PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell Drained

novaguy
10-17-2003, 11:05 PM
This is a sad and scary picture of Lake Powell. Above pic was taken in March of 2002 and the bottom pic in March of 2003.
http://ali.opi.arizona.edu/silk/request/Upstream_to_95Bridge.jpg http://ali.opi.arizona.edu/silk/request/Upstream_to_95Bridge.jpg

burtandnancy
10-17-2003, 11:44 PM
novaguy, almost looks like the Sierra Club won. They've wanted to drain Powell for years. I'm going up to Mead on Monday to pull my boat out while I still can. They are moving the marina's out another 40 feet this week. I'm moving over to Las Vegas Bay Marina as soon as the new covered slips are completed, but maybe by next spring there won't be any launching...

Mandelon
10-18-2003, 04:38 AM
Our newspaper had an article on the decreasing snowpack. It is only a short time historically, but the past few decades are getting drier and drier. Shorter wet seasons, less snow, less runoff, less water.
Enjoy your lawn while you can. :( We may be getting desalinated water in the future and it will probably be too expensive to run down the driveway.....
Man--praying for some big snowy winters---delon

HOSS
10-18-2003, 04:40 AM
That looks like a ditch. How in the hell can you run your boat in that?
Glad you West Coast boys buy them expensive rigs. When ya`ll run outa water I`ll be able to buy one used at a fraction of the cost.

fat rat
10-18-2003, 05:10 AM
I'm glad I had a chance to see it by boat and not a 4X4......the views were awsome.

Havasu Hangin'
10-18-2003, 05:37 AM
I caught this video (http://www.elltel.net/aware/temp/pwlsml.wmv) on another site.

PowellScooter
10-18-2003, 06:04 AM
Slow down boys the pics shown are from the uppermost areas of the lake, Hite bridge is whats shown. Yeah the lake is 85 ft low or so but the bulk of boating and recreation happens at the southern end of the lake which still has plenty of water in it. History has shown drought is a cyclical occurance, it will refill in time. Let me be the first to tell ya SIERRA CLUB HAS NOT DRAINED ANYTHING except perhaps some tree huggers wallets. Powell-my boats still in the water here-Scooter

1stepcloser
10-18-2003, 06:07 AM
Thats a very good video. I havent been to powell since 93. The white line then was about 18" (inches) above the waterline.
Unbeleivable. frown

HCS
10-18-2003, 06:14 AM
So when is the best time to go to Lake Powell?

PowellScooter
10-18-2003, 06:24 AM
July-August are the best weather, however a little crowded at times.

Jungle Boy
10-18-2003, 06:28 AM
Looks like it's time to buy some aluminum jetboats boys, and go boating. Looks like a ton of water in there.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/259race_10_1_-med.jpg
But seriously, we could all use a good hard dump of snow this winter.

JetBoatRich
10-18-2003, 07:29 AM
We need a big winter on the west coast either way
devil devil

Dr. Eagle
10-18-2003, 07:32 AM
Yes it is sad, I understand it will take at least 5 years of "normal" precip to refill the reservoir system.
That really sucks for all of you So Cal, Southern Nev, and Ariz folks. Here in Beautiful Northern California, for once our lakes filled and the year was great.
Below is a picture of a very small piece of Folsom Lake (launch ramp is 2 miles from my driveway) which was completely full this year...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1152folsom.gif
Folsom's downside is it can get pretty busy. It has the highest number of visitors each year of any State Park Unit. But it is not small, at 11,500 Acres. It is located just about 30 Miles east of downtown Sacramento.
[ October 18, 2003, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Eagle ]

JetBoatRich
10-18-2003, 07:38 AM
NORMAL, that would be nice :D been a few years since we had back-to-back years of normal.

Terrible Buddhist
10-18-2003, 07:47 AM
you can blame that shit on California, whole ****ing ocean waiting for desalinization plants and they have to use lake powell frown

CA Stu
10-18-2003, 08:29 AM
Terrible Buddhist:
you can blame that shit on California, whole ****ing ocean waiting for desalinization plants and they have to use lake powell :( There it is, proof that beans make you stupid (and unable to play baseball). :D
CA Stu

