PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Good River Recipies

Trailer Park Casanova
07-21-2003, 07:04 PM
A lot of sad news on this board today, and a lot of not very nice people taking cheap shots at others,, I think I'll post something different:
Here's a couple of things that my kids have come to love when we go to the River. They seem simple,, but are really very good:
When I went into the Marines, I spent my first year in Diesel Mechanics/Heavy Equipment school, only to be handed a rifle and sent to Viet Nam.
In Viet Nam, I served with some Korean Marines and they taught me several fantastic and simple things to cook:
1. Fried Panco Shrimp
Remember sounds simple, but is very good:
12 to 16 count per Lb shrimp. Raw Saltwater (not freshwater shrimp) pealed and deVeined
Flour
Beaten eggs in a bowl
Panco Type bread crumbs you buy in a package in the Asian section of your market, or a Asian Market.
No other type of bread crumb will do, it has to PANCO.
Coat the shrimp in the flour, then in the egg, then coat with the PANCO bread crumbs and deep fry till golden.
This isn't Tempura shrimp,, it's much different and your friends will think you're a genius.
Also, Saigon Tri Tip:
This recipe dates to the French Occupation of Viet Nam
I use a needeler I bought from northern farm equipment and needle Tri Tip from Costco + trim all the fat and gristle.
Needel the tri tip, then soak overnight or longer submerged in olive oil, fresh garlic and rosemary.
Dri it, then roll it in margarita salt, then slowly cook it over a flame, or bake it in the oven at 325.
Doesn't sound like much, but these two items are fantastic, and real easy to prepair.

NorCal Gameshow
07-21-2003, 07:35 PM
TPC, what is a needler, is it a tenderizer?
keep the recipes coming.... food is good :D

Trailer Park Casanova
07-21-2003, 07:46 PM
I'll get the web address and part number tomorrow and post it.
It's about a 5 inch long by three inch deep handle that when pressed against the meat, lots of needles come out and pearce it clear through..
Works great for tri tip, almost a must have, then after cooking, you carve the tri tip against the grain.
Seems simple,, works great.
Nice kitchen tool, sturdy and inexpensive.

NorCal Gameshow
07-21-2003, 07:53 PM
tri-tip is the best,cook it right and you'll be a hero...

JetBoatRich
07-22-2003, 04:41 AM
Invite Eric, he brings out the best food :D
Everytime he has showed up with enough for the whole group and can not believe how good it is :D
Here is the Cook now
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/78MVC-070L-med.JPG
[ July 22, 2003, 05:43 AM: Message edited by: JetBoatRich ]

Waldo
07-22-2003, 10:24 AM
BBQ'd Chicken is the norm on one of the night. The best part is my beer-boiled potatoes.
Beer-Boiled Potatoes:
* 5-10 potatoes, depending on the # of eaters
* 1 Onion, cut thickly
* 1 Green Pepper, cut thickly
* 1 Red Pepper, cut thickly
* Salt & Pepa
* Tbsp of Garlic
* Few drops of oil
* 1 full can of Beer of your choice
Place everything in an aluminum foil bag and set on BBQ for about 25-30 minutes. Check periodically.
A bonus is when you have left overs the next morning. Include these with your egg burritoes and Jose-OJ's and you are good to go!
Enjoy.
I'm hungry :D

Trailer Park Casanova
07-22-2003, 04:03 PM
Trailer Park Casanova:
I'll get the web address and part number tomorrow and post it.
Nice kitchen tool, sturdy and inexpensive. Nope,, they don't sell it anymore.
I'll try and find one elsewhere.

NorCal Gameshow
07-22-2003, 04:13 PM
thanks for lookin', it seems like something i could use when i fire this up :D http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/225P1010012-thumb.JPG

mmered8299
07-22-2003, 06:36 PM
If you don't have a Dutch Oven, buy one the next time you drive by the camping store. There are many great recipes but I use this one for deserts every time we go camping.
Line the inside of your Oven in foil. Add 2 cans of cherries and two cans of peaches. Dump in some yellow cake mix. Spread it around evenly. Then top it off with some butter. Bake it for about 30min. Its easy and the kids love it!!! Why does food taste better when your camping?

topless
07-22-2003, 06:41 PM
It tastes better because you don't have a choice!!!!!

C-2
07-22-2003, 08:11 PM
A killer marinade at the river or home is Mike's Hard Lemonade.
Throw that on some of the Carne Asada you picked up from the carniceria, add the juice of two lemons, garlic powder, accent, salt and pepper and man o' man, you be the man! It adds a great citrus taste. Very few people that have tasted it ever go back to regular carne.
Another quick and killer recipe is blackened catfish. Make some of Emeril's "Essence" from scratch and drench both sides of the fillet with it. Heat a frying pan; add some safflower oil (butter if you wanna live large). THE PAN MUST BE HOT! You know it's the right temp when the pan starts smoking. Throw in the fillets until they are a solid black on both sides and you are done. The fish is not burned…it’s only the spices that are blackened. People will be amazed; I’m always amazed at how easy it was! eek! eek!
Cookin at the riv....oh yeah, bring it on. How many other people bring three grills with them when they stay at the Nautical (or any other hotel at the river)? :D
Let’s here some more!

mtndewdrops
07-22-2003, 08:44 PM
PANCO is #1 for breaded anything...
C-2 My wife won't want to waste any of those Hard Lemonades, but maybe if I hide one...
BTW, I am told you can buy Mike's at Costco in the 24 pk of plastic bottles. :cool: