PDA

View Full Version : The end of London Bridge?

HighRoller
02-28-2003, 01:01 AM
I heard on the local radio station today that the English village under the London Bridge is for sale.Okay,so that wasn't so bad until I heard that several letters of intent were fielded from"developers"to buy the property.I'm very concerned about what might happen to the village in the hands of a developer from who-knows-where. I have always loved London Bridge and am afraid it might be turned into a modern strip mall by people who have no appreciation of the history of this beautiful landmark.Could this be the end of Havasu's heritage as we know it?Many of you never got to experience Havasu in the pre MTV days when it was a largely unknown but much appreciated vacation spot for dedicated boaters like my family.Havasu has changed but one of the things that has always drawn me there was London Bridge and the English Village underneath.If they revamp the village could a redesign of the bridge be far behind???I just wanted to inform all of you what is going on.

BIGAMIST
02-28-2003, 03:00 AM
Bunk Deal :( frown

JetBoatRich
02-28-2003, 04:08 AM
Sounds like some one may have ideas and you may be right.

Jordy
02-28-2003, 09:58 AM
There's a village under it? I always just drove across it to get to Beachcomber and Site 6... guess my tourist instinct subsides when I have a boat in the rearview mirror of my truck.
That is sad to hear though. Havasu need's more condos, uh huh. :D

Metal_King
02-28-2003, 10:08 AM
Yeah, this does not sound good. My father bought land in Havasu in '86 and put his home up on '91.
But, the traffic and the MTV crowd has become so populated, a dedicated skier like myself just does not go to Havasu anymore. I have found the area north of Cottonwood Cove on Mohave or some prime spots on Mead to accompany my needs.
Sure, if I want T&A, the Havasu it is.

Metal_King
02-28-2003, 10:08 AM
Yeah, this does not sound good. My father bought land in Havasu in '86 and put his home up on '91.
But, the traffic and the MTV crowd has become so populated, a dedicated skier like myself just does not go to Havasu anymore. I have found the area north of Cottonwood Cove on Mohave or some prime spots on Mead to accompany my needs.
Sure, if I want T&A, then Havasu it is.
[ February 28, 2003, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: Metal_King ]

1stepcloser
02-28-2003, 10:17 AM
That blows.
I am a pre-MTV era havasu regular as well, and even now, my daughter and I still cruise up to the bridge, hang out in the channel, and always take a walk through the village, (she loves to window shop) and grab an ice cream. Used to get a sandwich at the ***boat Deli, was sad to see it gone last year. Now we gotta hike to In-n-Out :D
I was also a bit saddened by the new development of condos put up on the local side...progress... :(
Well, I would think that whoever buys the property would be under major influence of Lake Havasu city planners and the like.
It's not very likely that the city would grant any type of permits to remove, or even re-design the village as it has been and continues to be a major draw to the area. :cool:

mbrown2
02-28-2003, 10:48 AM
1stepcloser:
That blows.
I am a pre-MTV era havasu regular as well, and even now, my daughter and I still cruise up to the bridge, hang out in the channel, and always take a walk through the village, (she loves to window shop) and grab an ice cream. Used to get a sandwich at the ***boat Deli, was sad to see it gone last year. Now we gotta hike to In-n-Out :D
I was also a bit saddened by the new development of condos put up on the local side...progress... :(
Well, I would think that whoever buys the property would be under major influence of Lake Havasu city planners and the like.
It's not very likely that the city would grant any type of permits to remove, or even re-design the village as it has been and continues to be a major draw to the area. :cool: I would agree, I am thinking they would have too keep the same look and feel if they do any additions or modifications...

Havasu_Dreamin
02-28-2003, 11:25 AM
The city is considering buying the village. There are still some nice spots at Havasu that you can get away from all the crowds.

Her454
02-28-2003, 04:39 PM
I can remember going to the Bridge while the village was still "under construction" way back in the day as a kid...then when I lived there in the 90's I still loved the originality of the village and I hope they keep it......
BTW, anyone remember the drunk guy going OFF the bridge in his vehicle at night and landing in the channel, headlights still on??? That was incredible..I'll try and dig up the old pics and the story...

Boatcop
02-28-2003, 05:12 PM
BTW, anyone remember the drunk guy going OFF the bridge in his vehicle at night and landing in the channel, headlights still on??? I won't say the guy's name. But he's a prominent businessman in Havasu. They had to hire a stone carver from England to come over and chisel the new supports for the hand rails out of stored left-over stone from the original bridge.
Don't look for the Village to be over-run by condos. The City has zoning protection in place for that. The city also bought London Bridge Beach (South of the bridge on the channel) from the State, to protect it from development. They were afraid the State would sell or trade it to a developer.

TRG
02-28-2003, 06:06 PM
"BULLSHIT"....I remember when it was pontoons fishin' boats and "HOTRODS"!!
25FT.boats were unheard of!!
"BOATIN' AINT BOATIN' ANYMORE!
(just ventin' off.) burningm

Her454
02-28-2003, 07:09 PM
Boatcop:
The city also bought London Bridge Beach (South of the bridge on the channel) from the State BoatCop, If I remember correctly isn't that what was referred to as "Body Beach"? Seems like thats what it was called when I lived not too far from there off Paso Drive?

Boatcop
02-28-2003, 08:02 PM
Body Beach is a little further south, between Rotary Beach and Contact Point.
A developer has his eyes on Body Beach (if he hasn't actually got it already) for a Marina and convention center complex.