PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Im going to burn my boat.

Mr. Crusader 83
03-21-2006, 07:18 AM
okay.... i had a post on here awhile ago about this problem and i thought from all the info i would be able to fix it but no such luck.
i have a 454. all stock.
msd 6a box with blaster 2 coil, and billet dist. (new as of last year)
msd cap, rotor, and wires. new acdelco plugs gapped at 50thousands
holley 750 cfm carb. (brand new just put it on)
new fuel seperator.
fresh fuel.
okay so the boat ran all last year no problems. i let it sit for the winter in a garage. i was out in havasu in jan. to start it up and.... no go
so heres what it does.
you pump the gas 2 times and it sprays fuel. you hit the key and it fires up. but dies 10 sec. later.
a friend of mine in havasu that builds engines says it sounds like and ignition problem. has anyone ever had this problem with their msd??????
help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flat broke
03-21-2006, 07:28 AM
If it fires right up off the two accelerator squirts, I doubt it's an ignition problem. When it dies after running 10 seconds, can you give it two more squirts and then run it again for another 10 seconds? If so, look into fuel delivery.
If not, go through all of your connections in your ignition system. Make sure the 12v feed wires on the MSD go directly to your battery or battery switch, perform the diagnostic on the MSD by shorting the trigger wire (its in the instruction manual), check the resistance in your coil ( do a quick google search), and make sure all connections are being supplied the voltages they need right when the motor dies.
I'd still say its a fuel system problem, and since you're getting gas pumped up to the carbs to fill the bowls and use the squirters, we can probably rule out everything up to the carb for the time being.
You said you just changed the carb to a 750? Did the boat ever run with that carb on it? Also, were the upgraded ignition components installed to try and cure this problem as well?
Next time you're out trying to get her to run, when she starts to die, blip the gas enough to get another accelerator pump shot or two and see if the motor will continue to run off gas added by the accelerator pump.
Good luck with it, and keep us posted.
Chris

Mr. Crusader 83
03-21-2006, 09:00 AM
the ignition has been on there for a year. i did not put it on there to solve the problem. it ran fine with the msd, last year.
i put the new carb on there. but the boat did not run with the old one.
so..................
im sayn fuel too. but what else can i do?
i put new fuel line, new seperator filter. new fuel.
??????????????????????????????????????

centerhill condor
03-21-2006, 09:15 AM
do you need to adjust your carb? for idle circuit fuel ratio?

centerhill condor
03-21-2006, 09:16 AM
fuel tank vents functional?

RCB19
03-21-2006, 09:28 AM
Keep in mind that the motor is pretty cold this time of year and if you don't have a choke on the carb it will want to die out. Keep feathering the throttle till the motor builds enough heat and idles on it's own. If that carb is new adjustment is deffinitely in order.

boater012
03-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Where are you located in socal??????? Im in long beach and would be willing to take a quick trip to the lake with you next week to figure it out for ya!
No charge!! Just buy me lunch :crossx:

Cas
03-21-2006, 10:30 AM
electric or mechanical fuel pump?
If it's electric, I've seen a couple where the armiture (sp) gets some corrosion from sitting. I just went through this with a friend of mine, the pump was barely pumping.
If it's mechanical, the diaphram may have dried out and cracked.
If either type of pump is a little worn out, there's a chance they aren't able to pump enough fuel.
Checking the fuel pressure is a pretty easy and cheap test.

Mr. Crusader 83
03-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Where are you located in socal??????? Im in long beach and would be willing to take a quick trip to the lake with you next week to figure it out for ya!
No charge!! Just buy me lunch :crossx:
i was going to go to elsinore on sunday to try and run it....
if you wouldnt mind... tell me what time.
it has a man. fuel pump.
and i tried covering the carb. like a choke and still no go.
as for adjusting the carb. what screws and how many turns out from all the way in.
its a 750 cfm holley w/ vac sec.

