PDA

View Full Version : More Sidework Spam (Electrician)

Sandbar Mike
04-01-2003, 10:41 AM
"Boat related Spam"
[ April 11, 2003, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

uvindex
04-01-2003, 10:44 AM
Howdy. I might be interested (I'm in Lake Forest.) Would this work be the "pull permits" and "have a contractor's license" type of work? :) That's what I'm interested in, just to keep things on the up and up when and if I sell my house.
Thanks,
CS

Sandbar Mike
04-01-2003, 11:04 AM
Contractor prices can be very Costly?
Most of everything I do is remodel without permit. It's just your preference. You do not need to permit electrical upgrades to the house unless your changing structural integrity or full blown remodel.The last thing you want is a city inspector at your house. wink I'm a union electrician gone management and do not have a contractor license, If I had a full time electrical business I then definitly would.
Thanks for the inquirey
I edited my reponse, my previous was quick. :D
[ April 01, 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Sandbar Mike ]

ACCEPTENCE
04-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Sandbar Mike:
Do you wan't contractor prices?
Most of everything I do is remodel without permit. You do not need to permit electrical upgrades to the house unless your changing structural integrity or full blown remodel.The last thing you want is a city inspector at your house. wink I'm a union electrician gone management and do not have a contractor license, If I had a full time electrical business I then would get licensed.
Thanks for the inquirey It would be my suggestion to have permits pulled for any home improvements you do. In fact most cities require a permit for small things like a garbage disposal, wall plug replacement, switch replacement, furnace replacement and the list goes on...
The bigger problem with having work done by an unlicensed person and not pulling permits is the very real fact that if your house burns to the ground or suffers a loss and your homeowners insurance company get wind of the work or cannot find the building permits for the work thats been done, the homeowner is ass out, suckin wind and the insurance policy is null and void. They have the option of paying nothing on the claim.
At this point you can only hope the unlicensed contractor person giving you good guy non-contractor prices has some sort of insurance you can fall back on, I think not.
Someting to think about, Have a nice day

Stupid Fast
04-01-2003, 11:56 AM
I do not Know about Cali but in Ohio, A Permit is only required if you Remove or modify a bearing structural wall. This includes someting as simple as adding an outlet. Note only bearing walls apply. These would mostlikely be the outside walls and a center wall that trusses sit on. I hope this helps.
P.S. I thought the IBEW had a problem with electricians doing side work in their trade. I know that when I was in the Local 200 carpenters union they realy frowned on this and you could lose your book if caught.

Sandbar Mike
04-01-2003, 01:01 PM
Stupid Fast:
I do not Know about Cali but in Ohio, A Permit is only required if you Remove or modify a bearing structural wall. This includes someting as simple as adding an outlet. Note only bearing walls apply. These would mostlikely be the outside walls and a center wall that trusses sit on. I hope this helps.
P.S. I thought the IBEW had a problem with electricians doing side work in their trade. I know that when I was in the Local 200 carpenters union they realy frowned on this and you could lose your book if caught. I've been out of the IBEW for a few years now, you are absolutly right,

Sandbar Mike
04-01-2003, 01:06 PM
ACCEPTENCEThe bigger problem with having work done by an unlicensed person and not pulling permits is the very real fact that if your house burns to the ground or suffers a loss and your homeowners insurance company get wind of the work or cannot find the building permits for the work thats been done, the homeowner is ass out, suckin wind and the insurance policy is null and void. They have the option of paying nothing on the claim.
At this point you can only hope the unlicensed contractor person giving you good guy non-contractor prices has some sort of insurance you can fall back on, I think not.
Someting to think about, Have a nice day [/qb]Ouch, You must be an inspector.
Ya,
Go pull a permit for a ceiling fan. :D
So if your house burns down your one of those people who says oh shit I should have permitted that new light we put in thats my fault,wright in front of the insurance adjuster, :rolleyes:
give me a break, and another thing does your home owner insurance policy include a complete set of plans on your house to references that receptacle wasn't there when you bought it? Or that big as tree wasn't there when you bought it, so we won't repair your roof when that branch falls on it. What kind of ****ed up insurance do you have?
By the way sorry for offering to help out fellow Hot Boaters on saving a couple bucks.
argue :D
just something to think about
[ April 01, 2003, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Sandbar Mike ]

