PDA

View Full Version : Do all Hot Boat Manufacturers' Web sites suck?

MagicMtnDan
07-16-2003, 07:30 AM
Is it me or do most hot boat manufacturers' Web sites suck?
I've been to lots of them and too many are virtually unusable. I know these are typically smaller companies that are focused on building and selling boats but they're selling big-buck products and they should have quality Web sites to reflect their products and operation.
Why does it seem like it's so hard for them to have a clean, organized Web site that offers easy navigation (links) to their products (each boat model), pictures of their products, about their company, contact information, and their store (if they have one)?
Most importantly, why don't these companies keep their Web sites CURRENT? I've visited sites that don't even show their latest models! And one of the sites is good looking but it's all flash and trying to deal with the "movies" on the Web site is painful - I had to give up.
There are a few sites that are good but none that I've seen that I would compliment. The ones that look good typically don't offer enough info or pictures.
This isn't rocket science. I think they're missing the boat (sorry 'bout that) by not having simple, clean, detailed Web sites that folks can surf around in and learn all about their boats and what makes them better than the rest of their competitors.

bear down
07-16-2003, 07:48 AM
MagicMtnDan:
Is it me or do most hot boat manufacturers' Web sites suck?
I've been to lots of them and too many are virtually unusable. I know these are typically smaller companies that are focused on building and selling boats but they're selling big-buck products and they should have quality Web sites to reflect their products and operation.
Why does it seem like it's so hard for them to have a clean, organized Web site that offers easy navigation (links) to their products (each boat model), pictures of their products, about their company, contact information, and their store (if they have one)?
Most importantly, why don't these companies keep their Web sites CURRENT? I've visited sites that don't even show their latest models! And one of the sites is good looking but it's all flash and trying to deal with the "movies" on the Web site is painful - I had to give up.
There are a few sites that are good but none that I've seen that I would compliment. The ones that look good typically don't offer enough info or pictures.
This isn't rocket science. I think they're missing the boat (sorry 'bout that) by not having simple, clean, detailed Web sites that folks can surf around in and learn all about their boats and what makes them better than the rest of their competitors. I agree with you.. it's frustrating to click on a link and either it's unavailable or it's running terriably. Some sites are working with certain portions of the site being accessible.

SCUBA STEVE
07-16-2003, 07:57 AM
I think they dont keep them up to date so you can go to the store and see the products live, with a sales man to pressure you into buying!! :)

al cole'holic
07-16-2003, 07:58 AM
:D

BUSTI
07-16-2003, 11:46 AM
I love the boats I have owned over the years and as a rule I have enjoyed the relationship with the boat builders I have purchased from, including Howard Brown, Jack Davidson, Roger Weiman, George and Ernie Litchfield, and Bob Leach. That being said thank God they all knew alot about building boats!!! Because their combined business skills were very unimpressive. Their lack of business sophistication was scary. All delivered great products and as I said their knowledge of boat building was all craftman like in their execution. But none of them were on the fast track to challenge the CEO at Mercury Marine!
Just read the boards and what I'm saying is so evident about the lack of business savy with so many companies in the boat business. Not to say they aren't great people but usually their companies business dynamics reflect the owners personal business education and sophistication! Just my two cents :rolleyes:

riverracerx
07-16-2003, 11:50 AM
Most of them are busy making boats and don't care about much else. I knew a guy who helped a boat company do a site :D but they never gave him any photography to put up or any information. Then they tried to fix some things and basically broke it. It still needs alot of work, but I doubt much will happen to it??

Kilrtoy
07-16-2003, 12:02 PM
YES they suck, and since most of them are in the 909(arm pit of the universe), it is not easy to get to them. They all ned to come up to date and solve their problem. It would really boost their business. You gotta spend to earn.....
[ July 16, 2003, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Kilrtoy ]

Jungle Boy
07-16-2003, 12:16 PM
riverracerx:
Most of them are busy making boats and don't care about much else. I knew a guy who helped a boat company do a site :D but they never gave him any photography to put up or any information. Then they tried to fix some things and basically broke it. It still needs alot of work, but I doubt much will happen to it?? I agree with this. The guys that own Eagle didn't even think about a site until a couple of their employees that are computer guys put something together. Most owners are wrapped up in building their boats, not computer stuff. They are starting to figure out that it is a very valuable tool. It open up the whole world to their products.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-16-2003, 12:16 PM
Personally I've been impressed with Eliminator (http://www.eliminatorboat.com) Essex (http://www.essexboats.com) and Hallett (http://www.hallettboats.com)
[ July 16, 2003, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Havasu_Dreamin ]

Phat_Kat
07-16-2003, 12:22 PM
RiverDave:
I thought Ultra's website kicked ass to be honest..
Lots of pictures/specs/videos etc..
RD I'll second that but there are a few script errors on the site that need to be fixed
EX: when you click "more pictures" for the 19 shadow you get one of the 21's
[ July 16, 2003, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Phat_Kat ]

HAULNZ
07-16-2003, 12:27 PM
My favorite boat site is www.cigaretteracing.com. (http://www.cigaretteracing.com.) I guess a girl can dream can't she :D The videos are awesome.