MarKist
03-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Dude I had the same problem !! :220v: we check everything and it is all new MSD,BLASTER 2,BLA BLA after going through it all twice it would fire up and run fine but when it was under a load it would go all to hell,so I changed the MSD box, same thing ..changed the new coil out and that was the problem :crossx: keep in mind that it was all new so we took it to a car show and MSD truck was there and he ran a test on it and sure enough it was a bad coil .....hope yours is as easy as mine was to fix try swaping with somebody just to see if thats it ....Good luck
Markist

455Rocket
03-21-2006, 10:55 AM
electric or mechanical fuel pump?
If it's electric, I've seen a couple where the armiture (sp) gets some corrosion from sitting. I just went through this with a friend of mine, the pump was barely pumping.
If it's mechanical, the diaphram may have dried out and cracked.
If either type of pump is a little worn out, there's a chance they aren't able to pump enough fuel.
Checking the fuel pressure is a pretty easy and cheap test.
That's exactly what I was gonna suggest.

Cas
03-21-2006, 10:59 AM
the other thing, how are the fuel lines? Are they crimped anywhere? has a little section collapsed on the inside? (hard to find)
I really think I'd start with a pressure test so you can eliminate things 1 by 1.
A dual feed with built in pressure gauge is pretty inexpensive.
connections
coil
resistor
fuel delivery
all posibilities

Mr. Crusader 83
03-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Dude I had the same problem !! :220v: we check everything and it is all new MSD,BLASTER 2,BLA BLA after going through it all twice it would fire up and run fine but when it was under a load it would go all to hell,so I changed the MSD box, same thing ..changed the new coil out and that was the problem :crossx: keep in mind that it was all new so we took it to a car show and MSD truck was there and he ran a test on it and sure enough it was a bad coil .....hope yours is as easy as mine was to fix try swaping with somebody just to see if thats it ....Good luck
Markist
I THOUGHT THIS TOO. BUT IF YOU TAKE A WIRE OFF THE DIST AND CRANK IT OVER IT FIRES EVERYTIME. OR IF YOU TAKE THE COIL WIRE OFF

MarKist
03-21-2006, 11:08 AM
IMO I think its a ing. problem cause that don't sound right..good luck
Markist

speed freak
03-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Pull the fuel line from the carb and run it into a container and have some one crank it over. BUT DISABLE THE IGNITION FIRST! You should be able to tell if you have good volume to the carb. If the volume is weak you either have a bad pump or a plugged pick up in the tank. Good volume then a carb problem. :cool:

boater012
03-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Where in socal are you???? can you swing by and ick me up on your way to the lake???
I have an extra msd box i use for testing that is a (known good) part.
If you can take a wire off the distributor and it will run something is amiss.
let me know!

Mr. Crusader 83
03-21-2006, 11:49 AM
I Live In Oceanside.
North County San Diego

JEThro
03-21-2006, 03:19 PM
I'll bet that you have water in the gas. Pump some fuel into a big glass jar and let it sit for a while. If there is any water, it will settle to the bottom.

roostwear
03-21-2006, 03:48 PM
So when he first starts it, the water in the bowl is sitting in the bottom? How does it run for 10 seconds?

sanger rat
03-21-2006, 03:54 PM
While your at it gap them plugs down to 35.

boater012
03-21-2006, 05:26 PM
P.m. me and ill give you directions on where to pick me up at!!! i can meet you in the o.c. and save you some driving! :cool: ill have 6 blow molded cases with test equipment and a very large tool bag so make room for that crap too!!

Ken F
03-21-2006, 05:52 PM
If you burn it, be sure to set it adrift before you do.
Have a proper Viking funeral.
I know just how you feel, I've been that frustrated before too!
Ken F

sleekcrafter
03-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Check the "check valves" at the tanks, they get sticky and gummed up. Sounds like fuel, it you can give it to squirts to make it run. Try and put a Fuel pressure guage, inline with the carb, and see what you have. I all the above is there, I would also, suspect water in the fuel.
Sleek

Marty Gras
03-21-2006, 06:41 PM
Did you leave the 'ballast resistor' in place ? If not, check for 12 volts with the key ON. It may fire up for only a moment (on the bypass wire from the starter solenoid) then die, because you don't have 12 volts from the key/ ignition (purple wire) to the 'turn on' circuit of the MSD. It might just be the 20 amp fuse under the dash, but the purple wire MUST have 12 volts when the key is in the RUN position.

signmaster
03-21-2006, 07:32 PM
if you can keep it running with the accelerator pump the problems in the carb most likely, a good way to clear a dirty carb is to bring your rpms up to about 3500 or so and quickely place a hand over the choke horn immediatly cutting off all air to the engine until it stalls this ussually will suck all carb passages clear of particals /debrees etc...

