PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Steering

Badseed
03-21-2006, 07:55 AM
I cant believe I dont know this...ashamed to admit it but here goes.
:boxed:
In upgrading from standard cable steering to hydraulic do I need to make sure the unit i am using states specifically that it will eliminate (or nearly eliminate) torque steer? Or will all hyrdaulic systems eliminate it?
I think all systems dont negate torque steer but i want to be sure before i spend the money.
thanks in advance for the help (and for not laughing)
'Seed

Tom Brown
03-21-2006, 10:08 AM
If torque steer is your problem, why not try a torque tab on your gear case before you spend big money on a new steering system?

Towndrunk
03-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Every hyd steering I have had does away with steering torque.

Kim Hanson
03-21-2006, 07:39 PM
If torque steer is your problem, why not try a torque tab on your gear case before you spend big money on a new steering system?
Those torque tabs didn't work for me Tom, it spit them off everytime..........( . )( . )...........I fight with it with a no feed back steering now, it sucks to say the least.

Forkin' Crazy
03-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Every steering system has some torque steer. Even my new Sea Star Pro on my Allison. I believe that if you don't have some torque tab on the lower, it will crab to keep the boat straight... and could cause a blow out... That being said, my hydraulic has torque. It is harder to turn to the left then it is to the right, even with a torque tab. Teleflex makes a "no feed back" steering system. Might be something too look at if you're on a budget. A Sea Star Pro isn't the cheapest system, but I'm not looking back.:D

Badseed
03-21-2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the help. I do realize that there will never be "NO" torque, but I was thinking about going with the sea star, however my motor is only a 125. so the baystar system could work...its a little less expensive as well. Again thanks for the help!

Towndrunk
03-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Every steering system has some torque steer. Even my new Sea Star Pro on my Allison. I believe that if you don't have some torque tab on the lower, it will crab to keep the boat straight... and could cause a blow out... That being said, my hydraulic has torque. It is harder to turn to the left then it is to the right, even with a torque tab. Teleflex makes a "no feed back" steering system. Might be something too look at if you're on a budget. A Sea Star Pro isn't the cheapest system, but I'm not looking back.:D
Your system aint right then. On my last stv I could let go of the wheel over 90 mph and she just kept on going straight. Maybe the torque is because you're running a pad boat. I'll let you know if it's the same on mine this week if it ever quits raining.

Forkin' Crazy
03-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Your system aint right then. On my last stv I could let go of the wheel over 90 mph and she just kept on going straight. Maybe the torque is because you're running a pad boat. I'll let you know if it's the same on mine this week if it ever quits raining.
Yes it is. I can let go of my wheel and it will go straight, but it is harder to turn to the left then to the right. I would call that torque steer.

Towndrunk
03-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Yes it is. I can let go of my wheel and it will go straight, but it is harder to turn to the left then to the right. I would call that torque steer.
Naw, I think your left nut is weaker than the right one. :p