me :D

HCS
03-06-2003, 10:58 PM
77charger:
what mi learned in stereo 101.You always want more noise!
man thaes beers have gotten to me :D Same here...I need to rock! http://philtranfa.com/images/funny/smiles/buttrock.gif

mbrown2
03-06-2003, 11:01 PM
Nothing better than floating down Parker Strip blar'n a little Social Distortion Live at the Roxy.. http://philtranfa.com/images/funny/smiles/mohawk.gif

EricU
03-06-2003, 11:02 PM
So what about the Rockford amps running 275w per channel that the guy carries at his shop? Are they any good?
I am supposed to go to this guy's shop tomorrow if I can make it. The boat is scheduled for his shop this next Monday.
Hey MBrown2, how does your buddy's MB Quarts hold up in the boat? I have the MB Quarts in my cars, truck and house, would love to put them in the lower part of the boat also, if they will hold up to the water.
The boat comes with a bunch of speakers in the boat but I don't know what brand they are. The head unit is a Clarion, wouldn't have been my first pick. I was kind of supprised considering it is supposed to be the top of the line, king shit wakeboard boat.
Thanks, Eric. :confused:

HCS
03-06-2003, 11:07 PM
mbrown2:
Nothing better than floating down Parker Strip blar'n a little Social Distortion Live at the Roxy.. http://philtranfa.com/images/funny/smiles/mohawk.gif Social Distortion will put the amp to a test. http://philtranfa.com/images/funny/smiles/guitarist.gif

mbrown2
03-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Eric, the MB Quarts have held up for him no problem..they are placed so they are not getting water dumped on them. Also, they are not the Nautical Series, which MB Quart also makes.. Also, depending on the Clarion unit, they make some good head units. I am not too sure about the Rockford, have not used them, depending on the model/line, they may work great. It seems most makers have lower, middle, and higher end lines.
As long as you run enough good/clean power to reputable speakers you will be able to http://philtranfa.com/images/funny/smiles/drummer.gif

HCS
03-06-2003, 11:15 PM
I set my boat up last summer, nothing real exciting. But it cranks. You guys got some great info here keep it up.
Encore... http://smilies.crowd9.com/otn/realhappy/luxhello.gif

ROZ
03-06-2003, 11:23 PM
mbrown2:
Roz, I will probably look you up when I am looking to upgrade my amps. Currently, running two MTX's, I forget the models, but the larger one is running the sub, and the smaller 4 channel is running the Boston separates...I think at the end of the season, I might upgrade for more power to the subs and seperates..What amp and speaker lines do you carry? God, 'm so addicted to this shit it's not even funny wink Why are you going away from the Mtx's? People talk shit about MTX, but the amps are pretty good..especially for the money...Xtant is a Mitec division.
Anyway, I stock Alpine, Clarion Marine, Eclipse, Boston Acoustics, Panasonic, Pioneer Premier, MB Quart(nautical, too), Kenwood, and JL Audio...
I can get DEI, PPI, Pheonix Gold, JBL, Infinity, and Rockford Fosgate from "friendly dealers" and distributors. I can get almost anything. Atleast I try to :D
I've been having a problem with purple noen lately, but that's about it....

mbrown2
03-06-2003, 11:32 PM
ROZ:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mbrown2:
[qb] Why are you going away from the Mtx's? People talk shit about MTX, but the amps are pretty good..especially for the money.. I agree with you and that is why I am not sure about changing...its sounds great; and I would probably have to add lots of power and upgrade the sep's to Boston Pro's or some other high dollar sep's to really notice a difference..

ROZ
03-06-2003, 11:33 PM
EricU:
So what about the Rockford amps running 275w per channel that the guy carries at his shop? Are they any good?
I am supposed to go to this guy's shop tomorrow if I can make it. The boat is scheduled for his shop this next Monday.
Hey MBrown2, how does your buddy's MB Quarts hold up in the boat? I have the MB Quarts in my cars, truck and house, would love to put them in the lower part of the boat also, if they will hold up to the water.
The boat comes with a bunch of speakers in the boat but I don't know what brand they are. The head unit is a Clarion, wouldn't have been my first pick. I was kind of supprised considering it is supposed to be the top of the line, king shit wakeboard boat.
Thanks, Eric. :confused: Do you know what model amp it is? That rating sounds like a mox current/voltage w/ low impedance rating... It's probably a 150x4 amp...Where is the stereo shop? I'm surprised that the boat shop won't sell you a kicker 4 channel amp like the KX6004....since they have the kicker set up already

El Chingon
03-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Damn! I got purple neon on back order,too. :D

