PDA

View Full Version : Who else had fun with the W32.Blaster?

bigq
08-13-2003, 07:19 AM
Spent half the day out at customers sites. What a waste of time those things create. :rolleyes:

carbonmarine
08-13-2003, 08:51 AM
NOt me..... But I will tell ya what is ****ed....
This morning I went tro msnbc to read some news as usual... they have a pop up that basically mimic that reaction of the virus. Anyhow, it says .... "fix detected" and so you click on it and its a software co. witha patch to fix it...
Pissed me off.... I had to contrl, alt, del and lcik out of Internet explorer....
****ers !
Rick

Ex-Con
08-13-2003, 08:58 AM
So you're the guy clickin' on those pop up banners- I thought everyone knew if ya stop clicking them people will stop paying to put them up....
"You have won a prize, click here" (sucker)

Mrs Scuba
08-13-2003, 09:15 AM
We've had this problem for the last 2 days at home and it's PISSING me off. How do I get rid of it? Also I have been getting a shutdown message on my computer which shows 1 minute til shutdown, we asked a friend and it's a virus, they showed us how to get rid of it, and it still comes up. What more do we have to do, damn virus, pop-ups, etc... :mad: burningm

Boozer
08-13-2003, 09:21 AM
Mrs Scuba:
We've had this problem for the last 2 days at home and it's PISSING me off. How do I get rid of it? Also I have been getting a shutdown message on my computer which shows 1 minute til shutdown, we asked a friend and it's a virus, they showed us how to get rid of it, and it still comes up. What more do we have to do, damn virus, pop-ups, etc... :mad: burningm Just reinstall windows. Problem be gone.

Mrs Scuba
08-13-2003, 09:29 AM
It was installed where I bought the computer. I bought it this year with an extended warranty, do you think they can reinstall on the warranty? I don't have the program to do it myself.

Kilrtoy
08-13-2003, 09:29 AM
GO TO MICROSOFT AND THEY WILL DOWNLOAD FOR YOU....
yES SPENT TO DAYS AND SO CASH. im pissed

Mrs Scuba
08-13-2003, 09:33 AM
Does this mean I will continue to have issues even if it is reinstalled? Or will it go away for good. How does this SH** even come up.
I used the computer on Sunday, everything good, no errors or problems, Scuba logged in on Monday and he started getting errors and having the computer shutdown. How does this happen? I thought you only got a virus if you opened an email or something with the virus in it. This is so damn frustrating.

bigq
08-13-2003, 09:35 AM
Mrs Scuba:
We've had this problem for the last 2 days at home and it's PISSING me off. How do I get rid of it? Also I have been getting a shutdown message on my computer which shows 1 minute til shutdown, we asked a friend and it's a virus, they showed us how to get rid of it, and it still comes up. What more do we have to do, damn virus, pop-ups, etc... :mad: burningm You need to install the patch first, go here MS patch (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp) and scroll down to where you see your operating system ie.. XP, 2000, then download it and install it.
After that make sure the virus software is updated and run a full system scan to remove the virus. If you dont have virus software you can go here Blaster Fix (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html) and get the free removal tool download it and that should cure the problem.
After that try going to the windows update site and get all the security updates, although it has been a very slow site the couple days for obvious reasons.
Hope this helps.

bigq
08-13-2003, 09:40 AM
Mrs Scuba:
Does this mean I will continue to have issues even if it is reinstalled? Or will it go away for good. How does this SH** even come up.
I used the computer on Sunday, everything good, no errors or problems, Scuba logged in on Monday and he started getting errors and having the computer shutdown. How does this happen? I thought you only got a virus if you opened an email or something with the virus in it. This is so damn frustrating. Please don't reinstall Windows, I hope Boozer was making a funny. This virus did not need an email it came through an open port which is like a window or door in your house. Anyway you could invest in a residential router and that would help if you are on DSL or cable I would seriously consider one.
Good Luck

Mrs Scuba
08-13-2003, 09:45 AM
Thank You, I will try it as soon as I get home. I hope it works too. I've been getting fed up with it and was about to throw my computer last night, hopefully I won't have to resort to that. Thanks again, and I will let you know if it works.

Boozer
08-13-2003, 09:50 AM
bigq:
This virus did not need an email it came through an open port which is like a window or door in your house. Anyway you could invest in a residential router and that would help if you are on DSL or cable I would seriously consider one.
Good Luck Or rather then buying equipment you may not need go get this www.zonealarm.com (http://www.zonealarm.com) Works very well for only being a software firewall. I used it for a long time before I went with a physical firewall and was very pleased with it. Actually considering putting it back on because the stupid physical firewall is a pain in the ass and doesn't even work half of the time.

SCUBA STEVE
08-13-2003, 09:52 AM
Mrs Scuba:
Thank You, I will try it as soon as I get home. I hope it works too. I've been getting fed up with it and was about to throw my computer last night, hopefully I won't have to resort to that. Thanks again, and I will let you know if it works. My tech at work just gave me the blaster fix thing on a disk. So we'll try that too. I am a techno turd when it comes to these things.
Thanks for your input bigg. :D
:D

RP
08-13-2003, 09:53 AM
Anyway you could invest in a residential router and that would help if you are on DSL or cable I would seriously consider one.
Good Luck [/QB][/QUOTE]
True... I have a router at home and have not had any problems with the virus on either computer connected to it.
On the other hand, it has infected four of my computers at work that are T1 connections... the patch took care of the problems though.
Good luck!

SS Havabrew
08-13-2003, 09:58 AM
bigq:
Mrs Scuba:
We've had this problem for the last 2 days at home and it's PISSING me off. How do I get rid of it? Also I have been getting a shutdown message on my computer which shows 1 minute til shutdown, we asked a friend and it's a virus, they showed us how to get rid of it, and it still comes up. What more do we have to do, damn virus, pop-ups, etc... :mad: burningm You need to install the patch first, go here MS patch (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp) and scroll down to where you see your operating system ie.. XP, 2000, then download it and install it.
After that make sure the virus software is updated and run a full system scan to remove the virus. If you dont have virus software you can go here Blaster Fix (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html) and get the free removal tool download it and that should cure the problem.
After that try going to the windows update site and get all the security updates, although it has been a very slow site the couple days for obvious reasons.
Hope this helps. This is the correct couse of action! My buddy is the Data Center Mgr at AmeriQuest Mortgage and they got hit hard to say the least. Been working on it the last 2 days. He called me when it hit them to warn me about it. We missed it thank god. I was able to update our AntiVirus server in time. wink