Hallett19
04-01-2003, 01:29 PM
Just rewired my entire house, I used Robertson Electric, charged like 7g for a 2200 sq ft home and my garage. Upgraded to 3 prong sockets in my whole house, recessed the lights in my kitchen, did some outside sockets, moved my whole breaker and meters and did ceiling fans and switches, dimmers, etc.

Sandbar Mike
04-01-2003, 01:39 PM
Hallet19
I'll bet it looks awsome, It's uprising what a little electrical can do for a house, especially receptacle and switches.

Hallett19
04-01-2003, 01:45 PM
NO kidding! What sucked was when I first moved in, it only had the two prong sockets and all the old switches, looked nasty. If anyone wants to do a fairly in-expensive upgrade that makes a HUGE difference its rewiring, it makes your house safer, more efficent and more appealing and makes your house worth 3 times more than the original cost of the wiring job itself (if that makes any sense) And we have a local electrician who will hook you up so I would highly recomend it. How many in your crew Mike and how long to wire a 2000 sq ft one story ?

sam pioske
04-01-2003, 01:56 PM
Hey guys: That statement about the insurance bieng invalid if permits are not pulled is way wrong. I have a friend who got pissed at a cheatin wife and spread 5 gallons of gas in his house @ lit it, burnt to the ground, But he had knowledge "fire capitan" has a nice new house now new wife too. I have upgraded many a house with out permits and sold them never a problem. If you have good insurance- you have insurance! Does not matter. Had a house hit by lightining burnt to ground house had been converted by me no permits insurance was fine with it.
Give the guy a chance.

THOR
04-01-2003, 02:44 PM
That is always good to know Mike.

Mandelon
04-01-2003, 03:07 PM
I'm all for a guy making a buck on the side. But it cuts into the rest of us law abiding insurance paying, licensed guys.
An unlicensed contractor can only "contract" up to $500. Any more than that is illegal. Can't split up a job into smaller ones. $1000 fine and up to 6 months in jail. If you advertise you have to say you are unlicensed in the ad.
I don't mean to rain on your parade, Mike, but you and your customers need to be careful.
www.cslb.ca.gov (http://www.cslb.ca.gov)

boatnam2
04-01-2003, 03:17 PM
i have some work sdmike,i will e mail you.

Sandbar Mike
04-01-2003, 03:19 PM
Mandelon:
I'm all for a guy making a buck on the side. But it cuts into the rest of us law abiding insurance paying, licensed guys.
An unlicensed contractor can only "contract" up to $500. Any more than that is illegal. Can't split up a job into smaller ones. $1000 fine and up to 6 months in jail. If you advertise you have to say you are unlicensed in the ad.
I don't mean to rain on your parade, Mike, but you and your customers need to be careful.
www.cslb.ca.gov (http://www.cslb.ca.gov) Mandelon you haven't rained on my Parade,
I'm actually not on a parade, I do very well for myself and really just help people out with electrical on the side when I get slow.
I actually haven't heard of that law, I gess if I were licensed I would. I actuall just finished up a couple side jobs for around 10K a piece, They were owner builder permits, but I was able to save a few guys quite a bit of money. I'm just giving people help with electrical, I'm not advertising.
Hopefully No offense taken,

Mandelon
04-01-2003, 05:30 PM
No problem, just a note for you to be cautious. The CSLB sets up stings and when they get an estimate from an unlicensed tradesman they take them to jail.
There is plenty of work nowadays. So I don't see it as a big deal. When things are slow and layoffs are more common there is a lot of unlicensed work going on. That drives down the prices and makes it hard for us who have to play by the rules. Youwon't believe how many painters there are when guys start gettin laid off.
Thinking back, that's how I got started. Ya gotta get started somehow...
You also have no lien rights. If the customer doesn't pay, you are out of luck, legally.
Just be careful.. :D

