PDA

View Full Version : wake skate

Raskal
07-13-2003, 08:58 PM
anybody tried it and how much harder than wake boarding

roln 20s
07-13-2003, 10:25 PM
I don't think its much harder than wakeboarding when it comes to just riding, but it does take some good skills to jump, etc.. I like to jump wake to wake, of course I have to hold the board (not that good of control otherwise), but must say I have landed numerous times without the board and its not to pleasant, unless you're in the boat watching. But overall, I actually enjoy it more than wakeboarding. If you can get up on a wakeboard and ride, then you can wake skate.
Good luck and let me know how it goes.
What wake skate are you using? I have used the Sponge which I loved, but instead of spending extra money, we took an old wake board, put skate board grip take, and ride it with a pair of Vans--coolest wake skate out there! hehe
Roln 20s

Caribbean Jet
07-14-2003, 07:10 AM
I just tried Wake skating a couple of weeks ago and it is really fun. I also enjoyed it more than wakeboarding. I have found that there are a couple of different types of boards. I used one that was small and sort of looked like a big skateboard. somebody from the boards gave me a cool web site to check out.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/72547.html?1057275439
Sorry cut and pate it.
Have fun

flat broke
07-14-2003, 07:31 AM
Contact Holy Moly from the boards. Last I knew he was starting a new wakeskate company. At the very least, I know he has a lot of good info in relation to board construction/performance.
Chris

got river?
07-14-2003, 12:10 PM
The post to wakeworld shows guys wakesurfing, which is done right behind the boat (obviously not a good idea unless you have a jet or Tourney style boat). Wakeskateing is done with the same length rope as wakeboarding.
Wakeskating is a fun time...and is a relatively inexpensive way to have some fun as most wakeskates can be bought for much less than a wakeboard/bindings setup.
Here is a link to some wakeskate pics on wakeworld:
wakeskate (http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/68124/68351.html?1054608594)
Enjoy!
Josh

Caribbean Jet
07-14-2003, 12:13 PM
That web site is really cool. More of the info that I was looking for when I first asked about wake skating. thanks for the web site.

HM
07-14-2003, 12:33 PM
Did someone say wakeskate?? :D
Wakeskating is quite easy and I too have more fun on a skate than a regular wakeboard. It is a bit more "slippery" at first until you get used to not having your feet get strapped in. You get up like a regular wakeboard (assuming you get up properly). Lay your heels in the middle (about a of the board with the board in front of you and perpendicular to the rope. As soon as the boat start to idle out and the line tightens, allow the board to "pop up" against your feet - then yell "Hit it, Ceasar", and get on up!
If you have trouble, I am always looking for a reason to get out on the lake!
Things to be careful of:
Grip tape works great, but can cut you up like a cheese grater.
Astro Deck style is not as grippy, but is less abrasive on the skin.
Use "Vans" style of canvas shoes if possible as they don't get act as big of sponges as regular tennis shoes and are cheap. Don't spedt the $$ on wakeskate shoes. An old pair of regular tennis shoes will work for a while - but they swell and shrink.
Also, most people go 2-4 mph slower on a skate than a regular board.
Everyone at the CBBB last year saw me in a leg brace from tearing my MCL on a wakeskate.
And it is true, I have started my own wakeskate company, The (909), but I am still a long way away from selling anything. Currently, all my prototypes are up in Emeryville having friction tests and water resistant tests and combinations of both being done on them. I personally feel that most of the stuff on the market is junk and is why I started my own company. If you want to know why I think they are junk, pm or e-mail me for more info. I have been a bit slower in moving with this project as I have been promoted in my day job to regional sales manager and my other side business is really taking off.
Check my web page www.the909.com (http://www.the909.com) occasionally for updates.

roln 20s
07-14-2003, 12:40 PM
HolyMoly-
When you get this company up and running, let me know. I will buy a wake skate. Plus, I left my bro's first sponsorship Dynaride wakeboard on the deck of the Malibu, gunned it, and of course, lost it. I would like to have a one-off custom wakeboard made for him to replace it. Let me know if this is something you would be interested in working on. I was thinking something with a black base, and blue (dark, light and in between) flames off the end. What do you think? Plus I would like some sponsor type names built into the board- Malibu Boats, sick tight productions, etc...
This could be a great project and plenty of advertising--he competes all the time here in Phx and rides with the advanced crowd!
Thanks,
Roln 20s

HM
07-14-2003, 01:18 PM
I am into it!
e-mail me at holymoly@the909.com

roln 20s
07-14-2003, 01:25 PM
I'm emailing you. Thanks, glad you're into it!
Look forward to talking to you.
Roln 20s

Raskal
07-14-2003, 08:31 PM
If you have trouble, I am always looking for a reason to get out on the lake!
holymoly
where do you live in the grand 909? i am always tring to get someone to go with me wakeboarding and i have never tried to wake skate yet. thinking of buying one just not sure which one .and i have a hard time getting people to go as much as i like .