Ultracop
07-16-2003, 12:29 PM
I agree......being an Ultra owner.....I really enjoy Ultra's site. Up to date and cool music.

Hermosa
07-16-2003, 12:31 PM
Yes, I think the key is to jam as many photos on the site as possible. The boat magazine adds are terrible also, there are lots to improve in this area. When I look at an add, don't bore me with a lot of stupid catch phrases, just give me some good photos. If I like what I see, I'll research it further and get the facts then. That's jsut me. Kachina has a good web site, lots of detailed photos, it really shows what you want to see, nothing more. My 2 cents.

mbrown2
07-16-2003, 12:34 PM
I like Ultra's, and Essex's...one thing I like about Essex's is the Gallery section.

HavasuDreamin'
07-16-2003, 12:34 PM
www.cougarboats.com (http://www.cougarboats.com) isn't bad either.

roln 20s
07-16-2003, 12:35 PM
My website thoughts:
Great:
-Ultra (best design and originality)
-Essex (love their pics with the customers of deliv day)
-Magic (most user friendly out there-love their inventory section)
-Lavey (just wish they had a gallery with more customer boats, lets face, they make some of the most eye candy boats out there)
-Malibu (I know its a custom ski boat- but this site is bad ass)
Alright:
-Eliminator (those boats on their main pages are 90's models- not 03's)
-Hallett (its updated with pics and info..except the 540- like the pricing too)
-Force (some more pics would make it great)
-Advantage (its alright plus has an inventory section)
Need work:
-Howard (way outdated- the 25 bullet pics don't even have a completed one)
-DCB (could use a couple more pics, plus the "top secret" has been out of the bag for 3 years
Note: I can't even view the Bayliner site from work cause its 100% flash- even they care about making a quality, up to date site.
Does Schiada have a site?
Other great site that I frequently visit-
RiverRacerX...great work
Roln 20s

NastyOne
07-16-2003, 12:50 PM
MMD, I totaly agree with you. It seems like this is becoming a big topic around here and any business man (boats or other) would see the demand from the public and steer their business in that direction. A bitchen web site doesnt seem like a hard thing to produce. Let alone pics for it. I mean, they build the boats..... how hard is it to take a pic. :confused:
Just my 2 cents

Boozer
07-16-2003, 01:10 PM
Ultras website is nice but it's to much. I think Kachinas website sucks personally.
Apparently most people like flashy slow loading websites. I like quick loading non flash stuff. And if it is flash I like it be simple.
I hate to say this but in my opinion the most user friendly quick loading, and easiest accessible boat website that I have seen has got to be Bayliner.
Bayliner has an in depth description of every boat they manufacture. Specs, what's new for the year. Pretty much everything you want to know and then some. They also have a pricing list of what MSRP is and what the basic optional upgrades will run you.
I think the price thing is a big plus. I know that some people might say "If it's the boat you want then price really shouldn't be important." Well I can tell you that from the perspective of most people rich or poor price is a concern and people want to know. When you're talking custom boat its hard to give a price because every boat is different but you can still give a baseline like for example This 21' Boat X includes a standard 350 Magnum with 4 color gel coat and such and such option for X amount. Most popular upgrades are and cost X amount.
As far as going to the showroom and seeing what's available goes that is fine and dandy if you live in LHC or the 909. I live in Denver and would want to have my boat choice down to 1 or 2 manufacturers before going to the dealer. Based on website info and testimonials from other customers I have pretty much made my decision on the boat I'll be purchasing.

Kilrtoy
07-16-2003, 01:24 PM
Bayliner has an in depth description of every boat they manufacture. Specs, what's new for the year. Pretty much everything you want to know and then some. They also have a pricing list of what MSRP is and what the basic optional upgrades will run you.
That is why they sell so many boats, after my buddy bought his boat and found out he could have had a custom for cheaper, he was pissed. But that is what the web does for you. These boat MFG, need to wake up and do it. But then again its their monetary, loss not mine...
[ July 16, 2003, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Kilrtoy ]

Boozer
07-16-2003, 01:28 PM
Kilrtoy:
That is why they sell so many boats, after my buddy bought his boat and found out he could have had a custom for cheaper, he was pissed. But that is what the web does for you. These boat MFG, need to wake up and do it. But then again its their monetary, loss not mine... The Bayliner website is the biggest reason I bought my Bayliner, well.. that and the fact that the dealer sold it to me for 5,000 below MSRP. Sadly, even after just this one season I have owned it I doubt I'll be able to sell it for what I owe on it. O well..

mbrown2
07-16-2003, 01:57 PM
Another pretty good site is www.correctcraft.com (http://www.correctcraft.com) (ie: Ski Nautique)....I remember they use to allow to experiment with colors and build one of your own with options, etc..pretty cool

