PDA

View Full Version : Why does merc have there oil filters upside down?

bigq
04-02-2003, 04:53 PM
Wouldn't it drain the oil out everytime it sat or do they have a baffle? If it does drain out wouldn't it make the engine run dry for a second while the filter fills and how the hell do you change them without getting oil everywhere, put a hole in the top to drain it all out?

lovemyultra
04-02-2003, 05:09 PM
I got hoses and used the stock brackets and made a sweet looking remote set up mounted on the back of the seat been working good for three seasons GOOD LUCK

Rexone
04-02-2003, 05:11 PM
The majority of oil filters used upside down (not all filters) have anti-drainback valves in them which is suppose to prevent what you are describing from occuring. Personally I don't like filters upside down nor trust them and would probably change it if it were mine. Upside down makes it a pain to change oil cleanly too.
Here's some billet remotes (http://www.rexmar.com/page276.html) that we do not recommend you mount upside down :D
[ April 02, 2003, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

TrojanDan
04-02-2003, 05:54 PM
bigq:
put a hole in the top to drain it all out? The Mercruiser dude at the boat show said to puncture the top of the filter to get the last bit of oil out when changing.

NashvilleBound
04-02-2003, 06:30 PM
This is my biggest fricken pet peave with Merc Racing. The guy who designed this should be fired....at once! I popped a hole in it and even let it drain overnight. All I got was the last few tablespoons of used oil right down the side of my motor and onto the carpet. What a load of crap. I bought Billet Marines new oil filter with a replaceable oil filter cartridge. Worth every penny.
http:www.billetmarine.com

bigq
04-02-2003, 06:40 PM
I've seen many relocation devices, but I didn't know if Merc had a reason for it because I can't see one, except to make a big mess. :)

Infomaniac
04-02-2003, 08:04 PM
That engineer is still laughing about that design.
Poke a hole is the deal and it will drain in the normal direction of flow.
Some may think the anti drain back valve will prevent it from draining. It will prevent it from flowing back to the pump but will drain in the normal direction.
[ April 02, 2003, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

HOSS
04-02-2003, 08:06 PM
Last generation RX-7`s were like that. We would pop a hole and wait about a minute. Not everybit comes out but its better than being full.

superdave013
04-02-2003, 08:25 PM
If you think Merc is bad. What about Bob Teague's set up? He mounts then sideways on the back of the friggen head. Now way to remove that sucka with out making a mess. And it has to drain at least half of the filter out even with one of those anti whatever filters. Plus on an I/O set up it's stuck way back by the transom. If your gonna do a remote filter at least make it easy to get at and service.

Trash
04-02-2003, 10:17 PM
I'm not sure it matters whether they are right side up or up side down when it comes to making a mess. My 1995 Merc has the filter installed the "correct" way (right side up) and as soon as I begin to unthread it the oil flows out and down the sides. It still makes a mess. Plus I've got a filter full of oil I'm trying to deftly balance and keep from spilling all over the place. I will probably punch a hole in the bottom from now on.

Rexone
04-02-2003, 10:25 PM
Trash:
I'm not sure it matters whether they are right side up or up side down when it comes to making a mess. My 1995 Merc has the filter installed the "correct" way (right side up) and as soon as I begin to unthread it the oil flows out and down the sides. It still makes a mess. Plus I've got a filter full of oil I'm trying to deftly balance and keep from spilling all over the place. I will probably punch a hole in the bottom from now on. Try using a gallon size plastic bag around the whole filter housing, unscrew the filter and let it drop in the bag, just keep the bag there until the oil stops coming out. I've used that method in the past a few times. :)

ROZ
04-02-2003, 10:42 PM
You mean you aren't suppose to flip the boat when taking they filter off?

Beautiful Noise
04-02-2003, 10:51 PM
ROZ:
You mean you aren't suppose to flip the boat when taking they filter off? Roz in your case keep doing what you been doing it's working for you :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Steve

HavasuDreamin'
04-03-2003, 05:37 AM
You know, I don't seem to have these headaches with my Merc. O/B. :p wink :D