PDA

View Full Version : havasu

carreraboat
04-08-2003, 04:26 PM
Ok i am going to throw something in here and probaly going to get flamed but oh well. So where does this size thing end? Been to havasu and drove 100+ in a cat and you run outta lake pretty darn quick so how does the 40' plus boats that go 100+ where do they run safely?Is it going to take another accident to make people really think when to much is too much? I really can,t think I am the only who thinks this way? I have nothing against large boats but what is your guys and gals take on this size should we proactive or reactive

H2on22
04-08-2003, 04:40 PM
Big boats are great to look at, I'm sure crazy to drive and go alot faster than most...but just cause you got a $200k boat that goes 120 mph doesn't mean you have too. Boats that big belong in the ocean but I'm all for fast anything (boat, car, bike etc. But let's make sure you leave some room for the little guys too. Besides, I pay the same taxes everyone else does.
PS don't forget the HTM guys. Not a big boat, but were those guys acting responsibly when they were shooting for 140 or 150 mph or whatever it was on a public facility like Castaic. RIP, but now I can't go over 35 mph w/out some yahoo/Babe Watch dude pulling me over at a lake that's 25 min away from me. Where the hell to I have to drive to go 50 or 60+???? :mad:
[ April 08, 2003, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: H2on22 ]

C-2
04-08-2003, 07:47 PM
Hey what’s up Bo….just so you know, I heard Overton’s has a sale on flame suits :D :D :D
Isn’t it 26 miles from Thompson Bay down to the bottom of the lake? That seems like plenty of room to me? Even Catalina is closer than that (I believe).

Coach
04-08-2003, 08:31 PM
I think about it all the time esp being a 21 ft boat. Too many times I have seen guys racing around blind turns nearly taking out other boaters. There are idiots with all types of boats but to drive like an ass with a 30+ boat is going to do a lot more damage. I am not sure the problem will get any better.

Havasu Luvr
04-08-2003, 08:39 PM
I feel that your energy should be directed toward the Operator of the boat and NOT the size of the boat. An Idiot behind a 34' is also an Idiot behind a 21'
My $.02

SCUBA STEVE
04-08-2003, 08:49 PM
Havasu Luvr:
I feel that your energy should be directed toward the Operator of the boat and NOT the size of the boat. An Idiot behind a 34' is also an Idiot behind a 21'
My $.02 I was almost nailed by a 27' eliminator daytona on saturday. I was cruising to copper canyon at about 35, he blew by me at what I would say 70, normally I would say thats cool, but I didnt think it was cool when he did that 3 feet away from me. I would blame the operator first & foremost before size of the boat. especially since I did eventually get hit that day, by a pantoon.

al cole'holic
04-08-2003, 08:57 PM
Do you have a problem with big Hummers too?
hehehehe.....

21rayson
04-08-2003, 09:03 PM
there is a time and place for everything. as long as you use common sense. just remember that you are not the only one on the water.just my opinion.

carreraboat
04-09-2003, 05:19 AM
I think havasu lvr has a very good point about the operator i think you can be an idiot in any size boat so what is the solution? by the way i love to have a big hummer
[ April 09, 2003, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: carreraboat ]

Havasu Cig
04-09-2003, 08:49 AM
Here we go again... :rolleyes:

hot_diggity_dog
04-09-2003, 09:43 AM
If any of you have been in or operated one of the larger boats at 100+ with multiple motors, then you know that it takes a little more skill to operate than the typical boat. :rolleyes:
You have to monitor your gauges and the controls and watch what's in front of you and make split second decisions. eek!
All I'm saying is that the guy's I know that have these killer big boats, know how to drive them. :rolleyes:
I think it's the guy's on the LIQUID ENCOURAGEMENT that are driving like ASS@#$@%#$%$zzzzzzzzz :mad:
I'm against the big brother theory, leave it, and us alone, to have the freedom to drive whatever we can afford. :mad:
MY .02
HDD :cool:

