PDA

View Full Version : Killer recipes?

beached1
11-25-2002, 03:03 PM
Ok, so I'm bored. Have you ever noticed that everyone has a killer way to make something? Like MissHBjets epic 7 layer dip for example. I've had 7 layer dips before. Store bought, homemade, etc. But MissHB's kicks ass! So, what's your hot ticket? What's the secret behind it?
I'll start with a few I know:
The best marinade for fish is 7 Seas Viva Italian salad dressing. Throw in some Garlic salt, Trader Joes Sea food grill and broil, salt and pepper and anything else in the kitchen that looks good. Marinade all day, then Bar-B que. A very low fire or coals to cook with. Turn them often to keep them from drying out. Poor the marinade over it every time you flip them. This works well with Halibut, Swordfish and my favorite Ahi. It's good by itself, but I like them in a taco usually. Chop up some green Onions, cilantro and cabbage and mix it together. Fish in a steemed corn tort with the cabbage/onion/ciltantro mix. Squeeze a lime on it and some good salsa, pop a corona and get down on it.
The secret to good breakfast potatoes. Fry the bacon first, then use the grease for the taters. Throw in some salt, pepper, Laurys and whatever else you like in them.
Add some brown sugar and mustard if you are cooking canned baked beans. Makes em better.
[ November 25, 2002, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: beached1 ]

rivercrazy
11-25-2002, 03:14 PM
A solid Margarita Recipe (for a rocks marg).
3 shots good quality marg mix
1.5 shots of Cazadores Tequilla (Key Ingredient)
.5 shots of triple sec
1/4 of fresh lime
1 shot water.
ENJOY!!!!!!!

boatnam2
11-25-2002, 03:28 PM
beached1 thats how i cook all my fish italian dressing is the way to go.definition of bored im getting ready to go shopping with missb to costco.frigging wind!what about tri tip i know we have a few tri tip chefs on board.myself i use as my marinade of soy,touch of ketchup,a1,kikoman teriyaki glaze(65 percent is this)bbq sauce,fresh garlic,onion,cut thick slices of oranges in marinade,pepper, a little garlic salt,mix together and marinate.as i bbq i keep the oranges soaked in marinade on top of the meat for moisture and it easy way to keep putting on the marinade.i just keep dipping them in the marinade and setting them back on the meat the whole way through.not to sound gay but you guys will be telling me i have the best meat in town!j/k

rivercrazy
11-25-2002, 03:34 PM
Another good tri tip mariade is:
Olive Oil
Lime
Red wine
Salt & pepper
Lea & Perins (Worchester Sauce)
Hint of tabasco

Kurtis500
11-25-2002, 03:46 PM
I'll keep mine simple. When heating up canned refried beans put some cream cheese in it. Does WONDERS! I dont even like cream cheese, but it works.

disco_charger
11-25-2002, 03:50 PM
Tri Tip Marinade: Cheese Fantastico Italian Dressing. Put the meat and the marinade in a freezer bag in the fridge 24 hours before you BBQ. Works Great!
Disco

rivercrazy
11-25-2002, 04:12 PM
The simplest recipe I know and the best drink
1/3rd Grey Goose Vodka
2/3'rd Tonic (Schweppes is pretty good. don't use Canada Dry - its harsh)
1/3 of a lime.
KILLER!!!!!!
Or if your like Havasu Hangin - its more like 90% Vodka with a splash of mixer. Then it don't matter what kind of tonic you use..... LMAO!
[ November 25, 2002, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: rivercrazy ]

78Eliminator
11-25-2002, 04:20 PM
rivercrazy:
The simplest recipe I know and the best drink
1/3rd Grey Goose Vodka
2/3'rd Tonic (Schweppes is pretty good. don't use Canada Dry - its harsh)
1/3 of a lime.
You're a real genius. So for a total of 4/3? Or were you talking about 2/3 of a cup? wink
I like bombay sapphire gin and tonic.
[ November 25, 2002, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

Jrocket
11-25-2002, 04:20 PM
Avon...Avon...get your Avon here.Can I interest anyone in this lovely five piece tupperware set,only 19.99 and wait for a limited time I'll throw in the matching ovenwares.....LMAO Sorry I just had to.. :D

78Eliminator
11-25-2002, 04:22 PM
RiverDave:
I got a killer recipe for the snacky snacks, but to listen to it most people shutter.. (It actually is good)
I got this recipe off of a ritz cracker box back in the 80's so don't think I made it up, but after munching one I've been eating them for years.
Ritz Cracker.
Little spread of peanut butter on top.
A "dollup" of Miracle Whip on top of that and a pickle of your choice on top of that.
RDSound like AHA approved food. Nice.

jetaddict
11-25-2002, 04:26 PM
Get large glass out, fill it full of Everclear.Oh yeah I almost forgot, then Q the tri-tip.

rivercrazy
11-25-2002, 04:33 PM
Why thank you Felix! Those ingredients to are for a glass. i.e. in a VERY LARGE GLASS, fill it with ice. Then 1/3 Grey Goose and 2/3 Tonic.
78Eliminator
You're a real genius. So for a total of 4/3? Or were you talking about 2/3 of a cup? wink
I like bombay sapphire gin and tonic.[/QB]
[ November 25, 2002, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: rivercrazy ]

