PDA

View Full Version : A Year Ago Thursday, Death Came On Wings

Free Agent
05-17-2003, 02:04 AM
The roar of engines in the night, in my kids ears,, means fun. It's the sound of the river.
(Glamis and Dumont Dunes too, but that's another story).
One night, a year ago this Thursday, is a night we'll never forget.
Two boats roared by our campsite at Emerald Cove, and one hit the rocks at a very high speed.
The other boat returned with the people aboard yelling "you guys allright,,, you guys allright?
All they heard back was the crashed boats engine still running at full throttle.
The Buckskin Fire Dept was on the scene in minutes. Then minutes later,, the first body was brought up to the beach at our campsite.
A fireman told me; "We're going to have to borrow your Cabana for a little while", as the first deceased was placed next to the picnic table, eyes still open, dripping wet in his bathing suit.
The Buckskin fireboat headed back to the crash site,, not more that a few hundred feet away. It returned a few minutes later with the next poor soul who didn't survive either.
A story quickly spread through the crowd on the beach to the firemen that a girl was on board with them,,, one was seen with them when they left the Roadrunner a few minutes earlier. At least,, that was the story, right or wrong, so the Fire Dept returned to the impact site and began the search for the girl.(Turned out they had dropped the girl off before the accident, but had a third male friend with them).
Back at my campsite my kids turned to me as always,, expected me to fix things,, make things right for the two victums laying there in front of us. In their eyes, mom and dad can always make thing go better,,, but this time it wasn't a broken bike, or toy,, it was people. In the kids eyes,, they were somebodys dad or son or loved one that needs help real bad,,, so they turned to dad.
I looked back from the beach,, and a nephew was trying to wake one of the deceased up,, tried opening his eyes and rocking him.
Of course then we got the kids away,, and then the firemen returned and placed plastic tarps over them.
The night was so quiet after the Fire Dept shut off the motor of the crashed boat.
The Buckskin fireboat was strangely silent as it went about it's task helping the firemen. It's well suited to it's job,, a sad job none the less.
As my kids sat on the picnic table next to the victums, we discussed how we felt,, that somebody was soon going to get some really bad news about their loved ones. Stories will be told of their first steps as a child,, their first christmas bicycle,,, well,, the kinda things that little kids think of,, stuff that in their little world is so important,,
Minutes ago they were alive enjoying life to it fullest,, days ago perhaps helping out a family member or prepairing to go to the river,, and now,, their lives are over right here in front of us, and nothing dad could do about it.
I still to this day feel so bad about this incident,,We've encountered more than our share of mishaps on the river. But we all hope that the families of the two people brought up to our campsite, and the third later recovered, have finally found peace in such a tragic loss.
The humble guy you see at the boat show in the Coast Guard Aux uniform handing out safety info and cool cups has a different meaning to us now. Cornball and as sappy as it seems,, we understand where this guy is coming from.
-The Turbo Family

Rexone
05-17-2003, 02:19 AM
Wow, sad story and one of so many I've heard and been around in racing and years at the river. :(
I know it sounds cliche, but be careful out there guys, don't drink and drive... you know the drill. Memorial is comin and statistically some boaters are likely not gonna be comin home. Safety first. :)
[ May 17, 2003, 03:19 AM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

LaveyJet
05-17-2003, 05:37 AM
That's a real tragic sad story; I share your feelings for the families who suffered a loss. I also hope you and your kids are ok.

05-17-2003, 08:31 AM
A sad story indeed but the saddest part is that and similier storys will be played out many times in the future. Too bad that some will not learn from the experences of others, and the fire and rescue crews will continue to be gainfully employed.

JetBoatRich
05-17-2003, 08:43 AM
What a terrible story, I hate when kids have to see the reality of life and not playing safely.
Even tougher to explain to them, for ever engraved in their minds.

HCS
05-17-2003, 08:53 AM
Very sad. :( Hope I never experience anything like that.
36 years boating and Iv'e herd the stories but never witnessed any, and hope to keep that way.

