PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 100 mph life jackets, question.

Daytona19
07-06-2003, 03:52 AM
I am trying to find some good protection for my wife & I but dont want to spend 400.00 a jacket as lifeline wants for a nice recreational jacket with good features. I am not racing but wanted to have the leg straps & so on to make sure we are protected, any advise??? I would consider used also.

Sangster
07-06-2003, 04:31 AM
Try SRP (http://www.securityrace.com/lifejacket.htm) :D :D :D

Jungle Boy
07-06-2003, 06:59 AM
There's some used one on www.jetboatracing.com (http://www.jetboatracing.com) in their buy/sell ads.

superdave013
07-06-2003, 10:10 AM
So your saying that your wife and your lifes are not worth 400 bucks??

wsuwrhr
07-06-2003, 02:28 PM
I fel the same way, how much is your boat worth?
How many gallons of gas do you burn a weekend?
As a motorcyclist, I don't understand how you can put a price on safety gear.
Brian

SK48
07-06-2003, 03:55 PM
Lifeline's "recreational" jackets start at $290.00. They are called the High Performance Jacket, or Poker Run Jacket. This jacket is made of the same material as the racing jackets, but the floatation is different. Check out their website at www.lifelinejackets.com. (http://www.lifelinejackets.com.) Or call my wife, Lifeline Lisa, tomarrow at work. The number is (928) 669-9241. The phones are answered from 8:00 am to 4:30, PST. She'll be more than happy to send you a catalog.

Daytona19
07-06-2003, 05:00 PM
No dammit guys I am NOT saying my life is not worth 400.00 bucks. I am trying to get my wife to buy in on the idea of the lifeline jacket but she just dont see it. I spend cash like a drunken sailor buy she is the consertive one. Hell I paid 800.00 bucks each for my road bike helmets and dont blink on any safty equipment but I have spent a fair amount this year on boating and she wants it to stop. Thanks for the opnions all are apprecaited.

wsuwrhr
07-06-2003, 06:52 PM
OK Im sorry.
Brian

Big Proppa
07-06-2003, 08:14 PM
I have a lifeline parachute jacket that I would sell you for 350.00 - that saves ya 50 bucks and has everything you would every need to keep your wife safe. Even comes with a carrying case.

Daytona19
07-07-2003, 12:01 PM
Sk48 tell Lisa I just hooked up on some SRP capsule jackets that were ordered and when they came they were the incorrect type, so Im buying them used if you want to say but they are unworn. Im giving 250.00 shipped to the house so I believe thats fair and good protection at the same time. Thanks for the comments & help.

Lifeline Lisa
07-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Eventhough I am not happy that you went with the competition, I am glad you and your wife will be vested up. Have a fun, safe summer and if you need any other safety gear, give me a call.

superdave013
07-07-2003, 12:41 PM
Hey Dayton19, post a pic of those when you get them. I've never seen the SRP jackets. I know the ones that SK48 was talking about are real nice. I'ed like to check out the others to though.
I have a Lifeline chute jacket and was also thinking about getting one of their poker run style ones. The chute deal is great for racing but is just to big and bulky for lake use.
Good to hear you 2 got into some saftygear.
A guy fliped his flatbottom at the Needles V Drive bash and let me tell you. He did have a vest on and it was a good thing. He broke some ribs and had one puncture his lung. I don't think he would have been swimming to well like that.

stump
07-07-2003, 03:21 PM
Lifeline Lisa I'm not trying to be a dumbass but Are the Lifeline jackets Coast Guard approved? No where in your literature on your website says anything about it.I was just wondering.

Daytona19
07-07-2003, 05:01 PM
Lisa I will look you up if needed sorry to go the other way but saving the 330.00 right now and the safty issue will be resolved in one shot and my wife will snuggle up once again. We are new to boating and to get tooled up is costly if your doing it right and I am trying to please myself and her (tough job,LOL) Thanks again.

