PDA

View Full Version : 5.3L Tahoe upgrades??

B-rad502
07-19-2002, 06:03 PM
I know some of this has been brought up before, but, have any of you put on any aftermarket stuff on your 5.3?? Just got our new Tahoe and was wondering what I can expect out of an air intake upgrade, exhaust, etc. Thanks in advance! :)

1quickjet
07-20-2002, 02:39 PM
B-rad 502, I installed a Volant cold air intake first, and noticed not much power increase, but much better throttle response and a decent increase in mpg. Second I installed a Gibson swept side (single outlet) and noticed much more torque when towing (never noticed anything untill I towed Chiriaco Summit grade). Towed considerably better, a little more mpg and even better throttle response. Third I installed Hypertech's power programmer (out of nessecity, I run 35" tires and wanted speedometer correction) and I didn't notice a whole lot other than a little more power throughout the rpm band. Feels like it is stronger through the mid too. None of these yielded incredible results each, however the combination is pretty impressive. When I drove a stock one after mine, it felt like a pig. Feel free to e-mail me for anymore details. Good luck. 1QJ

SuperWrench0166
07-20-2002, 03:51 PM
I have installed the Airraid cold air filter kit.
the throttle body spacer. Granatelli mass airflow sensor after cat exhaust and played with teh hypertech programmer. Talk about a diff wow

searssears1
07-20-2002, 04:04 PM
B-Rad502, call my brother up.He is the owner of Sport trucks by Dean.His wife has a bad ass Tahoe with a super charger and a bunch other trick shit. His # is 1-805-529-3844,If you want it to go fast he will hook you up in the right direction.

DogHouse
07-20-2002, 07:44 PM
I hear the 8.1 makes a nice upgrade!!!
-brian :D
ps: Just messin' with ya Brad! I've been thinking about some of those upgrades myself. I suspect the 8.1 has a lot more in it just waiting to come out and play. Another mpg or two would be a welcome addition!

B-rad502
07-20-2002, 09:46 PM
What's cool about this vehicle, is we don't have to tow with it! Still have the Dodge V10 for that. So, we can just toy around with our "Family Truckster!"
Thanks for the feedback guys! :)

core attitude
07-22-2002, 12:27 AM
I have a sub with the same motor. Supercharge that thing you wont regret it, that will also get you the programer and intake. Add to that a good single out exhaust and full headers and you'll be set. If you do that you might also want to get an escalade gauge cluster for the 120mph speedo and tranny temp among other things, it slips right in.
The super charger without a doubt made the biggest differance and it really needs the other mods listed to work to its full potential. Other mods really haven't made that much of a differance. I've been the other side of 120 (on gps) with that set up and I'm four wheel drive.
I have a good forum link for Chevy truck/sub performance I'll post when I get home, lots of good feed back.
Pete

core attitude
07-22-2002, 12:44 AM
Found the link http://www.pacific-audio.com/performance/discussion.html If you need I can point you to a few of the people who helped with my truck. The motor has been finished for 40k miles and I've never had a single problem.
Pete

BowTie Rick
07-22-2002, 07:29 AM
A K&N intake (get the original not a knock off) and a cat-back exhaust will give you up to 18 - 20 more ponies. http://www.knfilters.com/images/FIPK/57-3023.jpg

B-rad502
07-22-2002, 07:34 AM
Thanks guys! :)
The supercharger thing can't happen because we have an extended warranty that's pretty important to us. :)

HAVASU DCB
07-24-2002, 08:03 AM
Get a Catback exhaust! and headers!
www.gibsonperformance.com (http://www.gibsonperformance.com)

wannajetboat
07-24-2002, 08:00 PM
B-rad502, the 8.1L is a great upgrade, I just traded my 2001 Tahoe in on a 2001 2500HD, what a truck, I think it would pull my house if I neede it to, and no I don't live in a trailer park. hehehe... :D :D :D :cool: :cool: :D :D :D

kcm21
07-28-2002, 02:46 PM
HAVASU DCB I HEARD GIBSON IS ALL SHOW NO GO!!!!! HA HA JUST KIDDING CHRIS I LOVE MINE IT KICKS ASS. AND SOUNDS GREAT TO. HEY CORE ATTITUDE HOW MUCH DID YOUR SUPERCHARGER COST AND DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHERE TO GET IT DONE AT?????

VanDeano
08-02-2002, 03:53 AM
I have a 97 Suburban K1500 5.7 with the Jacobs ign.($500) K&N Filter Kit,($275) Throttle body spacer,($95) Flow masters,($250) and Hypertec 160 degree set up.($285)
Everyone of those items promised better fuel mileage, NOPE not 1 bit of defference. If anything it is worse.
Performce:
Maybe there was a little the first couple of miles, but after that I honestly believe I lost performance. My buddy works for the GM, and he states that the OBD (on board computer) recognizes when u install after market parts.
And after a few miles of driving the computer will adjust what ever it takes to put the vehicle back to it programed state. That explanes why I may have notice a bit of better performce at the first couple of miles.
Since he told be that I put everything back to stock except for the mufflers and the K&N filter (with the stock housing). I couldn't be happier.
If you really think about, Don't u think if there was other ways of getting better gas mileage or better performce the GM engineers would have down it. That is just my 2 cents...........

