PDA

View Full Version : Boat Registration in Nevada

220EagleXp
07-08-2003, 02:51 PM
My inlaws live in nevada and I am thinking about registering my boat there. If I do so will I get out of paying the unsecured property tax that I currently pay in orange county. The boat most likely will still be stored in orange county. If orange county finds out can they start assesing taxes or will it be out of their hands because the boat is registered to a valid nevada address. Any help will be appreciated.

rvrkaosI
07-08-2003, 03:17 PM
220EagleXp:
My inlaws live in nevada and I am thinking about registering my boat there. If I do so will I get out of paying the unsecured property tax that I currently pay in orange county. The boat most likely will still be stored in orange county. If orange county finds out can they start assesing taxes or will it be out of their hands because the boat is registered to a valid nevada address. Any help will be appreciated. I had my Ultra registered in Nevada to an address in L.V. and as an out of state address. Either way, California does not care about the property tax as long as the trailer is registered in california. The trailer has to match the state that you have your vehicle registered too. Though many police officers don't look upon to pull you over for the plates, it is the law. If you should choose to register as an out of state nevada licensure, it a bit more that a resident. Much like arizona. I register my current boat in arizona for a C note, though if I had a resident address, it would be 25 bucks. oh well, at least no luxury tax~!

UltraLucky
07-08-2003, 05:41 PM
I have my current boat registered in Nevada. No drama, just registerd as out of state all paper work and title info shows my current addreess in Calif. And no calif state property tax. Trailer is registerd in Calif. I have heard some people have problems if they have a lender involed.

Moneypitt
07-08-2003, 11:30 PM
One of my boats, and it's trailer are registered in Idaho, at the time the trailer was 35 bucks for ten years! The boat is $20 yearly, but NO penalty for late renewal, even a couple of years. The trick is in your answer to the officer questioning the out of state reg issue. I have a ligit address there, and when ask, say that the boat is in Idaho more than Cal. Where do I live? both states. Last time in Idaho? Last week. When am I going back? next week...It's all in what you say, and of course how you say it!!..Moneypitt

Essex502
07-09-2003, 07:12 AM
Geez guys...this issue has been discussed over and over...California law allows counties to assess and collect property tax on any personal property of a resident in said county for boats registered ANYWHERE if the boat is predominantly located in same county. The mere fact of registering it out of state does NOTHING to relieve you of paying the tax bill when OC sends it to you. See other threads on this site.
The U.S. Coast Guard requires boat owners to register the boat in the state where it is predominantly used. For the river or Havasu, that COULD be either CA or AZ. For Mead - AZ or NV. The California laws state that the boat must be out of CA on January 1 of the taxable year and stored or moored outside of CA more than 50% of the year. Be prepared to prove it of the county can charge you with tax fraud and put a lien on any personal property you own including you house.
[ July 09, 2003, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Essex502 ]