ACCEPTENCE
04-01-2003, 06:43 PM
Sandbar Mike:
ACCEPTENCEThe bigger problem with having work done by an unlicensed person and not pulling permits is the very real fact that if your house burns to the ground or suffers a loss and your homeowners insurance company get wind of the work or cannot find the building permits for the work thats been done, the homeowner is ass out, suckin wind and the insurance policy is null and void. They have the option of paying nothing on the claim.
Someting to think about, Have a nice day Ouch, You must be an inspector.
Ya,
So if your house burns down your one of those people who says oh shit I should have permitted that new light we put in thats my fault,wright in front of the insurance adjuster, :rolleyes:
give me a break, and another thing does your home owner insurance policy include a complete set of plans on your house to references that receptacle wasn't there when you bought it? Or that big as tree wasn't there when you bought it, so we won't repair your roof when that branch falls on it. What kind of ****ed up insurance do you have?
By the way sorry for offering to help out fellow Hot Boaters on saving a couple bucks.
just something to think about [/QB]Hey there Sandbar Mike,
If your advertisment said unlicensed electrician looking for side work, that would be one thing, but that didn't happen.
However, don't be sorry for offering to help out the guys on the boards, It's a good thing.
Just get a contractors license, liability insurance, workers comp insurance, pay your city business license fees and your all set. Then give your services away, I'm sure you can find plenty of side work at non-contractor prices. Yeah, I thought so...
By the way what's with the editing both posts after the fact and adding the attitude. The original post you wrote said "" YOU WANT CONTRACTORS PRICES?"". Kinda sounded like a cut throat thing I thought.
As far as the insurance thing goes, It can happen and they can denie the claim, I have seen it happen. So now you have to ask yourself as a homeowner is possibility worth the risk? eek!
There ya go...

C-Ya
04-01-2003, 07:51 PM
Sandbar Mike,
Are you willing to do any work in Parker? If so PM me, I might have some work for you and I could care less if you have a license or not, as long as you have the knowledge and good prices, that's all I care about!
C-Ya
[ April 01, 2003, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: C-Ya ]

boatnam2
04-01-2003, 08:05 PM
for me its worth the risk,im just getting some wires ran,we had a freind of a freind come over to give us a quote.he tells us the going rate and i just laughed.the guys paying no employes,no worker comp,insurance,and wants contractor rate.my father owns his own company so i hear what acceptance is saying but i would rather pay a buddie or freind of a freind 25bucks an hour then some f--ked up contracor that charges up the ass and the sends his mexicans over to do the work.

ACCEPTENCE
04-01-2003, 08:35 PM
boatnam2:
for me its worth the risk,im just getting some wires ran,we had a freind of a freind come over to give us a quote.he tells us the going rate and i just laughed.the guys paying no employes,no worker comp,insurance,and wants contractor rate.my father owns his own company so i hear what acceptance is saying but i would rather pay a buddie or freind of a freind 25bucks an hour then some f--ked up contracor that charges up the ass and the sends his mexicans over to do the work. I can agree with that, there are some real dirtbags out there contracting as well.
Kinda leaves a bad image for the stand up contractors.

Stupid Fast
04-01-2003, 08:36 PM
boatnam2:
for me its worth the risk,im just getting some wires ran,we had a freind of a freind come over to give us a quote.he tells us the going rate and i just laughed.the guys paying no employes,no worker comp,insurance,and wants contractor rate.my father owns his own company so i hear what acceptance is saying but i would rather pay a buddie or freind of a freind 25bucks an hour then some f--ked up contracor that charges up the ass and the sends his mexicans over to do the work. Contractors have boat payments. too :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

