PDA

View Full Version : Canvas tennies

roostwear
10-08-2003, 09:38 PM
Back in the '60s and '70s I used to wear Jack Purcell's all the time. It may have been a West Coast thing, but they were beyond cool. I bought a pair a few weeks ago, and I still love 'em. Canvas tops and an honest-to-God non-skid sole. My kids like them, but my wife has never heard of them and thinks I've lost my mind. Does ayone else remember these?
http://www.converse.com/LiveFiles/1/130/M7136_220.jpg
http://www.converse.com/LiveFiles/1/137/M9012_220.jpg

GlastronGuy
10-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Nope. I wore Converse All Stars.

NorCal Gameshow
10-08-2003, 09:45 PM
i used to wear some similar to those playing flag football :D those and some denim and a t-shirt and you were set...

phebus
10-09-2003, 06:11 AM
Around here, that's all the teenage girls wear. In time, everything goes full circle.

comin' unscrewed
10-09-2003, 06:12 AM
I never heard of "Jack Purcell's". I had to have "PF Flyers".

Laveyman
10-09-2003, 06:15 AM
When I was a youngun growing up in rural Minnesota, we called them "Bumpers." That's what the kids whose parents couldn't afford the cool brand new lines of shoes called Nikes wore. Back then they weren't cool. Now they're a staple. Just look at Vans. They made a business out of them.

JetBoatRich
10-09-2003, 07:37 AM
Wore those with our "OP" shorts :D

superdave013
10-09-2003, 07:37 AM
I grew up in Indiana. I wore Vans Off the Walls.
Could not buy them in stores so I would mail order them. I would follow the instructions in the back of the skate mags very carefully. My mom would trace my feet and send it in.
In between those I'ed sometimes have to stoop down to Converse Chuck Taylors.
BTW, I have a pair of Vans on right now. :D
Good post about old skool shoes. I guess it's time to bust out the old skool Tony Alva again. :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/9TADogBowl.jpg
[ October 09, 2003, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

Froggystyle
10-09-2003, 07:44 AM
Me too SD!
Check out this ride... Early transportation for me...
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/skatevans.jpg
By the way, unfortunately, that pic was taken two minutes ago, not 20 years ago. That linoleum is still in my garage!

Froggystyle
10-09-2003, 07:45 AM
Froggystyle:
Me too SD!
Indy 5's, German (GMB) Bearings, Vision Blurr wheels, Thunderbolts... yeah baby!
By the way, unfortunately, that pic was taken two minutes ago, not 20 years ago. That linoleum is still in my garage!

Froggystyle
10-09-2003, 07:46 AM
Trying to casually cover up a double post... :rolleyes:

roostwear
10-09-2003, 07:56 AM
NorCal Gameshow:
i used to wear some similar to those playing flag football :D those and some denim and a t-shirt and you were set... Uh, well, that's what I wear NOW! My Jack's, faded 501s, and a Hondo shirt and I'm good to go.

mirvin
10-09-2003, 09:05 AM
Yep, groing up in the South Bay we wore Vans only!! The original Vans store was just down the street. We didn't even know what Converse was let alone Jack Purcells.... :D

STGP
10-09-2003, 09:28 AM
Roostwear,
I remember Jack Purcells they were the coolest shoes goin when I was a kid but they were expensive, JC Penny made a knock off of the Jack Purcell that cost about half, you could tell the difference because Jack Purcells had a red section on the sole in the arch and the fakes had blue. It was easy to tell who the rich kids were. I had the fakes.
Do they still make them? where can you buy them?

Low B
10-09-2003, 12:30 PM
Loved "Purcell's"! Still would love to have a pair. Where can you get them?

Screaming Pete
10-09-2003, 12:35 PM
Froggystyle:
Trying to casually cover up a double post... :rolleyes: I feel your pain on the double I made my first one this week. And if you have all this time for the boards how come you haven't called me to stop by.... :)

havasulew
10-09-2003, 01:51 PM
I grew up in the south bay of LA. Let's go back to about 1962. Purcells cost about 9 bucks. My mother used to buy them for me. They sure were cool. When dad found out mom spent 9 bucks for a pair of tennis shoes for me he freaked. If I remember correctly dad only made about 650 dollars a month before taxes. I guess it's all relative, or is it. Even in the last 10 years I haven't spent more than 24 dollars on a pair of tennis shoes. I just can't justify spending over 100 dollars for a pair of tennis shoes. I think I'm pretty screwed up though. I don't have a problem with a supercharged 588 in my boat.

STGP
10-09-2003, 02:18 PM
Low B,
go into Photoshop and put a pair of Purcells on you avatar, probobly make the bass sound fatter and you'd be lookin sharp!!!

Froggystyle
10-09-2003, 02:20 PM
Screaming Pete:
Froggystyle:
Trying to casually cover up a double post... :rolleyes: I feel your pain on the double I made my first one this week. And if you have all this time for the boards how come you haven't called me to stop by.... :) Anytime Pete... I have an appointment downtown at 4:30, but this evening is fine, and I will be working on boats all day tomorrow.

Ziggy
10-09-2003, 05:04 PM
Froggystyle:
Froggystyle:
Me too SD!
Indy 5's, German (GMB) Bearings, Vision Blurr wheels, Thunderbolts... yeah baby!
By the way, unfortunately, that pic was taken two minutes ago, not 20 years ago. That linoleum is still in my garage! You young guys call that early transportation??? My first boards were wood planks and steel wheels stolen off roller skates---then we had the major upgrade to clay wheels. Coolest was the plastic "flex" board when they finally came out with the gum wheels..(green ones called snakes I think) LOL Shortly afterwords the wide trucks arrived and the new skate era began...
Oh and Van shoes were da kine :D

NoCal NoBoat
10-09-2003, 05:23 PM
I'm old school enough to remember when your choices in Converse Chuck Taylors were black or white, low or high. Then came Adidas around the 72 Olympics. Converse countered with colors - lots of colors. Our varsity basketball team custom ordered theirs in purple to match the home jerseys.
Nice board, Froggy - mine was a G&S Fibreflex, Bennett Pro trucks and OJ wheels. The other board was a Rainbow, Tracker trucks and Road Rider
wheels (that board flew off Pier 39 and sleeps with the fishes in San Francisco Bay). The rider
wore the post "Fast Times" Vans - black and white w/checkers...