Free Agent
05-17-2003, 09:05 AM
Three times last summer an entire 30 foot dock washed ashore at Emerald. We'd wake up in the morning and there it was stranded on the beach.
Double thick pieces of 3/4 plywood, 30 feet long double wide (8 ft),,supported by blue plastic barrels attached to a thick galvanized frame under it.
It had drifted several miles down the river at night. Had anyone hit it,, it would have been a tragedy.
Think about it. Hitting a Double thick 3/4 plywood, covered with blue astroturf,, 30 feet long 8 feet wide dock at night. Imagine what it weighs.
The owner of this dock, (a coke head electrician from LA) once he realized it was gone,, knew where to come and retrieve it. He'd tie ropes to it, and tow it back up river with his pontoon boat to his place, then re-attach it.
Finally the third time it appeared,, an early morning knock was at my RV door and a couple of Sheriffs were asking around if anyone had a saw.
Yep, I had the 24v De Walt Sawsall in my truck, and plenty of blades and batteries, and we spent the next hour taking turns cutting up the dock in small pieces, and fitting it into campground dumpsters.
Last memorial weekend we had several other incidences at Emerald.
A young boy hit the beach full speed on a Sea Doo and by grace survived,, and a genius on a jet ski jumped a boats wake off shore from us, then fell off the jet ski, his hands landing in the boats prop mangeling them pretty bad.
We drove him to the hospital in Parker,, no time to wait for help,,I don't need to mention to you about jet skis,, I'm preaching to the choir,,,
These incidences go in cycles,, and we often go years and years with nothing more that people tradeing gel coats from a poorly judged U turn,,,
Just because ya have a super fast, fun, hot boat doesn't mean it's any less fun not being safe and taking a few precautions,,,
Let's hope for a safe Memorial Day.
-The Turbo Family

HP350SC
05-17-2003, 09:14 AM
That is a tragic story indeed. No doubt it had a profound effect on you and your family. What a nice gesture to keep their memory alive, it helps in the healing process. Recently while watching the local news with my two sons, a story so sad prompted us to take action. A 17 yr. old boy high on methamphetamines burglarized a home in Hillsboro,OR. and murdered the father who was trying to protect his 5 yr. old son. The attacker then attempted to kill the boy with a golf club, scissors and God knows what else. The boy lost over half his blood until he was discovered by the fathers co-worker. Michael survived the attack despite many head and defense wounds, he is one brave boy! I did not know this family, but felt compelled to help out in any way possible. I organized a collection fund at my employer(Courtesy Ford) and we raised approx. $1600. We have purchased a log swingset/fort/slide for Michaels back yard and my sons and I, along with Michaels stepfather are going to deliver and set it up next week. I cannot imagine what images Michael may have in his mind or how he will later be affected by them. But maybe he will also remember the kind gestures of all of us involved and know that there are people in this world who care.

Dribble
05-17-2003, 09:22 AM
Wow
Thanks for the very well written reminder about safety, common sense and dinking. I know I've done some reckless things (still recovering from a badly broken leg that didn't need to happen). I'll think about your post each time I go out this year.

hoolign
05-17-2003, 09:27 AM
I hope everyone has a safe weekend

gottaminute?
05-17-2003, 12:51 PM
strange how these things happen. I was moving my "beater" truck around the yard this morning and sticking out of the dash was a business card from Chris (one of the lost).RIP amigo.

