PDA

View Full Version : Tile hook ups in LAS VEGAS????

scarabrick2
03-21-2006, 10:17 AM
I'm looking to get some flooring done in my house and need a good price on Tile (16"-18"). Also,maybe a licenced installer. Can anybody tell me what is better, ceramic or porcelain tile? I want a 3/16 grout line and it will go over the vinyl flooring.. I can have the vinyl remover but one guy said he can lay over it if its still glued down good. Any insite?
Rick

Mrs.HLB1
03-21-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm looking to get some flooring done in my house and need a good price on Tile (16"-18"). Also,maybe a licenced installer. Can anybody tell me what is better, ceramic or porcelain tile? I want a 3/16 grout line and it will go over the vinyl flooring.. I can have the vinyl remover but one guy said he can lay over it if its still glued down good. Any insite?
Rick
Hi there.. I don't have anybody to give you in Vegas. But we got 18" Porcelain put in. Our vinyl floor was removed. We were told the Porcelain is better. If you drop something and it leaves a crack you can't really tell it is there. The color is thru out the tile. I believe the ceramic, if it gets chipped you will be able to see the difference in color. Just my .02
Good luck!
Mrs.HLB

THATJEFFGUY
03-21-2006, 01:38 PM
I just had tike done at my place. I went with 18x18 porcelain, it's alot more durbale than ceramic. I left my linoleum down and was told it actually gives a better surface to lay the tile on, as long as it's still glued down and not coming up anywhere. Also, I would suggest laying the tile onn diagonal, it looks much better. Go thru a tile guy to buy your tile, he will get a better deal (contractor price) than you will at a tile place. I don't have a tile guy in Vegas either....well, unless you wanna pay his travel from So CA and hotel/strip club expenses. :D

WET HULL
03-21-2006, 02:39 PM
I am a licensed tile contractor, but to go to vegas is not a option for me or is it? Answers for your questions: Go with porcelain. Its harder and if it does chip then it wont be as noticeable, but it might be sharp so save a few tiles so they can be replaced need be. Small grount joints are good. Less work for you in the long end. Buy good quality tile, cheap stuff is not always the same size making grout joints look like crap. Going over vinyl for me is a big no-no. I dont trust it at all. It is never on good enouph. Plus it is easy to take off. Peel the top layer and then use a paint roller to spread floor stripper over the glue cardboard looking areas and then scrape off. If you do keep it, take a heavy grit sandpaper and rouph it up. About the same amount of work in the long end. Make sure you have them price into the contract to seal if it not already included. My moto is do it right the first time, because you are spending alot of money on this. Let me know if you have any more questions.

vegasriverjunkie
03-21-2006, 02:45 PM
I have an account with Daltile and probably get better pricing than most. They have a showroom at Sunset by Valley View. Get a tile code and I can find out what my cost would be. Depending on the job, I could see if my tilesetter wouldn't mind doing a side job for me also. :)

scarabrick2
03-22-2006, 06:52 AM
I'll go over there this week and Thanks!!
The job is small 450 ft. kitchen,laun,hall,2 bath,entry.
Have you heard of baja tile in that same area?
I work at a strip hotel and they said I could get a good price at patrosians, hows the tile over there?
Thanks
Rick