PDA

View Full Version : BoatCop: Consealed Carry in Arizona????

Trailer Park Casanova
06-16-2003, 06:36 PM
I think I spelled it right.
Anyway, the familiar story around the Emerald campground club is thats it's OK to carry a pistol in a fanny or backpack in Arizona, and in that case, it's not considered a consealed weapon.
I long ago quit toteing a gun because I was afraid I might use it. A HeyDude once tried to take our daughters top off at the Sandbar and had I been armed,, I'd a sprayed mad clips at the "dude".
This clubhouse story keeps circulating among campers plus that several bars along the river had (Sports Valley for one) small signs at the entrance asking customers to check firearms with the manager. That story too is told in the same breath as the consealed carry story.

Mandelon
06-16-2003, 06:39 PM
I remember going to a bar and grill in Pasadena as a kid. The cashier wore an old style sixgun on his hip. This was in the 70's. I always wondered about that. It sure was not concealed!!

hd&boatrider
06-16-2003, 07:56 PM
You can not carry a concealed handgun without a permit. Simple as that.

Forkin' Crazy
06-16-2003, 08:03 PM
Trailer Park Casanova:
I long ago quit toteing a gun because I was afraid I might use it. A HeyDude once tried to take our daughters top off at the Sandbar and had I been armed,, I'd a sprayed mad clips at the "dude". That would be a good reason for you not to carry or own a a firearm.....PERIOD burningm

spectratoad
06-16-2003, 08:07 PM
There is a book out, I think I saw it in Camping World catalog, that has all the weapons laws for every state in it.

Boatcop
06-16-2003, 08:25 PM
Open carry is allowed in Arizona, except in certain private businesses and public places. Look Here (http://www.dps.state.az.us/ccw/3102.htm) The weapon or holster must be in plain view on your person.
Concealed carry requires a CCW permit from Arizona or one of the "Reciprocal Agreement" States, which at present are: Alaska, Arkansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Utah, & Texas.
In a backpack or fannypack is considered concealed if you are wearing them. If they are in your vehicle, it's considered "luggage", and a weapon contained inside is considered "not" concealed.
There was a case in Maricopa County where a citizen was charged with carrying a concealed weapon that was in a custom fanny pack, that was specially designed to hold a weapon. The owner argued that it met the conditions of open carry, since the fanny pack itself WAS the holster, and it was visible in compliance with the law.
The court (and appeals court) decided that it DID NOT comply with the law, since the fanny pack was not readily recognized as a holster.

jus a baker
06-16-2003, 08:38 PM
so just get your permit... i wish every state honored carry permits from other states (like AZ and UT) it sucks going to states that don't.... damm it just another one of my issues.

mtndewdrops
06-16-2003, 08:39 PM
Hey, I haven't heard that story. Hmmm...I guess I need to get out more. :)
Just Remember that Guns and alcohol don't mix. If you feel like you need to carry a gun then be responsible and stay sober. Just my .02.

KrazyKa
06-16-2003, 09:24 PM
BoatCop - for the most part I just lurk in this forum, but am always impressed with your very thorough and knowledgable answers...thank you. The recent discussion concerning water way jurisdiction among different agencies has me wondering about this particular issue. If I have a UT/AZ CCW, but am detained by a CA agency after launching from an AZ Marina - can I be arrested for concealed carry? Strictly based on your previous answers regarding driving age/DUI limits I would have to conclude yes. I'm very interested in hearing your take on it. Thanks!