PDA

View Full Version : Ford vs. Chevy sound sysyems

Stoked
02-22-2003, 08:31 AM
I am ready to purchase a new Ford F250 crew cab or a Chevy 2500HD crew cab. I have driven and researched both trucks until my head hurts and my wife is starting to hate me. Either truck would suit my needs very well. In my present truck 92 Chevy dually, my sound system is MB Quart seperates, 6.5" in the door, 4" and tweeters in Q forms on the kick panels. Finishing up with 2 JL 12W6's behind the rear bench. Amps under the passenger and passenger rear bench. I am very pleased with the system. Without reinventing the wheel or excessive fabrication what are you guys doing to get quality sound in the new trucks.
Thanks for the help
Steve

beyondhelpin
02-22-2003, 09:22 AM
I am running a system with the similar components. I am running MB Quartz components in the front with a JL 10 in the back. I tried putting a JL 12 in but I just could not get it to sound right. It was to boomy and did not blend with the system. Don't know what the deal is. Should sound great but it descent.I might just go with a pair of 10s instead. But overall the system sound great. I just cant play the heavy bass stuff as loud as I would like.
When you go with a head unit try out an MP3 player if you already haven't! 187 songs on one CD!
I have a 2000 Chevy ext. cab and the doors are set up for components. The factory system is ok for your Grandparents but don't think any factory system would full fill you needs.
[ February 22, 2003, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: beyondhelpin ]

GlastronGuy
02-22-2003, 09:51 AM
Chevy Silverado
I replaced my head unit with a Blaupunkt that plays MP3s and has an aux connection. I can also play my MP3 player or any portable unit thru it. I replaced the factory speakers with Polk (which was a mistake). 6.5 components in the front doors and 4X6 in the rear doors. An MTX amp behind the rear seat and I used a 10" Sony Explode I got for Xmas for a sub. I just built a box to fit under the rear seat. It sounds OK but I want to replace the 6.5s in the front. The 4X6s sound better than them. I am looking at Infinity.
http://www.crutchfield.com/ has great customer service and http://www.sounddomain.com has good prices.
I saved everything I pulled and packed it away nicely in case I want to put it all back in when I get rid of the truck. A private party might want an aftermarket stereo but a dealership won't give you extra for it. Generally speaking.
[ February 22, 2003, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: GlastronGuy ]

Haullen270
02-22-2003, 11:27 AM
My MB Quartz speakers (6) plus (4) tweaters with an Alpine Amp and Alpine Head unit and 12 disc Alpine CD Changer and (4) Kicker Bass speakers sounds awesome! I would Love to have a similiar setup in my new Suburban.

SoCalOffshore
02-22-2003, 12:02 PM
What MB Quartz speakers would you advise putting in a boat? Components or the 6 x 9's

beyondhelpin
02-22-2003, 12:54 PM
SoCalOffshore
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What MB Quartz speakers would you advise putting in a boat? Components or the 6 x 9's
I'm no expert but with the outside environment in a boat I would think the 6 x 9 s would be a better choice. I don't know if the benefits of the component speaker would be as noticeable as a little extra DB unless you are putting in a lot of speakers.
[ February 22, 2003, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: beyondhelpin ]

mbrown2
02-22-2003, 05:46 PM
In my Supercrew, I am running an Eclipse Single CD, and Eclipse 6 Disk in Dash unit...CDT Seperates front and back, JL Stealthbox in the front console all off an Audiobahn 6x75 amp....sounds great, and hits great.

ROZ
02-23-2003, 01:03 AM
SoCalOffshore:
What MB Quartz speakers would you advise putting in a boat? Components or the 6 x 9's MB's Nautica line.

iparky
02-23-2003, 09:48 AM
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD come factory BOSE! The system sounds great with controls in the steering wheel. You can order a DVD system w/roof screen on the 4 door HD's. What more could you ask for> :D

SoCalOffshore
02-23-2003, 12:12 PM
How is the ride in the 2500 HD pick up? Did you test the 2500 Suburban?

Stoked
02-24-2003, 01:58 PM
SoCalOffshore
It's a hard decision. Went to 4 stores yesterday.
They both are very nice. As of right now I am leaning towards the Chevy. I liked the ride, the Ford felt as though it wanted to wander. The Chevy is quieter and the suspension doesn't seem as stiff. I know I would be happy with either truck.

SoCalOffshore
02-24-2003, 04:23 PM
Are you going with the 8100 Vortec or Duramx Deisel? I am trying to decide which I am going with. Have you heard from anyone on the gas mileage of the Vortec? I am going for a test drive this week and may have to order mine if I can't find the color I want.

snappertapper
02-24-2003, 04:54 PM
go ford

Stoked
02-24-2003, 05:37 PM
Are you going with the 8100 Vortec or Duramx Deisel? Have you heard from anyone on the gas mileage of the Vortec
SoCalOffshore
I am looking at the Duramax 15-20 mpg, 373 rear end. I have 2 friends with the 8100 Vortec, dually and Suburban.
They tell me they are getting 9 mpg. Towing a 27 Hallett and the other a racecar in an enclosed trailer. And 10-13 around town. They are both very happy with the performance of the trucks. I have done the math and the Diesel will pay for itself in 4 and a half years. I usually keep my trucks 10 years. Contact Haullin270 he has the suburban. Hope this helps.
Steve

Chaddyshack
02-24-2003, 05:41 PM
I went with the Chevy.. 02 2500hd 4x4 with the Duramax and Allison.. 3.73 rear. I also have the Panasonic DVD/MP3/CD screen/player with Boston Acoustics seperates in both front and rear doors with 2 10" fosgates under the back seat. JL 300/4 for the mids/tweets and JL 500/1 for the subs. Louder and hell for me when I'm passing the fords on the hill getting 20 mpg with it. I've got almost 35k miles on mine and no problems as of yet (and its lifted).
My .02

goeasy8
02-24-2003, 07:30 PM
What are MB Quartz? Ive never heard of them..

SoCalOffshore
02-24-2003, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the great info. If the weather clears tomorrow, I am going to drive the deisel and see how she drives and the noise level vs. the Vortec. Found a chevy dealer for $300 over invoice.

Stoked
02-24-2003, 09:06 PM
Chaddyshack,
I think your setup is exactly what I want. Bostons' excellent choice! I went with Bostons in my boat. They sound real smooth. I couldn't be happier. BTW are your 10's in QForm enclosures, how hard do they hit? Lastly where are your amps located. Truck sounds awsome, can't wait to get mine. Hopin for next week.

beyondhelpin
02-24-2003, 11:39 PM
goeasy8
What are MB Quartz? Ive never heard of them..
They are a German made speaker. Very sweet. They are about the only speaker I use in my vehicles. They are not cheap but not overly expensive. I like them and Bostons. If you live in a decent size city surly someone will carry them.

goeasy8
02-25-2003, 11:20 AM
do they have a website? I cant seem to find one..