Coach
04-09-2003, 10:00 AM
Havasu Luvr you said what I meant. The size of the boat does not matter as much as the operator. I really think that a licensing program needs to be started. The launch ramps would be responsible for checking that at least one driver is licensed in order to launch. This may not solve all the problems, but at least more divers would be educated about boating safety. This still would not stop people from boating without a license, but if you are stopped without a licensed driver the boat would be impounded. Unfortunately I don't think any of this would help without more patrol on the river (which would be a difficult task at best). I realize that there are bad drivers on our road who have licenses. Having a license doesn't make you a better boat driver, but a least if more boater where educated and tested we might be able to reduce some of the accidents that happen.
This reminds me of the CA water ways add about "the other guy". Which none of us are ever wrong on the water. I think a big part of that is many don't under stand right of way to start, which leads me back to educating more boaters.

Seadog
04-09-2003, 10:11 AM
I have always supported a reasonable licensing requirement. Maybe an endorsement on the driver's license. It should also require that the operator have special endorsements for certain types of boats, such as go fasts, cabin cruisers, jet skis, etc.

Havasu Cig
04-09-2003, 10:38 AM
Sounds like type ratings on a pilots license. That would be a great job doing "check rides" all day. :D

Blown 472
04-09-2003, 10:52 AM
RiverDave:
Seadog:
I have always supported a reasonable licensing requirement. Maybe an endorsement on the driver's license. It should also require that the operator have special endorsements for certain types of boats, such as go fasts, cabin cruisers, jet skis, etc. I have always just been a big fan of common sense.. :) Problem is it seems less and less people seem to have it now days, which means a licensing program might happen sometime in the future. :(
RD Why should they have common sense, if something happens you can blame someone else, drunk? grind up your wife with the prop after she falls out the boat, well then the peeps that build the drive are responsible for it.

Ziggy
04-09-2003, 11:03 AM
Tooooooo many young drivers releasing energy without the wherewithall of understanding water conditions and BASIC waterway rules!!!!...For the most part I have seen very responsible drivers, they have large investments to protect, and they take care not to bounce off others.
I believe boat size has nothing to do with it, large boats just make the simple manuevers more of a chore. Its the first timers who bring their whole crowd of friends along on their maiden voyage, load the boat to the gunwales and makes a bunch of stupid moves to impress his friends only to sink halfway accross the lake(anyone ever see this??)
Regulation would be a near impossible task but the rest of us boaters can do more about by being pro-active and letting these inexperienced boaters in on the rules and knowledge we've gained over the years.
I wonder what BoatCop has to say about this issue or what ideas he would come up with.
[ April 09, 2003, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Ziggy ]

OC-PARTYCAT
04-09-2003, 11:17 AM
Been to havasu and drove 100+ in a cat and you run outta lake pretty darn quick That lake has plenty of room to run. are you sure you werent in copper canyon?? You shouldnt run 100 mph in there.
Scuba Steve...I woulda followed that ****er in the daytona......and leave the rest up to your imagination. wink
[ April 09, 2003, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: OC-PARTYCAT ]

Jbb
04-09-2003, 11:25 AM
RiverDave:
hot_diggity_dog:
If any of you have been in or operated one of the larger boats at 100+ with multiple motors, then you know that it takes a little more skill to operate than the typical boat. :rolleyes:
You have to monitor your gauges and the controls and watch what's in front of you and make split second decisions. eek!
All I'm saying is that the guy's I know that have these killer big boats, know how to drive them. :rolleyes:
I think it's the guy's on the LIQUID ENCOURAGEMENT that are driving like ASS@#$@%#$%$zzzzzzzzz :mad:
I'm against the big brother theory, leave it, and us alone, to have the freedom to drive whatever we can afford. :mad:
MY .02
HDD :cool: Man I totally disagree with that.. and yes I've been in several big dog boats over the years. The big boats just open up the throttles and cruise across whatever the lake serves up. The Small guys (that are actually haulin ass) have to actually pay attention to water conditions etc... and are more likely to pick and choose there places to run a little more carefully.
Just a side note here, it's been my experience (watching anyways) that most of the big boat guys are sippin on them margaritas running 100+ becuase the small boat guys would be wearing the drinks, not drinkin em.
(Two seperate conversations all together, big/small & alcohol/no alcohol)
Overall though, before ANYTHING else, I'd say safety has to do with the experience of the driver, as well as if he excersizes good judgement in any type of boat, with or without alcohol.
RD So RD .......What IS your position on boating and alcohol....lol.. :D