78Eliminator
11-25-2002, 04:38 PM
rivercrazy:
Why thank you Felix!Just trying to use it as an opportunity to give you hell since you are always doing it to me...

rivercrazy
11-25-2002, 04:42 PM
I can take it as well as dish it out!
Its all in good fun there bud... :D

Havasu Hangin'
11-25-2002, 04:50 PM
rivercrazy:
Or if your like Havasu Hangin - its more like 90% Vodka with a splash of mixer. Then it don't matter what kind of tonic you use.....Mixer? Oh..yeah..I've heard of that stuff...
A philisphical mentor of mine once told me, "why do you polute good alcohol with mixer?"
My reply- "Uh...cuz my liver already hates me enough?"

disco_charger
11-25-2002, 05:14 PM
Best drink recipe.
Bucket of Captain Morgan's
Add Diet Pepsi for color. Imbibe freely.
Good Drunk snack
Cottage Cheese swimming in Mrs. Butterworth Syrup.
Better Drunk Snack
Jack and the Box Tacos...has to be after 3am, and you'd better be so drunk you shouldn't be driving.
Also best gas combo.
Peanut butter, milk, jalepenos, dill pickles and cabbage. You could clear a large room. :p
All of these recipes were discovered during my eight years :( of college. The last was consumed, cause I was out of money and it's all I had in the fridge.
Disco the eater of fine (or really any) foods.

disco_charger
11-25-2002, 05:15 PM
Havasu Hangin':
rivercrazy:
Or if your like Havasu Hangin - its more like 90% Vodka with a splash of mixer. Then it don't matter what kind of tonic you use.....Mixer? Oh..yeah..I've heard of that stuff...
A philisphical mentor of mine once told me, "why do you polute good alcohol with mixer?"
My reply- "Uh...cuz my liver already hates me enough?"HH's liver to HH "You're f**king killing me!"
Just remember HH, nobody likes a quiter.

Jrocket
11-25-2002, 05:32 PM
disco_charger:
Good Drunk snack
Cottage Cheese swimming in Mrs. Butterworth Syrup.Holy shit,are you ****ing crazy? Thats gross beyond belief...... eek!

beached1
11-25-2002, 08:26 PM
You guys are crazy. They best thing to eat when you are drunk are Super Tacos from Jack in the Crack.
.... That is unless there isn't a In-N-Out anywhere to be found. But they aren't 24 hrs so Spunk in the Crack wins everytime.

Infomaniac
11-25-2002, 08:35 PM
beached1:
You guys are crazy. They best thing to eat when you are drunk are Super Tacos from Jack in the crack.Watch ya eatin there Rodney?

Havasu Hangin'
11-25-2002, 08:51 PM
beached1:
You guys are crazy. They best thing to eat when you are drunk are Super Tacos from Jack in the Crack.
.... That is unless there isn't a In-N-Out anywhere to be found. But they aren't 24 hrs so Spunk in the Crack wins everytime.Actually...that's very true. Of course, when I lived in Fountain Valley, I was kinda partial to Tommy's...
Do you guys remember El Paso Cantina in Long Beach? We used to call it "El Pass Out"...
Anyway, we used to go every Sunday night for dollar drinks. My drink of choice was a Long Island Iced Tea with no sweet & sour. Essentially, the bartender there (Hugh- white flat top) used to make a pure alcohol Iced Tea...with a "splash" of Coke for color. It cost me $1...and I tipped him $4...after about 4 of those, I was holding up the wall.
It was then onto our condo complex with talent in tow...we would dump a full bottle of Mr. Bubble in the Jacuzzi (I guess I was a jet guy at heart)...the bubbles were three feet high...naked hijinx ensued...
I remember one time...I was soooo twisted sister, and kicking it in the "bubble castle" with a groupie, when I looked up to see someone walking their dog- so I ducked for cover. Then I thought to myself, "self...why is someone walking their dog at 4AM?"...
...oh...it's the police. I then did the walk of shame to my clothes pile on the other side of the pool...
Ahhh...the good old days...
[ November 25, 2002, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

beached1
11-25-2002, 08:54 PM
Infomaniac:
Watch ya eatin there Rodney?An 8 ball if he's like all the other child stars of the 70's.

lghtnin33
11-25-2002, 09:20 PM
do you guys cook with mesquite wood at all? and if so where do you get it?

disco_charger
11-25-2002, 10:40 PM
I've never cooked my cottage cheese and syrup, however, I'm not above trying it... wink

disco_charger
11-25-2002, 10:42 PM
OK, one more secret. Pork chops... before you put them on the grill, put Trader Joe's Hot Sweet mustard on both sides. Put the grill on medium high heat on one side and leave the other side unlit. Put the pork chops on the unlit side. The mustard carmelizes. Good stuff!
Disco
[ November 25, 2002, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: disco_charger ]

Screaming Pete
11-26-2002, 01:23 PM
78, Im with you on the Bombay, so here are two of my favorite ...Bombay Gin, Ice..thats it don't mess it up any more unless you haven't had lunch and need a salad then put in an olive...my second one is for the ladies for desert eat lots of pinaple, you are what you eat and that makes for some good eat'n later :D

AZKC
11-26-2002, 01:45 PM
lghtnin33:
do you guys cook with mesquite wood at all? and if so where do you get it?Mesquite is everywhere here in Tucson head out of town or go trim yours or neighbors tree. They grow fast and make good shade. And of course great charcoal :cool:
KC