Daytona19
07-07-2003, 05:03 PM
These are the jacket Im talking about. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/523/262capsule2.jpg

Seadog
07-07-2003, 06:03 PM
Try places like Bass Pro and Cabelas. They have some good buys on jackets and sometimes have them on clearance. My wife picked up a 100 mph jacket for $30 a few years ago that she loves. When we pull toys, most of the kids wear it.

Rexone
07-07-2003, 09:39 PM
I'm not sure what you get for $30 but nice ski vests cost more I think. I think if I'm gonna impact the water at 100+ I'll just stick to my Lifeline. Don't need the money that bad. Just my .02

Lifeline Lisa
07-08-2003, 08:45 AM
Good morning guys. Lifeline jackets used to be approved by the Coast Guard a long time ago, because they had the specs on the canvas that was used to make the jackets. When Bill found the higher quality Cordura nylon, the Coast Guard did not have the specs on the material, but the material was put thru a bunch on tests with the racing associations and has passed all of their qualifications. The High Performance jackets are made of this same 1000 point cordura nylon that our racing jackets are made out of, therefore, they will not tear off your body if you are pitched into the water, if they are being worn properly. I have only had a few boaters call me concerning Coast Guard problems. The way to get around it, ironically, is to have sometype of Coast Guard approved "jacket" in the watercraft (the orange, wrap around your neck kind)will suffice. I sell many of these jackets to the "Poker Run" crowd and have not had any problems with the Coast Guard yet. If the officer checking out the safety equipment in a boat would just look at the jacket, he could see the quality of it compared to your typical ski vest.

Seadog
07-08-2003, 08:46 AM
For $30, we got a 100 mph rated vest, 5-buckle with neck brace. This was several years ago at the Bass Pro outlet center. It does not have the leg straps. Some of the bass boats really need protection of this caliber. While looking for something else, I checked Bass Pro and Cabelas and did not see anything that might fit the bill. I have a nice Stearns three buckle that is probably good for 60-75 mph that Cabelas had for $90.

Lifeline Lisa
07-08-2003, 09:10 AM
Believe it or not, we sell our High Performance Jackets to alot of Bass Fishermen too. Many of the tournaments they put on include Slalom racing and the fishermen I have sold the jackets to want a higher quality vest for this event. Our High Performance Jackets include a zippered pocket on the front chest panel, which is a big convenience for fishermen, and they like the comfort of the jacket.
Just a note concerning leg straps. All of our life jackets, except for the Capsule Pantsjacket, have leg straps. The reason being is if you are pitched into the water and someone comes to pull you out, more than likely they will grab the jacket you are wearing in the shoulder area. It is real easy to slip out of a jacket, especially if you are unconsious, if you are grabbed that way. The leg straps insure that the jacket will stay on. That is why I have sewn leg straps into my 9 year old daughters ski vests and why I always wear mine when Richard and I are playing in the Beismeyer.

superdave013
07-08-2003, 09:26 AM
Lifeline Lisa:
Good morning guys. Lifeline jackets used to be approved by the Coast Guard a long time ago, because they had the specs on the canvas that was used to make the jackets. When Bill found the higher quality Cordura nylon, the Coast Guard did not have the specs on the material, but the material was put thru a bunch on tests with the racing associations and has passed all of their qualifications. The High Performance jackets are made of this same 1000 point cordura nylon that our racing jackets are made out of, therefore, they will not tear off your body if you are pitched into the water, if they are being worn properly. I have only had a few boaters call me concerning Coast Guard problems. The way to get around it, ironically, is to have sometype of Coast Guard approved "jacket" in the watercraft (the orange, wrap around your neck kind)will suffice. I sell many of these jackets to the "Poker Run" crowd and have not had any problems with the Coast Guard yet. If the officer checking out the safety equipment in a boat would just look at the jacket, he could see the quality of it compared to your typical ski vest. Ok Lisa, a task for you now. Get the coast guard the specs so you can get them approved.
I understand what you are saying but any hard nose cop (and we know they are out there) will want to see the approval.
I've been ragged on about my chute jacket before. LOL, I pulled out a slimmy old orange deal and he let me go!
It would be nice if you got the approval before I place my order. :)

Lifeline Lisa
07-08-2003, 11:50 AM
I understand. I will talk to the boss man, again, and see what he says.