HavasuDreamin'
04-09-2003, 11:36 AM
JETBOAT BRIAN:
So RD .......What IS your position on boating and alcohol....lol.. D Now that is funny! LMAO :D :D

Ziggy
04-09-2003, 11:44 AM
HavasuDreamin':
JETBOAT BRIAN:
So RD .......What IS your position on boating and alcohol....lol.. D Now that is funny! LMAO :D :D If you really think about it...it ain't so funny. eek!

Seadog
04-09-2003, 11:45 AM
"Regulation would be a near impossible task but the rest of us boaters can do more about by being pro-active and letting these inexperienced boaters in on the rules and knowledge we've gained over the years."
Licensing will not stop idiots from being idiots, but may prevent someone from buying or borrowing a boat that they have no capability of running. There is a big difference in insurance for loaning your high end SUV or whatever to another licensed driver as compared to an unlicensed driver. The boat cops do safety inspections now whenever they have reason to suspect somone's actions, this will not change that except for being another tool to help control jackassery.

XLGPP
04-09-2003, 12:46 PM
Just a side note here, it's been my experience (watching anyways) that most of the big boat guys are sippin on them margaritas running 100+ becuase the small boat guys would be wearing the drinks, not drinkin em. come on now RD, you know I got that helmet with the bottle holders with the straw that goes straight to your mouth idea from you... hands free... yippeeee :D

carreraboat
04-09-2003, 02:57 PM
what would you think about an org. such as extreme boats of america ofering some type of high performance boating classes with like maybe f1 and f2 racing guys teaching the class i have heard it discussed before kinda like what welcraft did before you know a day class and a nominal fee just to teach high speed handling skills just like what havasu lvr said just because you got 200 grand doesnt mean you can drive
just a thought
bo

Ziggy
04-09-2003, 03:39 PM
RiverDave:
Ziggy:
Tooooooo many young drivers releasing energy without the wherewithall of understanding water conditions and BASIC waterway rules!!!!...For the most part I have seen very responsible drivers, they have large investments to protect, and they take care not to bounce off others.
I believe boat size has nothing to do with it, large boats just make the simple manuevers more of a chore. Its the first timers who bring their whole crowd of friends along on their maiden voyage, load the boat to the gunwales and makes a bunch of stupid moves to impress his friends only to sink halfway accross the lake(anyone ever see this??)
Regulation would be a near impossible task but the rest of us boaters can do more about by being pro-active and letting these inexperienced boaters in on the rules and knowledge we've gained over the years.
I wonder what BoatCop has to say about this issue or what ideas he would come up with. Ziggy, I just hate to be disagreeable all the time, but you had to throw the word "young" into it. I know 13 year old kids on Parker Strip that could teach alot of the old timers a thing or two about pulling up to a dock, or side tieing to another boat. To be perfectly honest I'd trust a few of them more behind the drivers seat then the majority of the people on this board.
I don't believe that it has to do with boat size, age, or alcohol, but rather has more to do with experience & mentallity. Stupid people will do stupid shiznit with or without a license, drunk or sober, and regardless of age.
Responsible people can be somewhat intoxicated (actually to be truthfully honest, I've seen a few that are VERY intoxicated) make the right decisions and never "create" a dangerous situation.
RD Ok, maybe I catagorized them to be "young" when maybe the right term should have been "green" or inexperienced. My son is 20 (1/2 my age) and grew up around boats and motorcycles, he's very attentive and knows the rules, so to speak. Caught him a few times when he didn't know I was around and was pleasantly surprised by his calm control. My point being that many of the, lets call em newbies, tend to be the culprits(plus the occassional arrogant jackass) when it comes to these calamities we speak of, and feel our influence and knowledge can be of help. I agree with what your saying but still think we are best equiped to help ourselves by giving pointers to others.
We all want to go have fun and f**k around with the boat now and then but there is a right time and place for it, not around everyone else's boats. Being seen doing stupid stuff doesn't impress people, it just makes 'em shake their heads (and the young have more tendancies towards wanting to be noticed).
Thats why I kinda wanted to see what Boatcop had to say about this issue.
Zig

