PDA

View Full Version : who would do such a thing to the shoe tree......

Ziggy
05-27-2003, 10:58 AM
Sadly it seems someone found it necessary to torch the ShoeTree along the 62. My daughter was totally bummed to see the tree blackened, nary a few shoes still hanging and a black charred mess below it. frown
[ May 30, 2003, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Ziggy ]

boatnam2
05-27-2003, 11:02 AM
i will tell you who,some friggin punks that go to the river with the intent to cause kaos and ruin it for everyone.they are not hot boaters or anyone with any river history.
[ May 27, 2003, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: boatnam2 ]

SCUBA STEVE
05-27-2003, 11:05 AM
I saw that too, whats up w/that? I have always wanted to stop by and give my donation too.

G-Ride
05-27-2003, 11:05 AM
I saw that also :mad: Some shit heads have nothing better to do than destroy.
On another note it had been a while since I was at Havasu for a big weekend. I was suprised to see the amount of trash , bottles and cans, lining the channel at night after everyone went on. What happend to pack it in pack it out? Havasu has definitely gone ghetto. Sad to see.

Ziggy
05-27-2003, 11:20 AM
RD,
Only other vehicle problem I saw was friday night around 12:30, a motorhome fully engulfed in flames on the 10 just east of rest stop at top of grade past Indio. Didn't look like anyone got hurt but the motorhome was history.
Shoe tree looks dismally skinny now cry . Guess we all need to restock it in true ***boat fashion! :cool:
[ May 27, 2003, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Ziggy ]

SCUBA STEVE
05-27-2003, 11:27 AM
Do you think the tree is going to survive the summer? I never got off to look at it, but maybe it was a controlled burn. I was thinking that maybe it possed some sort of health issue?
Sounds dumb but it was just a thought. :confused:

NastyOne
05-27-2003, 11:36 AM
I saw the tree myself, and was pretty bummed.
burningm As for last weekend... my biggest pet peeve was everyone in steamboat thinking it was ok to sink beer cans and bottles. I hate these f@#kers that come out one time a year and leave their trash everywhere. I think I spent most of my time telling people to pick their shit up, so next weekend when I’m here and they're not, I don’t have to see everything they left behind.

spectratoad
05-27-2003, 11:36 AM
I doubt it. I have noticed that there are alot of respectable kids out there but it seems that for the most part the kids these days are only out to have fun and it doesn't matter at what or who's expense. Hence the litter all over Havasu. They have zero respect for those around them and have no respect for tradition. If you try to say something and just politely inform them of what they are destoying or the tradition or just try to inform them of the usual "if you guys mess up it comes down on everyone" all they usually come back with is F U type jargon or they want to fight.
There are older folks like that also but I always see problems with the younger crowd. Just my opinion.

NastyOne
05-27-2003, 11:38 AM
SCUBA STEVE:
Do you think the tree is going to survive the summer? I never got off to look at it, but maybe it was a controlled burn. I was thinking that maybe it possed some sort of health issue?
Sounds dumb but it was just a thought. :confused: That makes sense to me.

05-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Maybe they should close havasu and let the
f***ing idiots go to the beach its full of shit anyway shit heads for the shit place

G-Ride
05-27-2003, 11:50 AM
Ziggy:
RD,
Only other vehicle problem I saw was friday night around 12:30, a motorhome fully engulfed in flames on the 10 just east of rest stop at top of grade past Indio. Didn't look like anyone got hurt but the motorhome was history.
Shoe tree looks dismally skinny now cry . Guess we all need to restock it in true ***boat fashion! :cool: Ziggy,
I think you mean Thrursday night. At least that's the one we saw . Slowed the trip to Chiracio Summit to a crawl. Also saw another one torched to ground on the way home Sunday. Probably rentals. :rolleyes:

hboldno7
05-27-2003, 12:11 PM
The shoe tree was still ablaze when my Buddy rolled in on Saturday night, He pulled over thinking it might have been a car on fire to figure out it was the shoe tree

Ziggy
05-27-2003, 12:12 PM
G-Ride:
Ziggy:
RD,
Shoe tree looks dismally skinny now cry . Guess we all need to restock it in true ***boat fashion! :cool: Ziggy,
I think you mean Thrursday night. At least that's the one we saw . Slowed the trip to Chiracio Summit to a crawl. Also saw another one torched to ground on the way home Sunday. Probably rentals. :rolleyes: Nah, I wish I'd driven out Thursday eve, it was friday nite/sat morning. This motorhome was less than a mile past reststop, no emergency crew or anything yet, just peeps hangin' and watching it ...it was really hot as we past by it..I said to the wife its probably some of the non-regulars that only drive it once a year and never safety check it.

