PDA

View Full Version : ? for those with bigger boats.

DEEZ NUTTS
06-02-2003, 07:32 PM
Those of you with 27-29' vees. How tall is your set up while on the trailer? I am meeting with an architect later this week about new house plans. I need to know if I can get away with an 8' high garage door or not. I will be stepping up to the next boat while living in this house. Thank you.

jlnorthrup122
06-02-2003, 07:43 PM
As an expeirienced draftsman (Gave that shit up) You will most definatly get away with an 8' door probply even get away with a 7' door. A couple of my buddies built those tall ass chevs with the 44"s on em and they get by with an 8' door with clearance to spare so 8' will definatly work.

TRG
06-02-2003, 07:45 PM
if you are steppin' up to an ocean liner at the river,... why dont you step-up and install a 12' roll-up. i imagine the coin diff. would be min.
i'll never have to worry about that! my set-up is about 5' on thet railer. good luck

DEEZ NUTTS
06-02-2003, 07:53 PM
Toddnjuzz, I catch what you are saying, but 95% of my boating is on Powell and we camp out of it. I see the river maybe 1 time over the summer. I have to maintain a neighborhood friendly look to the house so the rollup is out.

TRG
06-02-2003, 08:01 PM
you'd be amazed at what a few flowers would do to dress up the ol' roll-up!!!lol
im catchin' whatcher puttin' down DEEZ!!!

locogringo
06-02-2003, 08:06 PM
DEEZ NUTTS:
Those of you with 27-29' vees. How tall is your set up while on the trailer? I am meeting with an architect later this week about new house plans. I need to know if I can get away with an 8' high garage door or not. I will be stepping up to the next boat while living in this house. Thank you. We have a 7 ft. door out there with a 29 Magic.
It fits by literally 3mm. Close ass fit. The condition on buying the house was that the boat would fit.
You will be more happy with the 8 ft. door trust me. I wish ours was an 8 ft. door.
Daniel

WopOnWater
06-02-2003, 09:17 PM
Deez go with at least the 8 foot door but personally I would go with the 12 footer.

al cole'holic
06-02-2003, 09:21 PM
I can't get past the back of the hatch with my 8' door, but it would depend on the brand of boat and take into consideration the pitch of the driveway.

Pet This
06-02-2003, 09:22 PM
My 38 Hustler will go through an 8' door with about an inch and a half to spare. It also depends on whether or not your approach is level or not.

TrojanDan
06-02-2003, 10:09 PM
I have a 29' Magic with 8' doors and it fits no problema. When you have a house built with 8' garage doors, the garage ceiling is usually 9' high, or one foot higher than the garage ceilings with 7' doors. I can stand in my boat on trailer in the garage no problem with about 4"-6" of head room (I'm 6' tall) to spare.

Charley
06-02-2003, 11:01 PM
My 29' cat BARELY (4-6 inches) fits through an 8' door...maybe it looks closer than it is but I still flinch a little whenever I back her in!

Havasu Cig
06-03-2003, 08:15 AM
Our 38' Cig is just a little over 8' at the highest point. I have an 11' panel style door on the garage at our house, this could be something you could do instead of a roll up. I would go as big as possible because you never know what you might buy in the future.
When we bought the Cig it had to fit in the garage as a condition of the sale. We brought it to our house and with the drive guard touching the back wall, the tounge clears the door by about 6". I wish I would have built the garage bigger in the first place, now I have to expand it in the future.

Havasu Luvr
06-03-2003, 08:36 AM
I have a 29' Shockwave on an Extreme trailer and 8' is more then enough, just make sure you have depth..
[ June 03, 2003, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Havasu Luvr ]

riverracerx
06-03-2003, 09:12 AM
Charley, Cats sit higher on a trailer than a Vee don't they. I am just guessing as I never measured one?? My Nordic 28' fits in an 8' no problem. My lifted F150 fits in a 7' with 2"s to spare.
Do the 8', but do the 12' ceilings in the garage so you can stand up inside when cleaning it.

Steamin' Rice
06-03-2003, 09:22 AM
HavasuCig,
How deep is your garage? Just curious how much space is needed for a 'gun.

Charley
06-03-2003, 10:39 AM
riverracerx:
Charley, Cats sit higher on a trailer than a Vee don't they. I am just guessing as I never measured one?? My Nordic 28' fits in an 8' no problem. My lifted F150 fits in a 7' with 2"s to spare.
Do the 8', but do the 12' ceilings in the garage so you can stand up inside when cleaning it. Yes they do because they sit on top of the tires...well assuming they have an 8'+ beam.... Cats are usually a little lower profile than a comparable sized V... I think thats why they are faster eek! :D

Havasu Cig
06-03-2003, 12:18 PM
Steamin' Rice:
HavasuCig,
How deep is your garage? Just curious how much space is needed for a 'gun. Our MYCO with drive guards is 46'. Without the drive guards I would guess you could subtract about 2'. Our garage is about 55', but part of it is a tool room in the rear. Usable space is about 46'6".
You looking to step up to something bigger? :D
[ June 03, 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Cig ]

spectratoad
06-03-2003, 12:27 PM
If I was you I would go as large as possible. It never fails that as soon as it is built you will need at least 8' 1" of clearance and then you are SOL. I would at least go with a 10'. Always build for future expansion if you can. My .02 :D

bohica
06-03-2003, 12:37 PM
I've got 8' doors and my 34 Magic fits just right. I built the house when I had a smaller boat. It's too small length wise now, 52' drive thru on a corner lot, about 10 feet to short to keep the truck all hooked up and shut both doors. It's nice not having to back the boat up into the garage. If I remember correctly, in Havasu if you want to go with doors over 8', you had to go with the flat roof style rv garage. I thought about it, but didn't match the rest of the house.

Steamin' Rice
06-03-2003, 12:46 PM
Havasu Cig:
You looking to step up to something bigger? :D Always looking, but then then I start looking at other things (like $$) and I quit looking at boats for awhile. :rolleyes: There are some really good deals on big boats out there right now, so it's tempting, but I'm pretty sure that we'll be keeping the 29 for a few years....Beyond just the cost of the boat, there are a lot of other items (operating cost, maintenance, storage, insurance, etc etc) that take a big jump if we want to move into a 35 or 38...
[ June 03, 2003, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Steamin' Rice ]

burtandnancy
06-03-2003, 01:21 PM
Built a house with a double auto garage (my truck) and used 8' doors, but the third door for the boat I went with 12' and that was the greatest. I could bring the boat up from the lake and leave the bimini up! That was really worth it. And don't forget to put drains in the floor of the boat garage, its nice to wash them indoors in the shade, with the cooler on...

DEEZ NUTTS
06-03-2003, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. My approach will be mostly level, just inches of fall to the street. I have not checked the restrictions for the hood to see if I can get away with 9'. I want to go with one 18' wide door. 9' tall might look a little big. I have 41' of depth down one side so no worrys there. Dont have a particular boat in mind yet but sounds like it should fit.

TrojanDan
06-03-2003, 04:13 PM
DEEZ NUTTS
I have 41' of depth down one side so no worrys there.[/QB]How wide is that bay? I have one bay at 10'x 33' and just wish it was 12' x 33' wide instead. The boat still fits fine but there's about 8' of the boat I need to squeeze around to get through the back door.

Dusty Times
06-03-2003, 04:48 PM
My 27' Carrera fits in my 8'door but I have to take the arch off. If you have the ceiling height put in the biggest door you can. I built the house to fit the last boat and realized and I change boats more often than houses.