BowTie Rick
08-02-2002, 09:10 AM
I have a 97 Suburban K1500 5.7 with the Jacobs ign.($500) K&N Filter Kit,($275) Throttle body spacer,($95) Flow masters,($250) and Hypertec 160 degree set up.($285)
Everyone of those items promised better fuel mileage, NOPE not 1 bit of defference. If anything it is worse.
Well, I can guarantee you that K&N does not promise better gas mileage as I work there. Gas mileage is determined by how you drive. Intake and exhaust have the greatest impact at mid to upper RPMs, especially throttle body spacers. If you drove conservatively before making changes you may see no gain or even lose some. You may even tend to drive harder to "feel" the increased performance which is not good for comparing before and after mileage. If you drove hard to begin with, then you get the big gas mileage gains. We lead foots can attest to that : )
Maybe there was a little the first couple of miles, but after that I honestly believe I lost performance. My buddy works for the GM, and he states that the OBD (on board computer) recognizes when u install after market parts.
And after a few miles of driving the computer will adjust what ever it takes to put the vehicle back to it programed state. That explanes why I may have notice a bit of better performce at the first couple of miles.
Impossible. The computer is programmed to achieve the optimal air/fuel ratio and timing curve for emissions as well as performance. The increased flow is "read" by the mass air and/or O2 sensors and fed to the computer which adjusts the fuel mixture richer to compensate. If it didn't, you would soon burn pistons and valves and that does not ever happen. The increased fuel being burned results in increased performance. Why you think performance was better at first than now is simple, you got used to it and it is no longer a novelty; it feels normal to you.
If you really think about, Don't u think if there was other ways of getting better gas mileage or better performce the GM engineers would have down it. That is just my 2 cents...........
No, I don't think they would. They are in the business of selling vehicles. To do so, one must move units. In order to move units, one must be priced competitely. If you make all these type of upgrades OEM, your vehicle is too expensive and less apealing to mass sales. Ferrari and Lamborgini would be exceptions. They have all the goodies but you pay out the ass to have them. And how many of them do you see driving in town? You see way more averge Joes driving average vehicles.

XTRM22
08-02-2002, 08:33 PM
Man I'm surprised that all that didn't do anything for that Burb, cause that's about the list I did on my 94 GMC extended cab 4x4, except I went Gibson Exhaust (is there any other) and Stillen air intake. That truck was born again. It's a 5.7 so torque never came up to where I wanted but it was a runnin M%#*&KER. I did sell it and buy an F350 V-10, Gm's better idea independant front suspention was never up to the tasks I put it through. Drove like a big fast car, but wouldn't stay aligned or togather(to many weak links).
Chuck

B-rad502
08-03-2002, 12:36 PM
Chuckster, what's happening?? :D

Craig
08-05-2002, 06:11 AM
Brad, first don't start messin' with Angie's truck, she just got it :D , Two, don't listen to anything Chucks says, for the the love of Pete, he's from Tucson wink
Craig
[ August 05, 2002, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: Craig ]

XTRM22
08-05-2002, 12:20 PM
Craig:
Brad, first don't start messin' with Angie's truck, she just got it :D , Two, don't listen to anything Chucks says, for the the love of Pete, he's from Tucson wink
CraigI don't know what being from Tucson has to do with anything Craig it seems to me that several of you take advise and pay big dollars to another Tucson resident!!! (and no, for the record I certainly do not put myself in Larry's class of performance knowledge) 2ndly WHere would anyone get the idea that Brad would listen to me, sheesh I thought that was all behind us wink
LOL
Chuck

Craig
08-05-2002, 02:41 PM
Craig[/qb][/QUOTE]I don't know what being from Tucson has to do with anything Craig it seems to me that several of you take advise and pay big dollars to another Tucson resident!!! (and no, for the record I certainly do not put myself in Larry's class of performance knowledge) 2ndly WHere would anyone get the idea that Brad would listen to me, sheesh I thought that was all behind us wink
LOL
Chuck[/QB][/QUOTE]
Come on Chuck, Tucson? It's like Darwins Waiting Room :D OK so you got me on the engine shop though!!! When ya' coming back to the lake?

XTRM22
08-06-2002, 06:10 AM
I think you are confusing Tucson with another community slightly farther north (if you know what I mean). Heck we have not one but 2 Hooters, and our very own drag strip, and a mall yeah we even have a mall (I know we do other wise where would my wife go shopping). I conclusion Tucso is a fine community and I'm a loud mouth Red Neck that no one of sound mind would listen to unless they worked for me! :D
Chuck

B-rad502
08-06-2002, 10:33 AM
That reminds me Chuck, I need to meet up with you soon to figure out what my next move in my life should be!! :) :)
Her Tahoe is kick-ass, and I actually enjoy driving it more than the truck. I never thought that would happen. We're also looking at a 4" lift and 33's in the future! Mama's rig rocks!!
Btw, Chuck, a friend of Ange's just got a 2000 Ford exactly like yours. Same color and engine. It has a 4.5" lift and 35" BFG's on it, it looks AWESOME!! We'll take a picture for ya' so you can see what your Ford would look like lifted :)

Craig
08-06-2002, 03:06 PM
Brad, make sure Aimee's pic is in it too :D You two nuthugs need to stop talking about trucks so much, and get back to boats. So what say Brad, Aug 31 for a get toether on the lake?
Craig

B-rad502
08-06-2002, 03:07 PM
We're all over that idea!! We'll be in touch. :)

core attitude
08-06-2002, 09:27 PM
kcm21,
My truck was used as a manufacturers showcase vehicle in 2001. I let Powerdyne use my truck for prototyping the 5.3 set up in late 2000. I can't give you any figure as for retail price for that reason and they also handled the install as part of the deal. I know that they are asking @ $3300.00 on their site. http://www.powerdyne.com/
I would hate to give you a bad lead as far as installation but I would feel fairly safe with calling the manufacturer and asking for a recommendation.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help on this one,
Pete

kcm21
08-17-2002, 01:32 PM
THANKS CORE,
AT LEAST NOW I KNOW WHERE TO START. I WAS PRETTY CLUELESS BEFORE.