1stepcloser
05-27-2003, 03:26 PM
Wow.
The shoe tree is gone? Thats sucks. I have left a sandal, a shoe and a couple of other things there over the past couple of summers. I have a couple of photos in front of it as well.
I really dont see what pleasure would come from the destruction of what has become a cultural landmark of sorts, (at least to those who travel rice road regularly) It is indeed a sad truth that Havasu is becoming a haven for the "ghetto" crowd on more and more weekends.
No respect.
:(
cry

RiverKitty
05-27-2003, 03:37 PM
Anyone got a pic of it??? How sad. cry
Maybe we'll have to start a new one, eh? :D

Boozer
05-27-2003, 03:51 PM
RiverDave:
Knuckle head:
Check out the shore line http://www.bobbyhayden.com/20Memorial2003.JPG Is that the guy that drown in the channel? He fits the description. Black Shorts with a kinda "stuble" facial hair goatee. :confused:
Late Monday, Lake Havasu City Police investigators had not yet identified the body of a man found early that morning in Bridgewater Channel. Authorities suspect that the man drowned. “There were no signs of trauma,” said Charlie Cassens, Lake Havasu City public information officer. “He was found face down in 6 feet of water in a classic drowning position.”
Police released a description of the man, and investigators are searching through dozens of missing persons reports.
The victim is described as a white male, 35-40 years old, 5-foot-11 and 185 pounds. He had short, black thinning hair with a “stubbly” goatee beard. He was wearing black swim trunks and a Timex watch.
RD That guy doesn't have a watch on.

unleashed
05-27-2003, 04:05 PM
Damn, I love the shoe tree. Do you think a tree like that could survive after a torching. I say everyone that passes the tree this summer on the boards pour a couple of bottles of water around the base and maybe it could make a comeback.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) devil

MJ19
05-27-2003, 04:17 PM
NastyOne:
my biggest pet peeve was everyone in steamboat thinking it was ok to sink beer cans and bottles. I hate these f@#kers that come out one time a year and leave their trash everywhere. Litter Bugs are my pet peeve too...People should pick up their trash where ever they are!!! Some people are just plain lazy jackasses burningm
[ May 27, 2003, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: MJ19 ]

SMFRiverRat
05-27-2003, 04:31 PM
Really bummed about the "shoe tree". My daughter has been tossing a pair of shoes on there every time she out grew them. She was very sad when we saw it on the way home today. So was I.
Good idea on the water. I bet it will survive.
I like to set the F&^K that torched it on fire. burningm

MJ19
05-27-2003, 04:43 PM
RiverKitty:
Anyone got a pic of it??? How sad. cry
Maybe we'll have to start a new one, eh? :D I would love to see a pic if someone has one they could dig up! :)

Up 4 River
05-27-2003, 04:46 PM
I found out Sunday afternoon that the shoe tree had burned from a buddy that rolled up Saturday night. I was really bumbed to see that the tree had been burnt, especially since someone had put the American flag on the very top of the tree. That made the tree that much more special with that flag flying on top.
I spent Friday and Saturday in Parker and had a blast and then went up to Havasu on Sat night and Sunday. Parker was busy, but kept it real with normal river people. I don't know what the F%#@ happend to Havasu. Ghetto seemen to be the theme for Kokomo's and Crazyhorse. I wound up not even going out at night because of all the trash that was strolling up and down the canal boardwalk. Just had dinner at Mudsharks and BBQ out by the spa the other night.
It's scary when you see 8 thugs in a Sea Doo boat out there or in the marina late afternoon all sucking down beers.