rrrr
04-01-2003, 08:50 PM
I own a construction company, we focus on the construction of data centers, telecom, and broadcast facilities. I have a double woohoo, electrical and mechanical engineer. Prior to earning my degrees I worked in the field for 10 years, and also owned a commercial drywall company. Safe to say I am comfortable doing whatever around the house.
My wife and I bought a house five years ago, and we tore out everything, took it to the studs and started over. About two years ago we went to dinner with some friends, and they brought another couple with them.
The conversation turned to our "project" and the guy I didn't know seemed interested in my description of our work. He asked me "Did you have any trouble getting a permit from the City of Plano?". I rolled my eyes and said " Who would mess with that, the city is a big pain in the ass."
My ohshit factor suddenly kicked in, and I asked him what he did for a living. He said "I'm the cheif building inspector for the City of Plano". Needless to say, I experienced immediate shrinkage factor. He laughed about my discomfort and that was all I ever heard about it. Whew!!!

ACCEPTENCE
04-01-2003, 08:54 PM
To funny with the ""ohshit factor"" eek! .
That's classic :D .

boatnam2
04-01-2003, 09:51 PM
stupid fast we just had a big block wall built by a contractor so i figure i made my share of his boat payments this year.

bordsmnj
04-01-2003, 10:14 PM
...On the other hand i've seen what residential/sidehack(no offence sbmike,we all do a sidejob at one time or another)electricians do to peoples houses. My friends with homes/businesses and such are always asking me how such things can be fixed. it's kinda funny and scary at the same time.It's fustrating to have fiar prices shot down and then have that same person call two months later and ok come on over for that one price and i have a couple more things to fix also. I hate guys just rape side jobs. I could write a book on things to look out for when having joe smo come to your house and start recomending this and changing out that...

Stupid Fast
04-02-2003, 12:17 AM
boatnam2:
stupid fast we just had a big block wall built by a contractor so i figure i made my share of his boat payments this year. I was just kidding (kinda). People would not belive what it takes to make a living contracting. You think that all the high rollers go to Vegas. Try running a contracting company. Especilly residential.
Boatnam,
You probably paid for about three peoples Walls. Getting people to pay is a pain in the ass. Just because some Jackass lost $5000 on the SuperBowl and you don't get paid (yes it has happened), you still have to pay your guys every week, and pay for your materials. Doctors and layers are the worst.
Your own epoloyees steel you blind if they can, and you have to Deal with the Union. Good contractors are hard to find but when you do find one I garentee he earns every dime.
Eric

Sandbar Mike
04-02-2003, 07:11 AM
ACCEPTENCE:
Sandbar Mike:
Someting to think about, Have a nice day Ouch, You must be an inspector.
Ya,
just something to think about Hey there Sandbar Mike,
If your advertisment said unlicensed electrician looking for side work, that would be one thing, but that didn't happen.
However, don't be sorry for offering to help out the guys on the boards, It's a good thing.
Just get a contractors license, liability insurance, workers comp insurance, pay your city business license fees and your all set. Then give your services away, I'm sure you can find plenty of side work at non-contractor prices. Yeah, I thought so...
By the way what's with the editing both posts after the fact and adding the attitude. The original post you wrote said "" YOU WANT CONTRACTORS PRICES?"". Kinda sounded like a cut throat thing I thought.
As far as the insurance thing goes, It can happen and they can denie the claim, I have seen it happen. So now you have to ask yourself as a homeowner is possibility worth the risk? eek!
There ya go... [/QB]Don't want to re-invent the wheel on the correct way to run your business, agian (if I did this full time I would be licensed)It's actually very easy to do. I edited my original response because I came off with attitude do to writing a quick response which I mentioned in the post.
If you met me off the boards you would realize I am a very eazy going person, I apologize if you took offense to me, I felt a bit insulted by your remarks but after reading back through I actually agree with what you said. :rolleyes:
I do have a question for you???? :D I mentioned in the title of this post, SIDE WORK, How many licensed contractors do side work, wouldn't it be just work. :D
RatherBeInLHC,
Hey bud sorry if I offended you, good luck with you remodel.
Damn I need my boat so I can settle down abit

