PDA

View Full Version : Perfect for hbjet, pull that motor and prove it.

Blown 472
10-02-2003, 07:01 AM
OK--you guys will be the first to hear this one. HOT ROD is throwing the first-ever Pump Gas Drags in 2004, and we think it's the least limiting, most legit street-car shootout yet. No trailers allowed! Complete rules will be posted at hotrod.com in a few weeks, and they will be printed in the January issue of the magazine. So don't take this as official, but here's the gist of it:
- Race will probably be sometime in May in Memphis
- All years, makes, and models are allowed. No dragsters or flopper bodies, and only '34-and-older may be fenderless.
- No limits on weight or cubic inch or heads or induction
- Must be street legal, registered, insured
- Full interiors required
- Entire event must be run on one set of four DOT-legal tires of your choice
- Here's the catch: All cars must be presented for tech with empty gas tanks. HOT ROD will supply 15 gallons of 93-octane unleaded pump gas. No other fuel source or additives are allowed, and we will tech the fuel after the race.
- All competitors will meet at Comp Cams for tech and will be impounded for the night. In the morning, the cars must follow the Comp Cams lead van at least 30 miles to the track and may not drop behind the chase van for any reason. No trailers are allowed to follow the cars and no trailers or support vehicles will be allowed at the track. All the people and equipment you need must be in the car.
- At the track, there's 30 minutes of cool-down. Each car will make three passes down the track, and at the end of the day, the car with the quickest average e.t. wins.
- There will also be awards for Most Legit 11-second car, 10-second car, and so on.
- It's free to enter, but HOT ROD and Comp Cams will select only 50 cars to participate, like an invitational. Entry forms will be in the January HOT ROD, and must be submitted along with photos of the car, the engine, and the interior. Proof of e.t. is also suggested. Entries will be due around the end of the year and cars will be announced around the end of January.
- Every car that passes tech will get a photo in HOT ROD.
Once again, understand that these are not the official rules, and they are not complete. But close enough for you to start thinking about it. Enter as many good Mopars as you can and I promise to make sure they have a good showing. Bring it!

flat broke
10-02-2003, 07:21 AM
Blown,
I don't have a beef with ya, but damn, you gotta get some more time in the garage instead of in front of the computer. Do you wan't to know what the real reason for this contest is... Content for Hot Rod. They'll get thousands of entries with all of the specs on the cars, photos etc. They can then pick the 50 they want to run for the race (gonna be a builders showcase) and then file the other submissions in the Readers rides file and go back through them when they need content for the 1-2 page quick jobs. No prospecting required.
In regard to pulling HBs motor for this event, since it is ET based, the motor is only half of the battle as you know. Randy has never claimed to be a drag car builder, and in a no holds barred on CI and induction contest, his motor is small. There will be 700ci nitrous motors on hand to be sure and honestly what does running HBs motor against a setup like that prove? I could go buy a Teague 1000, strip the marine hardware and put it in a pinto set up for the quarter and compete, but once again what is the point. I know that one of the basises of your arguments is that Randy's motor doesn't pull what is claimed and by putting it in a car you can prove that. I could see if you were going to pick one of the cars that claimed similar HP numbers then negotiate an engine swap to run Randy's motor in place of the the orriginal motor and observe the MPH and ET results, but I don't think thats what you were getting at.
Honestly, you have a couple nice projects of your own. Why not utilize the energy you spend capping on Randy to dial in those setups. Or if you are really hell bent on disproving Randy's HP numbers, maybe you could pay Dave to build you the same exact motor, have him dyno it at Westech, then you could dyno it at another shop to see what ya get. Negotiate a free set of blower pistons in the deal and then when you're done with your test, you could swap the pistons, slap on a huffer and have a nice blown motor for your next boat project.
The bottom line, as of late you have gone out of your way to perpetually antagonize HB over his engine. You've said your piece, you don't believe its legit and thats all there is to it. No go back to posting usefull information and helpin out the ford and mopar guys instead of picking a scab that only you are interested in at this point.
Thanks and good luck with the Dart,
Chris

hboldno7
10-02-2003, 07:25 AM
Hey Blown, maybe you should go post this on hotrod.com or maybe on some site where it belongs.

Blown 472
10-02-2003, 07:30 AM
flat broke:
Blown,
I don't have a beef with ya, but damn, you gotta get some more time in the garage instead of in front of the computer. Do you wan't to know what the real reason for this contest is... Content for Hot Rod. They'll get thousands of entries with all of the specs on the cars, photos etc. They can then pick the 50 they want to run for the race (gonna be a builders showcase) and then file the other submissions in the Readers rides file and go back through them when they need content for the 1-2 page quick jobs. No prospecting required.
In regard to pulling HBs motor for this event, since it is ET based, the motor is only half of the battle as you know. Randy has never claimed to be a drag car builder, and in a no holds barred on CI and induction contest, his motor is small. There will be 700ci nitrous motors on hand to be sure and honestly what does running HBs motor against a setup like that prove? I could go buy a Teague 1000, strip the marine hardware and put it in a pinto set up for the quarter and compete, but once again what is the point. I know that one of the basises of your arguments is that Randy's motor doesn't pull what is claimed and by putting it in a car you can prove that. I could see if you were going to pick one of the cars that claimed similar HP numbers then negotiate an engine swap to run Randy's motor in place of the the orriginal motor and observe the MPH and ET results, but I don't think thats what you were getting at.
Honestly, you have a couple nice projects of your own. Why not utilize the energy you spend capping on Randy to dial in those setups. Or if you are really hell bent on disproving Randy's HP numbers, maybe you could pay Dave to build you the same exact motor, have him dyno it at Westech, then you could dyno it at another shop to see what ya get. Negotiate a free set of blower pistons in the deal and then when you're done with your test, you could swap the pistons, slap on a huffer and have a nice blown motor for your next boat project.
The bottom line, as of late you have gone out of your way to perpetually antagonize HB over his engine. You've said your piece, you don't believe its legit and thats all there is to it. No go back to posting usefull information and helpin out the ford and mopar guys instead of picking a scab that only you are interested in at this point.
Thanks and good luck with the Dart,
Chris Sheesh, it was all in fun, not starting anything, just having fun, notice the smiley things?? I am done fighting with him bout that, just poking some fun thats all nothing more nothing less. :D :D :D

SCUBA STEVE
10-02-2003, 07:31 AM
hboldno7:
Hey Blown, maybe you should go post this on hotrod.com or maybe on some site where it belongs. Blown can post what ever he wants. Just as long as he doesnt change his avatar!! :D :cool:

hboldno7
10-02-2003, 07:34 AM
SCUBA STEVE:
hboldno7:
Hey Blown, maybe you should go post this on hotrod.com or maybe on some site where it belongs. Blown can post what ever he wants. Just as long as he doesnt change his avatar!! :D :cool: You right scuba, what the hell am I talkin about. :D

Infomaniac
10-02-2003, 11:19 AM
Cool Stuff MAybe I will put the Cougar engine in my S-10 :D

Itsahobby
10-02-2003, 11:24 AM
I'd fly to memphis to see that!! boxed
Hobby
Infomaniac:
Cool Stuff MAybe I will put the Cougar engine in my S-10 :D

Blown 472
10-02-2003, 11:24 AM
Infomaniac:
Cool Stuff MAybe I will put the Cougar engine in my S-10 :D Now that would kick ass.