TCHB
05-27-2003, 07:11 PM
Yes it had to be PUNKS that only come to the river to trash the place.

clownpuncher
05-27-2003, 07:24 PM
SCUBA STEVE:
Sounds dumb but it was just a thought. :confused: Doesn't sound dumb Scuba, I think you're just trying to give the benefit of the doubt. Kudo's to ya for that.
As a fireman, I can say that we don't typically burn things to mitigate health hazards. If there WAS a health issue, the shoes would have been removed and the tree would be protected. Our beloved shoe tree had to be the victim of some dickhead(s). My daughter will be bummed too. Like I said, we don't normally burn things on purpose, other than training fires or backfires, but, I did participate in a burn for our PD where we had to burn an unknown amount of marijuana and other illegal drugs. For some reason they insisted we stand upwind. Go figure
[ May 27, 2003, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: clownpuncher ]

kevnmcd
05-27-2003, 07:25 PM
What a bunch of a-holes!!!! :mad: My kids love seeing that tree. Everytime we go by there they bring some old shoes to throw on it. They are going to be sooooo bummed. frown

unleashed
05-27-2003, 07:25 PM
I know what you mean at nighttime. I walked by kokomos once and will never do it again on a big weekend unless Im rolling with about 20 buddies. Those f*cking gangbangers hangout in groups of ten and love to talk shit to people walking by. Not one of them have a boat and are only there for trouble. Period. You'd think they could get these assholes off the walk by using the loitering laws.
Deano
unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) devil

Ziggy
05-28-2003, 10:14 AM
MJ,
This is what the tree looked like before it got burned. Now picture dark limbs without any green and one or two shoes still clinging to life on it.
It was sad to see it in this condition. I have seen it on TV before, maybe like the Travel Channel or something like that. I've even met people there that have stopped to check it out that were from Kansas or somewhere like that, they'd heard about it and wanted to see it.
A bottle of H20 from each of us as we pass by may save it, stocking it with shoes should be the easy part :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/343stopped_at_K-mart-med.JPG
[ May 28, 2003, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Ziggy ]

KrazyKa
05-28-2003, 10:20 AM
unleashed:
I know what you mean at nighttime. I walked by kokomos once and will never do it again on a big weekend unless Im rolling with about 20 buddies. Those f*cking gangbangers hangout in groups of ten and love to talk shit to people walking by. Not one of them have a boat and are only there for trouble. Period. You'd think they could get these assholes off the walk by using the loitering lawsI'd rather see them there than in SoCal. The AZ has MUCH better laws in regards to how aggressors can be handled :) :)

SCUBA STEVE
05-28-2003, 10:25 AM
great pic ziggy. That was only last year. Driving by it 3 times this year, it seems like the amount of shoes doubled. Sad to see it go. Hopefully it will survive.

unleashed
05-28-2003, 12:54 PM
Next Time I pass through there I'll bring some products to help nuture that tree back. Plus I'll take a photo of me watering it so you can all see that I do what I say(Im definitly a man of my word). I think we can all help it to come back and probably be the greenest thing out there. Just pass the word on!
Deano

mbrown2
05-28-2003, 01:15 PM
Passed it Tuesday mid day....it was an absolutely dreadful sight.
My wife's cousin and her two daughters, last year, placed the shoes of their late husband who died in Motorcycle accident at a very young age. He had left these shoes in her car prior to the accident. It is memories like these that got burned as well..
Hopefully it will survive with our help...
[ May 28, 2003, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: mbrown2 ]

HammerDown
05-28-2003, 01:33 PM
That Tree must have be something to see. I belive I'd be pissed about the trash along the Beach...whats up with that?