HCS
10-18-2003, 08:50 AM
Dr. Eagle:
Yes it is sad, I understand it will take at least 5 years of "normal" precip to refill the reservoir system.
That really sucks for all of you So Cal, Southern Nev, and Ariz folks. Here in Beautiful Northern California, for once our lakes filled and the year was great.
Below is a picture of a very small piece of Folsom Lake (launch ramp is 2 miles from my driveway) which was completely full this year...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1152folsom.gif
Folsom's downside is it can get pretty busy. It has the highest number of visitors each year of any State Park Unit. But it is not small, at 11,500 Acres. It is located just about 30 Miles east of downtown Sacramento. Yes..... it is nice we got alot of water this year for once.
All the reservoirs were full up here.
Made for some excellent boating.

burtandnancy
10-18-2003, 09:20 AM
FYI, the all time low for Lake Mead was the winter of 66/67 and it was about 20' lower than it is now. According to those who know, we're going to tie or exceed that record next spring. Looking at the historical charts, we're in a long cycle of drought. The lake actually overflowed the spill gates in '83, that was a sight to see...

novaguy
10-18-2003, 09:31 AM
That's very good to hear that the baoting is still good at Powell. I've been there 15 years ago and I just remember how beautiful it was. Lets hope for some snow up there and everywhere this winter. BTW, how the heck did the double pictures happen? I've seen double posts, but not double pics....I did not request double prints..lol

Dr. Eagle
10-18-2003, 09:35 AM
Terrible Buddhist:
you can blame that shit on California, whole ****ing ocean waiting for desalinization plants and they have to use lake powell :( While California has taken more than it's share for the past few years, a hell of a lot is used in the entire course downstream by Nevada, Arizona and a not insignificant amount goes to Mexico. Desalinization plants ?????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Dr. Eagle
10-18-2003, 09:39 AM
burtandnancy:
FYI, the all time low for Lake Mead was the winter of 66/67 and it was about 20' lower than it is now. According to those who know, we're going to tie or exceed that record next spring. Looking at the historical charts, we're in a long cycle of drought. The lake actually overflowed the spill gates in '83, that was a sight to see... Also remember it was either the late 70s or early 80s (80s I think) that the spillways were used for the first time EVER at Lake Mead. The lake filled many feet over the normal level, and even when the lake was full you could still see the high water marked by the line of white minerals on the lake shore and canyon walls.
Precipitation is cyclic by nature, just a matter of time before the lake refills.

Dr. Eagle
10-18-2003, 09:41 AM
CA Stu:
Terrible Buddhist:
you can blame that shit on California, whole ****ing ocean waiting for desalinization plants and they have to use lake powell :( There it is, proof that beans make you stupid (and unable to play baseball). :D
CA Stu And unable to say PARK...

HammerDown
10-18-2003, 10:36 AM
Jungle Boy
But seriously, we could all use a good hard dump of snow this winter. [/QB](WE)...what do ya have a mouse in your pocket!
After the last few Winters I had..."F" that white stuff! yuk

Dr. Eagle
10-18-2003, 10:52 AM
HammerDown:
Jungle Boy
But seriously, we could all use a good hard dump of snow this winter. (WE)...what do ya have a mouse in your pocket!
After the last few Winters I had..."F" that white stuff! yuk [/QB]Yep you did have a tough winter last year. I should know, after all I watch American Chopper.
Weather here today...about 87 degrees, gonna have to get out the sweats... cry cry cry :D :D :D :D
[ October 18, 2003, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Eagle ]

Keith E. Sayre
10-18-2003, 11:02 AM
For those of you worried about the lake, I remember 1983 and what happened and I suppose it
will happen again. I was going to college in Provo Utah and they had the worst drought going
that they'd ever had and Lake Powell was still filling up and was going down like it is today.
The experts said that it would take 20 years to
fill it back up again. All of the Utah and Colorado lakes were dry and then 1983 hit. Every lake and reservoir including Lake Powell and Lake
Mead was full to capacity and some were overflowing in just one year. It'll happen again.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-1400
d

Dr. Eagle
10-18-2003, 12:48 PM
Keith E. Sayre:
For those of you worried about the lake, I remember 1983 and what happened and I suppose it
will happen again. I was going to college in Provo Utah and they had the worst drought going
that they'd ever had and Lake Powell was still filling up and was going down like it is today.
The experts said that it would take 20 years to
fill it back up again. All of the Utah and Colorado lakes were dry and then 1983 hit. Every lake and reservoir including Lake Powell and Lake
Mead was full to capacity and some were overflowing in just one year. It'll happen again.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-1400
d Yeah, you are right it was 83. The spillways at Mead had never been used before and worked as designed, but they were damaged significantly internally by cavitation.