PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help???

PaRaptor
07-08-2003, 12:59 PM
Ok here it goes. I just bought a boat from a friend of a neighbor who desperately needed to get rid of it. It is a 1980 Rinkerbuilt I/O 140h.p. Tri-Hull. Now here is the problem, I never owned a boat or even driven one. The boat runs great, starts on first turn of key, I just need to know some of the basics like there is a switch for a blower?, and a pump?, can you tell what exactly you use these for and when? Also is there a place where you can find an owners manual for this boat? I only payed 200 bucks for this boat with a trailor and it is in excellent condition so I don't want it to go to waste so any help would be greatly appreciated..

al cole'holic
07-08-2003, 01:04 PM
Pump's out the water collecting in the engine compartment so you don't sink, and the blower sucks out fumes and gases from the engine compartment so you don't blow up. :D

Chase
07-08-2003, 01:08 PM
Welcome to the world of boating..
The blower switch is to control a blower which is intended to eliminate all gas fumes in the engine compartment prior to start up. This is to prevent any ignition of the fuel vapors that may exist in the engine compartment. They say to run this for about 4 minutes prior to startup.
The pump switch controls the electric bilge pump. This is to pump out any water that may be collecting in your boat.
You may be ablr to find an owners/service manuals from various marine distributors in your area. Or internet may help if you do a search for service manuals for your model.
Has this boat been used at all recently?? If not you may want to get somebody to look it over. Just a little preventative maintence can save alot of money in the near future. Take a look at the oil level/condition in the leg, in case there is water in there...the list can go on...

PaRaptor
07-08-2003, 01:08 PM
Do you think this is a good boat and also I searched all over for owners manuals for this boat with no luck. Does anyone know if Rinkerbuilt is still in business?
[ July 08, 2003, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: PaRaptor ]

SCUBA STEVE
07-08-2003, 01:29 PM
If it floats & runs, for $200 I would say that is a good boat.
There is always going to be someone with a better & faster boat. :)
As long as your happy with what you have, thats all that matters. :D
I would take CHASE'S advise and just have a professional or someone look it over, before you get stuck out on the water.
Good luck, & Welcome to the Boards.

Chase
07-08-2003, 01:30 PM
Rinker is still building boats. Some of thier units look pretty sweet. I see thier ads in several of the magazines I read. I am only assuming that rinker is the same as Rinkerbuilt

Moneypitt
07-08-2003, 02:18 PM
You say it starts right up, that's good...But if you run it dry,(no water from a garden hose while in the driveway) that's bad...Most I/O have a way to hook them up to a water supply for trailer running. You must keep the water pump in the outdrive wet or you will ruin the impeller.(even 10 seconds dry is too long) I will agree that any boat that floats and runs for $200 is a great deal, and considering that the trailer has to be worth what you paid for the whole deal, you scored! I would suggest that you put the plug(s) in, fill about 6 inches of water in the bildge area and make sure the bildge pump works, you can also look for water leaking out, cause if it leaks out, it will leak in. Just learn to be safe,with the proper safety equiptment, and the rest of the fun will come in due time.
................Moneypitt

Chase
07-08-2003, 02:23 PM
Good point money pit...It would be a good idea to get the impeller changed regardless, since you don't know what this boat has been through before it was bought. Something as simple as this little $10 item can cost alot if it fails.