Havasu Hangin'
07-08-2003, 11:59 AM
Ok- Task # 2:
Offer a "Hot Boat Forum Special" on Poker Run vests (while you're at it)....
XL, please.

Big Proppa
07-08-2003, 12:19 PM
I'm with HH - could you please talk to the boss regarding a ***boat special - I need one also.

Daytona19
07-08-2003, 04:20 PM
I tell ya what Lisa, :D if a hot boat "special" can be done Im in on that deal!! I will pass on the SRP's and get lifeline in the color choice I wanted in the fist place. Let us know!!!

Havasu Hangin'
07-08-2003, 04:51 PM
Well, by the looks of this thread (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20808&perpage=30&highlight=lifeline%20group&pagenumber=1), SRP has offered discounts for forum members...
The question is, Lisa...
...are we important enough to you guys to give us a discount (my credit card is standing by)?
[ July 08, 2003, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

blownmoney
07-08-2003, 05:59 PM
lisa , if i wanted to order one of your poker run edition jackets with checkers what am i looking at per vest?..also in another message i heard the flotation was different?..what does that mean?..does it mean that the vest wouldn't roll you on to your back if knocked unconsious?..thanks for any info?

396_Z
07-08-2003, 07:41 PM
I'm in for two jackets if we can get a forum special.
Only problem is I won't be ready until late aug so could we get a window to order in? Say by the end of Aug?

DogHouse
07-08-2003, 08:10 PM
Here's another low cost ($90 a piece) option. I picked up four of these Stearns jackets from West Marine to have on hand for passengers that want some protection when hot rodding around. Not to say they're anywhere near the protection of a real race vest, but they are significantly better than ski vests and rated for 100 mph impact. They're intended for the fast bass crowd.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/313life_jacket-med.jpg
Of course I'd love to have a whole set of Lifelines but I'm too busy spending money on the engine to make the boat go faster! :D
-brian

Seadog
07-09-2003, 01:43 PM
Cabela's has that same jacket for $10 less and i noticed another three buckle (Pro 100?) that is on sale for $50. It has the leg straps and one place says it is strength tested at 100 mph and another says 50 mph, but from what I read, I would say the 100 mph rating is correct.
[ July 09, 2003, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Seadog ]

Lifeline Lisa
07-09-2003, 02:14 PM
I have discussed the previous posts and viewed Offshore Only's forum deal (dated 2002) with the owner, my boss. At this time, Lifeline is not offering discounts on our equipment. We tried this last year too, at the same time of the OSO posts, and it turned into a huge mess. This does not mean we think our customer base in not important (from Havau Hangin's previous post). All past, present and future customers are important. That is why we build quality lifejackets. Because, we do care. Each jacket is custom made, with your color choices. The checkers on the Baja style jackets are sewn, one by one, it is not a piece of material that has black silk screened onto it. The flames on our "flamed bouyant" jacket are top stitched onto the material, again not cheesy silk screening. It takes alot of hard work to manufacture just one jacket. If anyone is still interested, please contact me and I will be more than happy to send out catalogs or answer any other questions. In the meantime, safe boating, and whether it is a Lifeline or skivest, please vest up.

blownmoney
07-09-2003, 02:15 PM
heck this place has those same stearn jackets for 62.00 bucks..http://www.fishingworld.com/BrannansBass/Details.tmpl?ID=10306608525611103&Cart=10346526085958309... has alota nice features with pockets neck collar..100mph rating...not bad for 62.00... and uscg approved!