PDA

View Full Version : Buy a new boat which one to buy?

RiskyinElsinore
09-20-2002, 09:12 AM
Hey guys looking at the new boats is like being in a candy store. I am looking for a boat 23' to 25'open Bow which one is the best buy for the money After Shock,Commander,Renegade, need some help guys.And how about the new 496 Bravo is it the right engine too push the boat to the 65 to 70 mile range?
[ September 20, 2002, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: RiskyinElsinore ]

Steamin' Rice
09-20-2002, 09:20 AM
There are lots of great boats out there and there have been many discussions on this topic. I suggest you search the archives for some info and go from there. What is important to you for your boat and what are you wlling to give up in order to get a lower priced boat?
Also, since most people are biased and will tell you that the boat they have is the best built, I suggest asking more direct questions about specific boats.

kcm21
09-20-2002, 09:29 AM
i own a commander but like the lavey's alot
-kev-
good luck

SPECTRABRENT
09-20-2002, 09:41 AM
I would go and talk to Mike @ Howard, he has a Howard 25 in the works. Looks like at nice boat.
Brent

rivercrazy
09-20-2002, 09:58 AM
I have heard the 496mag ho pushes the Shockwave 25 Tremor to 70 or slightly above. Go drive whatever you are interested in would be my suggestion and look hard at how the boat is produced. :D

river-rat
09-20-2002, 10:01 AM
I've been looking in your size range now for a couple of months. Here is what I think... (only my opinion)
1. Commander, Aftershock, Cobra, etc. not worth the possible rigging problems you will encounter in the future. Plus, resale value on those boats will be less.
2. Lavey, Howard, Shockwave are my favorite 24-25' out there right now styling wise. The openings on the cuddy in the Lavey and Howard are a little small for me. I really like the roominess in the 25 Shockwave.
3. Ultra has a 23 and 24' that looks nice. not as big as Lavey's 24 though. When I was down there last month, they didn't have either of the 2 boats there for me to look at. I would like to look closer at the 247xs the next time I am down there.
4. Reading numerous tests and using some common sense, I think the Shockwave w/496 MAG (375) will run around 66 mph. I suspect the HO will run 2 to 3 mph faster. The Lavey 24 is a smaller and lighter boat. The steps on the hull are more aggressive. I would guess that the Lavey 24 w/ the 496 MAG (375) will run around 67 to 68 mph. With the HO in it, 70+.
I'm getting the Shockwave for 2 reasons. Large openings through the cuddy and interior roominess. Not to mention they make a great boat!
Good luck.

RiskyinElsinore
09-20-2002, 10:43 AM
What about the Renegade boats.How about the 24' open bow is the rigging any good ?

superdave013
09-20-2002, 10:45 AM
river-rat:
I've been looking in your size range now for a couple of months. Here is what I think... (only my opinion)
1. Commander, Aftershock, Cobra, etc. not worth the possible rigging problems you will encounter in the future. Plus, resale value on those boats will be less.
2. Lavey, Howard, Shockwave are my favorite 24-25' out there right now styling wise. The openings on the cuddy in the Lavey and Howard are a little small for me. I really like the roominess in the 25 Shockwave.
3. Ultra has a 23 and 24' that looks nice. not as big as Lavey's 24 though. When I was down there last month, they didn't have either of the 2 boats there for me to look at. I would like to look closer at the 247xs the next time I am down there.
4. Reading numerous tests and using some common sense, I think the Shockwave w/496 MAG (375) will run around 66 mph. I suspect the HO will run 2 to 3 mph faster. The Lavey 24 is a smaller and lighter boat. The steps on the hull are more aggressive. I would guess that the Lavey 24 w/ the 496 MAG (375) will run around 67 to 68 mph. With the HO in it, 70+.
I'm getting the Shockwave for 2 reasons. Large openings through the cuddy and interior roominess. Not to mention they make a great boat!
Good luck.Good reply RR. I'm tossing ya 5 stars for that one! :D
What do you guys think about the cuddy? Seems like a hassle to crawl through there to get to the open bow part. I think a walk through would be better for us big guys. But then again you loose the cuddy stabbing cabin. Trade offs, trade offs.
Anyway, don't steer this guy worng as I plan on riding in his boat until mine's done. I might be riding in his for awhile :confused:

