PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day 2003

RiverKitty
05-26-2003, 03:10 AM
Freedom is never free. May we remember this day dedicated to the many American Soldiers who have loyally served in the armed forces of the United States of America....lest we never forget.
http://www.bobbyhayden.com/2Reflections.jpg
The Wall
I walked along that long black wall, with names as far as I could see.
Friends I knew in childhood now etched in memories.
I've touched their names so many times, remembered them with love.
I walk along, the rain pours down, tears from heaven above.
I watch a Vet, deep in thought, pain across his face.
He walks a mother to the wall; he's taken his friend's place.
She reaches out to touch a name, the one that was her son.
They pause together in the rain, their memories a bond.
The men who fought, the men who died, their names for all to see
Their lives so brief, fallen short, a page in history.
We can't forget what they had done, so many years ago.
Sacrifices they have made the bravery they showed.
I walked along that long black wall, crying in the rain.
For all those men who've touched our lives, we'll never see again.
28 May 2000 ©Copyright 1999, Catherine Anne McNeill, All Rights Reserved
http://www.bobbyhayden.com/1TheWall.JPG
Forever Grateful, Never Forgotten, Peace & God Bless ~RiverKitty

JetBoatRich
05-26-2003, 06:11 AM
Thank you RK, everyone needs to remember why we celebrate this day.

Jbb
05-26-2003, 06:11 AM
Indeed...!

spectratoad
05-26-2003, 06:18 AM
I went to see the wall in DC last year. All I can say is WOW! and thanks to all the families that have given the ultimate sacrifice for this country and also to those who have not died but have given time and spirit.
We had our beach at the lake covered with about 50 American Flags. The little 12 x 17 inch. They were all stuck in the ground and flapping in the breeze. :D

HammerDown
05-26-2003, 06:23 AM
Well done RK...for sure theres a place in my Heart for those that gave there lives and serve for this Great Country.

beached 1
05-26-2003, 07:44 AM
That was awesome RK.

lovemyultra
05-26-2003, 07:46 AM
My family salutes all involved THANK YOU

MagicMtnDan
05-26-2003, 08:16 AM
God bless everyone who has served this country in times of war and peace so that the USA can remain free.
Special tribute to those who were injured and killed - they paid the ultimate sacrifice enabling all of us to talk about and enjoy something we take for granted.
God bless America.
Happy Memorial Day everyone and thanks RK!

wsuwrhr
05-26-2003, 08:51 AM
Yes Maam,
Luckily I was of the age that I missed the draft for Vietnam by a long shot. I am 32. My Dad served though. He got back after I was born.
I was 18-19 when Desert Storm was started, I was half wanting to enlist, and half scared shitless that I may HAVE to go.
I have the utmost respect for someone who puts their life on the line to protect my freedoms. I really pisses me off when I hear people talk shit about this country, if we didn't fight for our freedoms those shitheads wouldn't even have a voice.
Amen to our brothers, sister, Dads, and Moms, defending our freedoms today and every day.
Brian

wsuwrhr
05-26-2003, 09:59 AM
I am good friends with our security guard at work.
He landed on the beach in Normandy, told me about it once. Pretty chilling to listen to him talk about it.
He lost most of his frends from his company. Sad.
When he got home his mother was pretty pissed, he got two tatoo's when he was gone. he said "Mom, I came home with two bullet holes in me, and you haven't said a word about that." Subject drooped, he never heard about the tatoo's again.
Anyway, pretty cool story, pretty cool old man. Fiesty ****er, ahaha. He calls anyone comming into the plant "Turkeys."
Just don't do any burnouts or wheelies in the parking lot, ha gets PISSED. I was young once. haha.

Zuumer
05-26-2003, 05:04 PM
RK,
I and a lot of others were fortunate to return from our country's conflicts/wars. Many of us left behind fallen friends who's names are now on The Wall. For those unable to thank you for remembering......I thank you for all of us.
God bless America and those who gave their lives to keep us free.
Ron

manson
05-26-2003, 05:08 PM
standing ovation (clap, clap)

RiverReady2
05-26-2003, 05:08 PM
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

mike37
05-26-2003, 07:45 PM
Dame kitty that maid me tear up
My dad was in the Philippines he came home safe but a lot of his friendÂ’s didnÂ’t
God bless them all

HDGRL
05-27-2003, 07:24 AM
My father's name is on the wall. I saw it about 14 years ago. I never met him, he was shot down in a helicopter when I was a year old. Growing up my mother never had anything nice to say about him and I had never even seen a picture.
When I moved to Mass a few years ago, it just so happened that my son's father worked with a woman who knew a woman who was friends with my father. She told him they had been looking for me for years. He didn't tell me about this and on Memorial Day that year a woman walked into the bar I was working and said she had something for me and handed me a picture of a very handsome man. She then told me that it was my father. It was nice to finally have some kind of connection. She told me some nice things about him and where he was buried, which was about 5 minutes from where I was living.
Even though I never got to meet him, I am proud of him for the courage he had. I knew there had to be something good about him besides the terrible things my mother told me. He earned a lot of medals while in Vietnam including the purple heart.
During this war time I have thought a lot about what my father went through and my thoughts and prayers were with all of the soldiers and will continue to be until we are out of Iraq for good.

Charley
05-27-2003, 08:37 AM
God Bless those who have PAID the ultimate price for all of our freedoms...may the people that don't appreciate those freedoms or the people that died preserving them end up getting deported
[ May 27, 2003, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Charley ]