TPI
07-16-2003, 03:39 PM
This is a topic that I have to stir up a bit: In my experience, I have never seen a web site make or break a sale of a boat. The guy that goes online surfing is either "browsing" for cool stuff to look at(most of us!), or he has already made up his mind about a boat and he's "browsing for cool stuff to look at". Also, someone stated something along the lines of: The good boat manufacturers generally have an older guy running the place, and they are not real keen on new technology, and they have sold a ton of boats without it, so why bother. TOTALLY TRUE! I personally like cool web sites, and I wish there were more of them out there, but the guy that "steps up" for a $75K +++ "Hot Boat" better have done his homework in person. In the mean time the "browsers" will have to suffer with the crappy sites. :D :D :D

MagicMtnDan
07-16-2003, 05:26 PM
riverracerx:
Most of them are busy making boats and don't care about much else. I knew a guy who helped a boat company do a site :D but they never gave him any photography to put up or any information. Then they tried to fix some things and basically broke it. It still needs alot of work, but I doubt much will happen to it?? RRX, YOUR site is 1000% better looking than most every boat maker's site. You should talk to those guys and get them to throw you some coin to do their sites right!

BUSTI
07-17-2003, 09:15 AM
GT's post makes my point! That attitude is ignorant of how much information can be provided to new customers not in your area that are "doing their home work" on the net before they travel to next boat show or the next state to purchase a boat. I would bet that those CA custom boat builders with the best sites also sell the most boats. just a hunch. It's a new century boating industry get with it and step forward. Who do you think sells more boats each year? Chaparal or Genisis? Monterey or Hallet? Bayliner or Eliminator? Fountain or Ultra? Five of my employees, that I introduced to the river and boating, all purchased boats in the last two years from the above mentioned companies at the local boat shows after shopping specs and printing up brochures and recieving on line qoutes from websites.

MagicMtnDan
07-17-2003, 10:02 AM
BUSTI:
GT's post makes my point! That attitude is ignorant of how much information can be provided to new customers not in your area that are "doing their home work" on the net before they travel to next boat show or the next state to purchase a boat. I would bet that those CA custom boat builders with the best sites also sell the most boats. just a hunch. It's a new century boating industry get with it and step forward. Who do you think sells more boats each year? Chaparal or Genisis? Monterey or Hallet? Bayliner or Eliminator? Fountain or Ultra? Five of my employees, that I introduced to the river and boating, all purchased boats in the last two years from the above mentioned companies at the local boat shows after shopping specs and printing up brochures and recieving on line qoutes from websites. You're right Busti.
The Internet has changed our world in a lot of ways. I'll bet that many people who actually go visit a boat maker and talk seriously about buying have already gone through a decision-making process based on Web research, boat shows and talking to friends about their boats.
In my opinion, manufacturers/sellers of all kinds of products are getting fewer chances to do any selling because people are making decisions on their own, earlier in the buying process. That's why good Web sites are so very important. One other point, just like a booth at a trade show, a great Web site can make a small company look as good (and as big) as a large, industry-leading company. How a company presents itself and its products is very important.
[ July 17, 2003, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: MagicMtnDan ]

riverracerx
07-17-2003, 10:20 AM
MMDan and Roln, thanks for the kind words. I do website freelance for a few people. Depends on my schedule. And yes....I did NORDIC POWERBOATS (http://www.nordicpowerboats.com) site. The problem is it need alot more content. It has a great start, but I could never get any good info or photography out of them??? I have more pictures of Nordics than they do I think.
And the RiverRacerX site...it is just there for everyone to enjoy. I like playing around and trying to come up with stuff to throw up there. Glad you guys like it!
[ July 17, 2003, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: riverracerx ]

rvrkaosI
07-17-2003, 11:02 AM
Cheetah's website is to the point, and shows up some nice pics'. Research of today is done on the internet, and I firmly believe first impression last impression!

Madskillz
07-17-2003, 11:03 AM
It's not about having a flashy website that sells boats I agree but if you want to be the big dog on the block you better look the part.
If there are two boat manufacturers that both make very comperable boats and both have simular pricing I am going for the one who's brand is best represented. Whether it's advertisements, websites, logos. Visually appealing and strong brand recognition always come into play.
Peraonally if your site sucks but you supposedly have an excellent product why not capitalize on being the top manufacturer and looking the part.
I've seen a few manufacturers spend the money on good advertising and marketing and that's probably why they make more boats. Some guys only want to make a few a year so they may not care as much.
To me though image goes a long way in your overall brand.
Oh and a site with Flash is perfectly fine if you know how to build it right. I see some HTML sites that load longer then some Flash because you have guys who don't code proficiently.
If you couldn't tell I am in marketing and advertising LoL
I also freelance :D

roln 20s
07-17-2003, 11:37 AM
Who do you think sells more boats each year? Chaparal or Genisis? Monterey or Hallet? Bayliner or Eliminator? Fountain or Ultra? I think it may be a toss up between Bayliner and Eliminator--they both sure do crank out boats like a car factory :D
RiverRacerX-
The boat of the month is definately worthy of the award. I was never a fan of deckboats until I saw that in Havasu. Now I seem to see it everytime I am there. Its bad ass, and the trailer it sits on is bad ass also, with the back extension kinda around the drive. Looks good.
You got any July 4th pics or regatta pics to add?
Great job and keep it up. I think the Nordic site will be awesome once you get all the pics and info up on it.
Roln 20s