Mrs Sandbar Junkie
05-28-2003, 08:35 PM
Every time we pass the shoe tree we promise our boyz that NEXT TIME we will stop and check it out. Well, this Memorial weekend all 4 of us took a pair of shoes to hang on the tree. We were simply amazed at all the shoes that were there. Our boyz were so damn excited to have thrown their shoes up onto the tree. But on our way home, that all ended. As we were approaching the tree I made the comment about there not being very many shoes hanging from the tree, but then when we got closer and I realized what had really happened I turned to look @ my boyz' expressions in the back seat and my oldest sons was in tears. His feelings were so hurt that we had finally stopped to check out the tree and to throw some shoes along w/all the others that were there, that he started to cry. It breaks my heart that some idiot took away something that meant so much to my family...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/564P5220004-med.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/564P5220006-med.jpg

mtndewdrops
05-28-2003, 08:55 PM
Ziggy,
That is so wierd eek! , remember last weekend I mentioned that we shoud start a thread on the shoe tree and how much it has blossomed.
That is too bad, there is one in every crowd.
What about the lingere tree that is starting up nearby? Maybe everyone can switch gears and start hanging some thongs and push-ups... :D :D :D

SCUBA STEVE
05-28-2003, 09:21 PM
great pic, mrs sandbarjunkie. At least you & the family were able to make your contribution before it was destroyed. Lets hope we can get the tree thriving again real soon.
Sorry we missed you guys all weekend as well.

Mrs Sandbar Junkie
05-28-2003, 09:27 PM
SCUBA STEVE:
great pic, mrs sandbarjunkie. At least you & the family were able to make your contribution before it was destroyed. Lets hope we can get the tree thriving again real soon.
Sorry we missed you guys all weekend as well. I was totally looking forward to hanging w/Mrs. Scuba and having a few beers. We'll have to hook up next time. Where did she get her pasties from?

SCUBA STEVE
05-28-2003, 09:33 PM
dont know, she got them from a guy out at steamboat. when are you going out next? we'll be out the 6th, op6 & 4th of july.
I dont see you guys on the op6 arrival list??

Sandbar Junkies
05-29-2003, 08:49 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/564P5220006-med.jpg
This is how I landed Mrs.SBJ. Sure they say watching the sunset at the beach is cool but at the shoe tree it is a sure thing. :D I would just like to say FU to the loser who took this tree away from all us serious river rats. That 5 hour drive just won't be the same.
[ May 29, 2003, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: Sandbar Junkies ]

clownpuncher
05-29-2003, 09:51 PM
Sandbar Junkies:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/564P5220006-med.jpg
This is how I landed Mrs.SBJ. Sure they say watching the sunset at the beach is cool but at the shoe tree it is a sure thing. :D I would just like to say FU to the loser who took this tree away from all us serious river rats. That 5 hour drive just won't be the same. Me too SBJ. Would love to have caught the little
Fu(%er. He/they would be eating "shoe soup" for about a year straight

clownpuncher
05-29-2003, 09:54 PM
Hate when this happens. Sorry
[ May 29, 2003, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: clownpuncher ]

mbrown2
05-29-2003, 09:56 PM
Great story and pics Mrs. SBJ..

TheEduKATor
05-29-2003, 10:24 PM
I don't know what it is about certain river goers that gets to me. My brother and I are a relatively young 27, but we've been going to the river since we were in diapers, thanks to mom and dad. I can remember looking out of the top window of dad's motorhome and seeing the tree and all the other sites he would call out as he's driving. Now that i'm the one who's making that drive through that long stretch of desert road all the way back to San Diego, it's the little things that keep me going. I can only down so many red bulls and energy pills. Its the shoe tree, the names in rocks, etc. that make the drive a little easier. On monday as i'm on my way back home from Havasu, i'm about to pass the tree so I yell to wake up my sleeping passenger and say "hey guys were coming up on the treeee, what the hell," as some idiot in a white chevy tahoe almost pulls out in front of me as he's doing donuts around the tree and entering the highway. I slamed on my breaks praying he sees me coming because i'm towing everyone I love in my truck and over 6 thousand pounds of boat and gear behind me. Fortunately he stops in the middle of the other lane so I can go on my happy little way. Seconds later this braniac flies by us doing an easy 90 plus as he approaches the train tracks. In a scene out of a movie the guys tahoe jumps the tracks we could see all four tires off the pavement, he lands and tips on two wheels then over corrects and back on two wheels. Fortunately, the guy was able to gain control of his tahoe and keep it from flipping. About a mile down the road, he's on the shoulder either changing his shorts, or counting his blessings. His back doors were open and all his gear was just thrown around in the truck. Sorry this is so long, but stupidity and ignorance really pisses me off. The whole point of going to the river is getting away from the real world for a few days and enjoying life with family and friends and making new ones, not acting like idiots, burning down trees, littering the river, and almost killing the real river goers. That's just my .2 cents.

