PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Airliner Struck by Lightning!

Metal_King
03-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Plane struck by lightning! (http://lightning.pwr.eng.osaka-u.ac.jp/lrg/temp/plane.html)
Very cool footage. The plane returned SAFELY back to the airport!

502procharger
03-04-2003, 01:38 PM
that is cool as hell, well not if you were on the plane, but still cool as hell.

KrazyKa
03-04-2003, 02:23 PM
In general I think planes getting hit by lightning may be more pervasive than expected. A couple of years ago I took what I thought was a routine flight cross country. A few weeks after the flight I got a letter from American Airlines stating the "turbulance and disturbance you may have experienced during your flight" was caused by the plane being struck. Hell, it was news to me - I never felt a thing. :)

HBjet
03-04-2003, 02:39 PM
that is wild.....for a second there when I saw the first part of the topic name, I was think Oh Shit....Not again. Thank God it was just lightning...
HBjet

Infomaniac
03-04-2003, 02:51 PM
Lightning strikes. I hate those. Makes my job very difficult.
About 500 to 1,500 or more little burns in the skin where the lightning bounced down the airframe. Each one measured and compared against limits in the Structural Repair Manual (SRM). Some measured by the mechanic and some measured by Non Destructive Testing (NDT)inspectors using digital thickness devices. Each one of the burns either blended out or repaired depending on the depth of damage compared to the thickness of the skin in that area. Repairs consisting of a single spot drilled and a rivet installed, a silver dollar type of doubler or a skin cut out and a bigger doubler of some type. Sometimes paperwork from engineering saying it is good to go.
Either way it is my job to make all of this happen. No extra time given for this during the course of the maintenance visit. Holy Shit! I need to get home and build blower engines.
Thanks for the reminder Metal_King, Cool Video !!

beyondhelpin
03-04-2003, 03:50 PM
Damn that is one hell of a lightning strike!
Planes get hit with lightning all the time. You wont find many planes out there without scar or two on the fuselage from the lightning. Usually they are pretty easy to repair. My brother in law was even on a flight when St. Elmos Fire rolled down the aisle. (balls of lightning)
Info
Is that plane in now. I would like to see it. Back at work now. Two weeks off for the broken shoulder. I am now the scourge of the hangar.....they made me the dock auditor of hangar 5. Its okay, I make them avert their eyes and not make eye contact with me!!! :D :D :D

Sleek-Jet
03-04-2003, 03:54 PM
Info and beyondhelpin, do you work for the "major airline" maintenance in Tulsa?
[ March 04, 2003, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Sleek-Jet ]

Infomaniac
03-04-2003, 05:00 PM
beyondhelpin I bet you and Tom Esmond are like peas in a pod LOL That is very old lightning footage.
Sleek-jet Yes you are correct.

JetBoatRich
03-04-2003, 07:39 PM
Nice shot, wonder if they new it on board. wink

25 Eagle
03-05-2003, 06:09 AM
Here's the pilot talking.
http://www.whoohoo.net/pilot/index.htm
[ March 05, 2003, 06:10 AM: Message edited by: 25 Eagle ]

superV
03-05-2003, 07:54 AM
Infomaniac:
Lightning strikes. I hate those. Makes my job very difficult.
About 500 to 1,500 or more little burns in the skin where the lightning bounced down the airframe. Each one measured and compared against limits in the Structural Repair Manual (SRM). Some measured by the mechanic and some measured by Non Destructive Testing (NDT)inspectors using digital thickness devices. Each one of the burns either blended out or repaired depending on the depth of damage compared to the thickness of the skin in that area. Repairs consisting of a single spot drilled and a rivet installed, a silver dollar type of doubler or a skin cut out and a bigger doubler of some type. Sometimes paperwork from engineering saying it is good to go.
Either way it is my job to make all of this happen. No extra time given for this during the course of the maintenance visit. Holy Shit! I need to get home and build blower engines.
Thanks for the reminder Metal_King, Cool Video !! Info, I am a Level III in all methods of NDT cool to see someone mention it! :D Not to many people know of it.