ROZ
03-06-2003, 11:47 PM
El Chingon:
Damn! I got purple neon on back order,too. :D Tell me about it...lol :D This is me waiting for it burningm cry

Jordy
03-07-2003, 08:35 AM
mbrown2:
When you going to drag the Yellow Velo Queen out?
BTW..Don't mean to hi-jack the amp thread. :) Hijack alert... :D
I don't know yet. Have to address a starter issue and do some carb fine tuning, add some more neon and she's ready to roll. Now I just need some warm weather.
Have a good time with the Disneyland Cruise this weekend. :D

nuboater
03-07-2003, 09:06 AM
...........I'm workin in Honolulu and you see a bunch of purple neon on 80's nissan sentra's out here.

Coach
03-07-2003, 11:29 AM
I have been very happy with the Crossfire amp that I have in my boat. They have a three year warranty on the product if installed by an authorized dealer. I acutally talked with the guys at crossfire and they were very helpful and answered all of my question. I felt the customer service was great, which convenced me to go with them.

EricU
03-07-2003, 12:31 PM
Hey Roz, (or anybody else) what do you think of the Alpine MRV-F540 amp?
Eric.

1stepcloser
03-07-2003, 01:17 PM
ROZ:
I can get almost anything. Atleast I try to :D
I've been having a problem with purple noen lately, but that's about it.... Yes. I know. wink
ROZ:
Tell me about it...lol :D This is me waiting for it burningm cry [/b] Hey, what a coincidence, I'm waiting for some too....
[ March 07, 2003, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: 1stepcloser ]

Party Cat
03-07-2003, 01:18 PM
77charger:
BTW what is the story of the xtant ,ppis? Probably somethin about PPI's, Xtant's and Squares Rock...... :D :D :D

Trouble Maker
03-09-2003, 07:39 AM
Couple of Alpine V-12's. No complaints..
wink :) :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/138Boat18-med.jpg

EricU
03-10-2003, 01:43 PM
I went with the bridgable Alpine V12 amp.
When I went to the guy's shop, I asked him to look into replacing the existing clarion 6 1/2" speakers with MB Quart's seperates for boats. Then the tells me that he's not a MB Quart dealer and that he uses something else.
What an idiot, I probably would have had him install three sets of the MB Quarts! Now I will just wait, pick up my boat and go to my usual stereo shop.
I run a business and I will sell you whatever brand you want!
Eric.

ROZ
03-10-2003, 02:36 PM
EricU:
When I went to the guy's shop, I asked him to look into replacing the existing clarion 6 1/2" speakers with MB Quart's seperates for boats. Then the tells me that he's not a MB Quart dealer and that he uses something else.
What an idiot, I probably would have had him install three sets of the MB Quarts! Now I will just wait, pick up my boat and go to my usual stereo shop.The MRVF540 is their biggest V12 4 channel amp...50x4 @ 4ohms and 12 volts. It will fullfill your needs.
EricU:
Huh?

ROZ
03-10-2003, 04:44 PM
Trouble Maker:
Couple of Alpine V-12's. No complaints..
wink :) :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/138Boat18-med.jpg Looks clean.....Here's one from the Image center.
Hopefully the owner doesn't mind that I put it here:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/274Amp_Cover-med.JPG

TrojanDan
03-10-2003, 04:52 PM
What's up ROZ? Got any purple neon? :D . Did you check out the pictures I posted on the RRX website?
You da Man. System thumps! :cool:

EricU
03-10-2003, 08:29 PM
Yeah I got the MRVF540. Can't wait to get the boat in the water.
ROZ:
EricU:
What an idiot, I probably would have had him install three sets of the MB Quarts! Now I will just wait, pick up my boat and go to my usual stereo shop.The MRVF540 is their biggest V12 4 channel amp...50x4 @ 4ohms and 12 volts. It will fullfill your needs.
EricU:
Huh? What I meant was that in my business if my clients want some product or brand that I don't carry, I will try my damnest to get it. This is why I have repeat clients. I don't want them to go somewhere else.
If it had been my shop I would have at least seen if I could get the MB Quarts. As is I will not be back to his shop.

ROZ
03-11-2003, 12:30 AM
EricU:
Yeah I got the MRVF540. Can't wait to get the boat in the water.
ROZ:
EricU:
EricU:
Huh? What I meant was that in my business if my clients want some product or brand that I don't carry, I will try my damnest to get it. This is why I have repeat clients. I don't want them to go somewhere else.
If it had been my shop I would have at least seen if I could get the MB Quarts. As is I will not be back to his shop. I hear ya man....I always try to get $hit we don't normally carry.