Rocknpalms
03-21-2006, 07:44 PM
It sounds as if you are getting fuel to the bowl and to the accelarator pump. I also dont think it is ignition. I think the main jets are clogged in the carb. It starts up and burns the fuel you added by the accelarator pump but then dies when the jets need to take over. Pull the float bowl cover, unscrew the jets and clean them out. Just my .02

Cas
03-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Since it sat for a few months, I guess there's a good possibility that a little gas in the carb could have gotten gummy. Ya just might be on to something there RP.

Mr. Crusader 83
03-22-2006, 06:39 AM
thanks for all your guys help. ... yesterday i pulled the fuel pump off. (mech) and black oily shit came out of it.
so i drained the tanks replaced the water seperator and ran all new fuel lines.
im picking up the new holley fuel pump today. so im hopen thats the problem.
cuz it fires, and pumps gas. but once its time to idel. it dies.
keep in mind that this is a brand new carb.

HammerDown
03-22-2006, 07:22 AM
How-bout adding a simple fuel pressure guage at the carb. Because if this ever happens > no pressure = no run = you'll know for sure. ;)

Cas
03-22-2006, 08:04 AM
That black oily stuff is probably the fuel lines breaking down. If it were me, I'd go with the gray Coast Guard Approved fuel line from at least the tank to the fuel pump. I dumped all that black automotive stuff a couple of years ago. I got tired of replacing it every year.
I'm with Hammer though, I would have put the inline pressure gauge in first and most definitely put one in now. The other area of concern are the pick-ups inside the fuel tanks. Most have a little screen on the bottom that will sometimes get plugged. The only way to fix is to pull the senders and possibly the tanks. Installing a pressure gauge gives you a great tool to keep an eye on the fuel system.

Cas
03-22-2006, 08:22 AM
do you have a filter between the fuel pump and carb? If not, you may need to pull the carb apart to clean it out.

Mr. Crusader 83
03-22-2006, 08:50 AM
thanks alot guys... really... all this helps...
this is what im doing today and we will see if it works out for me.... if not its time for FIRE !!! LOL
im going to put on the new fuel pump. clean the carb out again. i have already replaced fuel lines, and i presureized the fuel tanks so that the fuel would come out the feed side. it has good flow there. so im hopen that its the fuel pump. it had a week stream, whn i crank it over. so maybe just maybe the pump and a pressure gauge will solve my pain in the ass....

Cas
03-22-2006, 07:24 PM
well? inquiring minds want to know the outcome :rollside:

Mr. Crusader 83
03-23-2006, 07:02 AM
well im sad to say.....
but the biatch runs.... HELL YEAH!!! LOL :rollside:
i put a new fuel pump and pressure gauge.
cleaned the jets and she fired....
so thanks for all the input. i owe you all some beers.

Squirtcha?
03-23-2006, 07:20 AM
So.............does this mean we don't get a fire? :)

Mr. Crusader 83
03-23-2006, 07:25 AM
not this week!!!!

Cas
03-23-2006, 07:38 AM
Glad to hear it works! Too bad though, you could have made a safety video on how to torch a boat.

Mr. Crusader 83
03-23-2006, 08:15 AM
i will let you know. i havent taken it out yet.... we might be burnin it on sunday in elsinore. :crossx:

Rocknpalms
03-24-2006, 10:17 PM
So were the jets clogged when you cleaned them? Just wondering cause that was what I was thinking.

Mr. Crusader 83
03-24-2006, 11:25 PM
Nope... Bad Fuel Pump... No Psi

Cas
03-29-2006, 10:23 AM
well? how did it run?

Mr. Crusader 83
03-29-2006, 10:27 AM
like a champ... look at the pics on the tread about elsinore. the last page

lucky
03-29-2006, 10:32 AM
I would not be suprised if it's an msd problem-- :crossx:

Mr. Crusader 83
03-29-2006, 10:38 AM
I would not be suprised if it's an msd problem-- :crossx:
thats what my buddy scott said. but it ended up being fuel. bad pump and the carb was pluggd up