Hermosa
09-20-2002, 10:55 AM
You might want to look at the Kachina 23' Bandit or 26' Force. I was really impressed when I rode in them a few weeks back, thought the cheaper boats like Kachina would show their price, but for the money I think they are OK. I have friends that have both the 23' and the 26'. if you want to go crazy money, I would wait for the new 25' Howard Bullet, that looks like a nice boat.

river-rat
09-20-2002, 11:33 AM
superdave013:
river-rat:
Good luck.Good reply RR. I'm tossing ya 5 stars for that one! :D
What do you guys think about the cuddy? Seems like a hassle to crawl through there to get to the open bow part. I think a walk through would be better for us big guys. But then again you loose the cuddy stabbing cabin. Trade offs, trade offs.
Anyway, don't steer this guy worng as I plan on riding in his boat until mine's done. I might be riding in his for awhile :confused: SuperDave013,
Thanks for the stars! For a walk through, you have to look at the Lavey 24. BIG for a 24'.

rivercrazy
09-20-2002, 11:50 AM
The shockwave can be done in a walkthrough as well. For a cuddy, it is easier to get through than most out there due to its size and height. I doubt you can go wrong with the Lavey as well. Both very very nice boats. There is just a bit of a size difference so it depends on your individual needs and tastes.
A while back, powerboat did a writeup on a full walkthrough 25 Tremor. It ran 69 with a 415hp 502mag mpi. With a closed bow and the 496HO, I think 70 ought to be a very doable number, maybe even low 70's under the right conditions. :D

Steamin' Rice
09-20-2002, 11:58 AM
Hey Risky,
I hope my initial reply didn't come across as me being a smartass. I was just trying to stay out of a "my boat is better than your boat" debate...
This forum is a great way to get feedback on various boats, good and bad, but you also have to decide for yourself what is right for you. I was shopping for a V bottom in the 27-30' size range and wanted something that I could take in the ocean. After looking at all of the west coast customs, the 29 Shockwave was the best boat for me. My boat was delivered in the end of May and I have been using the boat all summer without a single problem.
Good luck with the boat shopping process, if you want feedback on any particular builders be sure and post your questions here. Let everyone know what you end up with!!
[ September 25, 2002, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Steamin' Rice ]

RiverDave2
09-20-2002, 12:39 PM
I'm flat amazed that no one ever suggests Warlock.
Risky in Elsinore, there a quality boat that's always on the edge of going out of biz so you can pick them up cheap. They have to be doing something right to win all those championships a few years back.
There 25 definately has alot of "moxy" to it. wink
RD

shockwaveharry
09-20-2002, 01:35 PM
RiverDave2:
...There 25 definately has alot of "moxy" to it. wink
RDDon't you mean "boxy"?

shockwavebd
09-24-2002, 04:40 PM
RiskyinElsinore:
Hey guys looking at the new boats is like being in a candy store. I am looking for a boat 23' to 25'open Bow which one is the best buy for the money After Shock,Commander,Renegade, need some help guys.And how about the new 496 Bravo is it the right engine too push the boat to the 65 to 70 mile range?I just got mine done if you would like to go for a ride send me a email 496 mag ho :D

mike37
09-24-2002, 05:05 PM
check out HTM if you want a 24' cat with a lot of room 496 mag ho 74 mph
<a href="http://www.hightorquemarine.com/" target="_blank">
link to HTM</a>

Steamin' Rice
09-25-2002, 02:54 PM
shockwavebd:
I just got mine done if you would like to go for a ride send me a email 496 mag ho :D I'll take a ride!!!! :D :D

river-rat
09-25-2002, 03:18 PM
What's with the plastic winshield on the 25 Rage?