DickDanger
05-17-2003, 01:02 PM
You guys sound like bad luck just follows you. Let me know where you are gonna be so that I can steer clear!!!! -DD Out

Free Agent
05-18-2003, 06:00 AM
DickDanger:
You guys sound like bad luck just follows you. Let me know where you are gonna be so that I can steer clear!!!! -DD Out Did I really deserve that cheap shot?
[ May 18, 2003, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: Free Agent ]

HCS
05-18-2003, 06:10 AM
DickDanger:
You guys sound like bad luck just follows you. Let me know where you are gonna be so that I can steer clear!!!! -DD Out I try and steer clear of trouble also. Certain parts of the Sacramento River Delta are nuts. There's people on top of people drinking and driving like assholes. I stay away from it. HCS out!
:p

HCS
05-18-2003, 06:12 AM
Free Agent:
DickDanger:
You guys sound like bad luck just follows you. Let me know where you are gonna be so that I can steer clear!!!! -DD Out Did I really deserve that cheap shot? It's just DD. :rolleyes:

Windy
05-18-2003, 06:22 AM
:( :( :(
I wish your family nothing but good stories about the river from here on out.
Take care,
MissHBjet

DickDanger
05-18-2003, 08:24 AM
Trust me, Free Agent, that wasnt a cheap shot at all. That was a bit of trying to take a bad situation, and find a little humor in it. If I had wanted to take a cheap shot, I would have been much more brutal than that. Thich skin is a must on here. Peace, brother. -Dick "Where is Haight-Ashbury?" Danger Out
[ May 18, 2003, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: DickDanger ]

Dribble
05-18-2003, 04:55 PM
Hey Hardcore,
Were you at the river the day that dumbass in the blown Tahiti sprayed everyone on the beach with his diverter, knocked over all their shit, and then came back? He almost died that day too.

HCS
05-19-2003, 10:04 AM
Dribble:
Hey Hardcore,
Were you at the river the day that dumbass in the blown Tahiti sprayed everyone on the beach with his diverter, knocked over all their shit, and then came back? He almost died that day too. Sounds familiar. I've seen dumb shits do stuff like that. :mad:
:rolleyes:

78Eliminator
05-19-2003, 10:19 AM
My cousin lost her leg when she was 6 years old. She was playing behind the boat with her brother when my drunk uncle started the boat, didn't look behind himself and backed into her. If my aunt wasnt a nurse, she would have bled to death for sure. Her leg was barely hanging on at all and was too butchered to reattach.
I'm not going to turn this into another drinking and driving thread, but be careful. And for christs sake be extra careful when you have kids around. I personally would never take my kids out on a holiday weekend....

SCUBA STEVE
05-19-2003, 10:21 AM
Sad story, I havent seeing anything like that just yet, I hope I never have too. I can only imagine what it must be like to experiance it first hand. Safety first, party later. Holiday weekends are not made for speed, save the speed show for the poker runs.

HCS
05-19-2003, 10:23 AM
78Eliminator:
My cousin lost her leg when she was 6 years old. She was playing behind the boat with her brother when my drunk uncle started the boat, didn't look behind himself and backed into her. If my aunt wasnt a nurse, she would have bled to death for sure. Her leg was barely hanging on at all and was too butchered to reattach.
I'm not going to turn this into another drinking and driving thread, but be careful. And for christs sake be extra careful when you have kids around. I personally would never take my kids out on a holiday weekend.... Lucky for me there's places to go around here where there's not a bunch of people. :rolleyes:

SCUBA STEVE
05-19-2003, 10:30 AM
My job also gives us a Basic first aid course for free. I have learned cpr, & some other basic things. I figure knowing just a little bit of something would be better then just standing there doing nothing if a tragedy were to happen.
Always carry pair of latex gloves with you. Scuba Steves tip of the day.
[ May 19, 2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: SCUBA STEVE ]

LaveyJet
05-19-2003, 10:37 AM
One of these days I have to tell the story, but not now. I will say this, After a dozen surgeries, I still have two legs , I get around just fine and I don’t wake up screaming anymore. I’ve been lucky enough to get a “Secondchance” and take full advantage to live life at its fullest :) . Alcohol was not involved. $hit happens. BE CAREFUL!!!
PS I now own a jet and always will.

HavasuDreamin'
05-19-2003, 01:48 PM
All I can say is Damn........ :( :( :( frown