Ziggy
04-09-2003, 03:53 PM
carreraboat:
what would you think about an org. such as extreme boats of america ofering some type of high performance boating classes with like maybe f1 and f2 racing guys teaching the class i have heard it discussed before kinda like what welcraft did before you know a day class and a nominal fee just to teach high speed handling skills just like what havasu lvr said just because you got 200 grand doesnt mean you can drive
just a thought
bo Carrera,
I think some training is a good idea but the problem is implementing such a program. Easy enough if buying a new boat but used boat purchases from private parties make it virtually impossible I think. Like the basic ATV training they offered, that would be good. Rare that a high powered boat is causing a problem, I believe there is more issue with basic boating rules, marker bouys, docking, loads, etc. that needs to be taught.....Basic crap, and overall respect for other boaters. :cool:
Zig

77charger
04-09-2003, 04:36 PM
hot_diggity_dog:
MY .02
HDD :cool: I can agree with some of this but to drive a big boat fast doesnt take that much IMO.It takes alot more driving a smaller boat at triple digits than a 25 ftr or bigger due to water conditions.Dont believe me try driving a 19ft tunnel jet at 100 plus or a flat where you have to be on the right water and KNOW how to work the plate or you are swimming.
But on the liquid encouragement i agree totaly from experience(never caused damage or crashed,or injured anyone) :)
Overall a bigger boat will handle water where a smaller boat will crash but even a bigger boat can crash too but less likely under 100mph

SCUBA STEVE
04-09-2003, 05:19 PM
OC-PARTYCAT:
Been to havasu and drove 100+ in a cat and you run outta lake pretty darn quick That lake has plenty of room to run. are you sure you werent in copper canyon?? You shouldnt run 100 mph in there.
Scuba Steve...I woulda followed that ****er in the daytona......and leave the rest up to your imagination. wink My top speed with a boat load of people is around 50. That daytona could have ran circles around me. Believe me I wanted to give that guy a piece of my mind. And maybe an nice rooster into his boat. But I try to be the bigger and smarter person out there. Even though I only have 1 full season under my belt, common sense can take you along way.

playdeep
04-09-2003, 07:00 PM
Maybe it's just me...
I would rather be in a lake surrounded by 30+ft.100+mph boats...
than a single 6+ft.50+mph,projectile commonly known as a jet ski... :rolleyes:

Sandbar Junkies
04-09-2003, 07:03 PM
AMEN

mbrown2
04-09-2003, 08:30 PM
I worry about the size and speed of the idiot...not the boat. An idiot on a Jet Ski can create more havoc on Havasu then a driver of 100+ 30' boat and vice versa..

Coach
04-09-2003, 08:38 PM
The Jet Skis are a better reason for a licence program. I was nearly put into the rocks on a tube and my budddy did go into the rocks a few years back because a jet skier cut the boat driver off. Mind you the driver is a river rat for over 35 years and had never had anything like that happen. I am sure this is a whole new can of worms but jet skiers can be a major problem because so many newbies ride them with NO EDUCATION. I don't like the idea of educating someone after they have F-uped rather than teaching them before they go out for first time, then hammer there ass when they do F-up on the water.

Ziggy
04-10-2003, 10:05 AM
Coach:
The Jet Skis are a better reason for a licence program. I was nearly put into the rocks on a tube and my budddy did go into the rocks a few years back because a jet skier cut the boat driver off. Mind you the driver is a river rat for over 35 years and had never had anything like that happen. I am sure this is a whole new can of worms but jet skiers can be a major problem because so many newbies ride them with NO EDUCATION. I don't like the idea of educating someone after they have F-uped rather than teaching them before they go out for first time, then hammer there ass when they do F-up on the water. And keep the fricken unsupervised kids off the damn things too!!! :mad: :mad:
I don't have anything against the jetskis, rode the good ol' standup for years but its the operators that are ignorant...especially if you see one of the rentals(too cool to buckle up PFD even). Those guys get a nice wide safety zone from me. :p