Steamin' Rice
09-25-2002, 03:38 PM
The Nodic looks pretty good for having a plastic windshield, but you can't go wrong with a nice bolt-on... :D :D

DogHouse
09-25-2002, 03:45 PM
Wouldn't normally correct someone's spelling or grammar, but in this case I just have to... I'm sure you meant a nice "set of bolt-ons"! One would be a little awkward! :D

Havasu Cig
09-25-2002, 03:50 PM
Warlock builds a solid boat. My friend had a 27' Wordclass that he just sold. He used the boat alot in the ocean and it handled it well.

Steamin' Rice
09-25-2002, 03:53 PM
good one doghouse... :D

RiverDave2
09-25-2002, 04:22 PM
river-rat:
What's with the plastic winshield on the 25 Rage?Plexi Windshield. I'd be impressed if you can find any one of there boats that doesn't have one.
RD

NashvilleBound
09-25-2002, 04:43 PM
Risky: I have an 01 Ultra 247 open bow (crawl through). I, at this point, wouldn't trade it for anything I have seen on the market. Not that I wouldn't make a few minor changes... John was exceptional to work with and put up with my constant questions and poking around. I have the HP500EFI/XZ. Boat runs 83 on GPS. It is suppossed to go in next week for a Whipple system and drive upgrades. It will be at Pyramid Lake 11-13 of Oct, if you want to check it out....always like showing potential Ultra owners the performance and quality!
Good Luck, Jeff aka NashvilleBound

RiverToysJas
09-25-2002, 05:33 PM
Many good boats and good people out there!
Personally I like Lavey Craft! :D I feel the design of the hulls is more original than many others out there.
(I've been waiting to jump into this thread until I announced my new Lavey purchase wink )
RTJas :D
[ September 25, 2002, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: RiverToysJas ]

shockwavebd
09-25-2002, 05:56 PM
Steamin' Rice:
shockwavebd:
I just got mine done if you would like to go for a ride send me a email 496 mag ho :D I'll take a ride!!!! :D :D A ride? come by pick it up and take it out your self! :D :D wink
[ September 25, 2002, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: shockwavebd ]

bigorangefan
09-25-2002, 07:36 PM
Jeff; where did you get your Whipple?, and who is doing the install? Why did you pick the Whipple over the Pro Charger? I want to pump up my HP 525 before next summer.
"GO VOLS"

River Ric
09-25-2002, 10:04 PM
Hey Guys, I was at Teague last week looking at some extrasss. and went next door to Howard Boats and they have a 25" Nordic. It was loaded for $49,000. That's a $70,000 boat with all the bells and whistles. I think it had a 502..Also you guys shouldn't bash any boats. They all have their pluses. I have had my Cobra 23' Cuddy open bow for almost 9 months. We put 50 hours on it. Yeah the crawl throughs are small but hey I do most of the driving anyway. The 496 mag runs it at 68 mph on the GPS. Let me know if you have questions??
River Ric :) :) :)

NashvilleBound
09-26-2002, 04:42 AM
BigO: It will be done by Gt Performance, Gary is highly recommended. You have the new HP525?????...your a dog! I did so much reading and calling around talking to everyone. I feel VERY confident Whipple makes the best system and stands behind it 100%. Dustin has been great. I am not an easy sell either, I am about as anal as they come trying to learn everything. One of my best qualities...driving them crazy with my standard 100 questions.
NB

Steamin' Rice
09-26-2002, 09:29 AM
RiverDave2:
Plexi Windshield. I'd be impressed if you can find any one of there boats that doesn't have one.
RDRD, prepare to be impressed.... :D :D
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/Nordic21_4.JPG

RiverToysJas
09-26-2002, 09:41 AM
Steamin' Rice:
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/Nordic21_4.JPGWhat is that?
I like the graphics.
RTJas.

Steamin' Rice
09-26-2002, 01:41 PM
RTJas,
I'm not sure if this one of their production models or not. I think that it's 21' long, this particular one was built for ski racing. I saw it at the Catalina ski race and it is a nice setup. HP500EFI with ITS sportmaster drive, no interior or engine cover. I have heard that it hits speeds in the 90's..