uvindex
04-02-2003, 08:01 AM
RatherBeInLHC,
Hey bud sorry if I offended you, good luck with you remodel.Hi Sandbar Mike: No problemo, sir, I was never offended. :) I asked my question and you gave me a quick and straightforward answer. I kind of stepped out of the thread after that, 'cause it sort of became none of my business (especially when contractors started posting.) I'm sure you do great work, and I wish the best to you! My only reason for wanting a permit pulled for new electrical work I'm contemplating is that thing I have to sign if I ever sell the house that says, "no unpermitted improvements were done" or something like that. I'm the kind of guy who worries about something like that coming back to bite me on the butt later. :)
Again, good luck to you, and hope to see you at the sandbar this season!
Happy boating,
CS

superdave013
04-02-2003, 09:36 AM
Ok, I've been reading this thread.
I'm doing the same thing. The guy across the street is going to help me. He works for a large electrical contractor.
I'm getting my service upgraded to 200 amp and a few other things done.
I have to pull a permit for the service upgrade. Now way around that one. Now my other stuff I'm not permiting. It will be done after the inspector leaves.
I'm pulling the permit as the owner.

Havasu Luvr
04-02-2003, 10:11 AM
Damm, I love these Threads. Alot of Great information. After reading this, now I need to:
1. Stop Smoking
2. Permit my Light bulbs/ceiling fans/door bell/driveway lights (60w to 150w)freshly installed this year
3. no more BBQ's, wait, thats a fire permit from the local fire house
4. Storing Flamable liquids in Garage
5. Etc....
Just so my Ins. Policy will be current. Peeps need to get a life. Like the title says, "Side Jobs"
There is way to much DRAMA in this furom lately. Lets just meet at the watering hole and have a cold one

Stupid Fast
04-02-2003, 10:30 AM
??????
[ April 02, 2003, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Stupid Fast ]

Stupid Fast
???????????
[ April 02, 2003, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Stupid Fast ]

Stupid Fast
??????????,

Stupid Fast
????????
[ April 02, 2003, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Stupid Fast ]

Stupid Fast
??????
[ April 02, 2003, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Stupid Fast ]

Stupid Fast
Wow,
I have doubled befor but 7? :D I don't think this was my fault. eek!
[ April 02, 2003, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: Stupid Fast ]

Stupid Fast
Sand bar MiKe,
I was not trying to rain on your parade. I thought you were still in the Union. I have seen many guys get screwed out of their book because of side work. It really sucks. I have been on bothe sides of the Fence. I have done side work not on the up and up, And full blown contracting. I realized the risk I was taking doing sidework when I got a layer for some stuff as a contractor. There is alot of liability when you walk in someones home and work on it. Friend or not. Insurance helped me sleep at night.
That being said, Yes I still f, around and do things for money. Usually it is only people I know very well though.
Good Luck.
Like I said before it is hard to find a Good Contractior, Licenced or not.

Havasu Luvr
04-02-2003, 10:41 AM
RiverDave
Quadruple Digit Club
Member # 607
Member Rated:
posted 02 April, 2003 10:20 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
People offer up side work all the time on these boards. I do some side machining and so does a few other people.
I don't see the owners of machine shops on here pissin and moaning. Nor do I see the Stoned Monkey CNC Union on here talking about legallities.
I was kind of taken back when I read all the negativity about a guy just trying to help some people out and make some cash on the side.
RD "Right-On RD"
[ April 02, 2003, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Havasu Luvr ]

Stupid Fast
04-02-2003, 10:54 AM
RiverDave:
What the heck was that all about? :D
RD I real need to stop drinking at lunch. eek! :D :rolleyes: J/k

Skullinator
04-02-2003, 11:42 AM
hey mike do you know if the city of La Verne requires me to pull a permit to change the bulb that is stuck up people's !@#$ if so can you help me fill out the paper work.

Sandbar Mike
04-02-2003, 12:07 PM
:D wink

syke-o
04-02-2003, 11:09 PM
wow mike you got kinda beat up in here..... if i needed something done in regards to eletricity i would give you a call :D
my dad used to be a contractor, but now owns a different type of business and he still does side work for a little extra(under the table cash) every now and again.... we all like a little extra spending money :) :)