Ziggy
05-30-2003, 12:56 PM
TheEduKATor:
The whole point of going to the river is getting away from the real world for a few days and enjoying life with family and friends and making new ones, not acting like idiots, burning down trees, littering the river, and almost killing the real river goers. That's just my .2 cents. Amen....brother. :)

hboldno7
05-30-2003, 01:03 PM
Rest in Peace Shoe Tree
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/570Shoe_Tree-med.jpg

Jrocket
05-30-2003, 01:13 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/232Parker_ski_races_3-9-02_024-med.jpg

1stepcloser
05-30-2003, 01:35 PM
I'm not a tree-ologist or anything, but I beleive that the shoe tree is not dead. Trees that live in the forest with their families occasionally suffer through raging fires, and sruvive quite well. Their outer bark gets kind of crispy, but they do come back.
I believe that if all of us that pass by were to stop and give a little care through the summer it may well survive. Water is the key here.
I understand there is a rather large event happening soon on lake Havasu, if all who are attending would make it a point to leave a little love at the tree, it should pull through.
Maybe that group of individual's who have formed a club of sorts could adopt the tree as their mascot..?..

Ziggy
05-30-2003, 02:05 PM
A 5 gal. jug of H20 mixed with a little miracle grow dumped by each of us will bring it back. We can do it, we can do it, yes we can..LOL
:D :) :D
Don't think finding any shoes for it will be difficult, we ***boaters will have her spiffed up in no time.

lawbreaker2
05-30-2003, 08:10 PM
You know I dont even live there and this brought a tear to my eyes.why do these asshole have to mess stuff up. cry

wntitall
05-30-2003, 08:30 PM
After all this time.... What a damn disgrace!!! :( :( frown

Infomaniac
05-30-2003, 08:39 PM
Must have been those gang bangers from the other thread.

Windy
05-31-2003, 12:21 AM
No more "shoe tree" :( :( frown

Wet Dream
05-31-2003, 06:12 AM
Sorry to hear it and see it guys. Thanks for posting the pics. For a guy thats never been there, its hard to imagine it and the pics put it all in perspective. Hopefully everyone can get out there and help it grow.

boatnam2
05-31-2003, 07:52 AM
passed by thursday on the way to parker it looked pretty cooked.on the way home friday it had a few new shoes on it and was starting to look better.

SandbarScot
06-01-2003, 08:21 AM
I'm glad someone posted a pic of the Shoe Tree with the American Flag on top. That really struck me when I went by Friday, being Memorial Day weekend. I was bummed to see it torched when we went home. :( Mr & Mrs Sandbar Scot and family will stop at the tree Friday eve, June 20. Hope to see some of you there.

Trailer Park Casanova
06-01-2003, 08:38 AM
Seemed like once a year someone would remove all the stuff from the tree and clean it up,, kinda like re-setting it for another year.
We always figured it was Caltrans, or a Caltrans DUI slavecrew.
I'll bet a cookie it'll come back,, but so may the A holes that torched it.
Bad driving conditions bring good people, good driving conditions bring bad people.. as the temps sore into the teens (bad driving conditions for some), seems to be less bad people.
I think they only time Earl Schieb gives them time off from work are National Holidays.

24ROD
06-01-2003, 09:15 AM
That totaly sucks!!!!!!!!!! that's a landmark, a cool one for the 30 years we have going there. burningm burningm burningm
[ June 01, 2003, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: 24ROD ]

C-2
06-01-2003, 07:53 PM
If those fockers had to torch something...at least it could have been the bathrooms at Desert Center, hopefully they would have rebuilt them! lol lol only and j/k
Bastards, that damn tree always brought a smile to our faces, both coming and going. :mad: :mad:
Sad to hear about all the other grief as well.
Didn't I see a "bra" tree starting at the rubble/town at the first RR tracks? That could be cool.

mtndewdrops
06-01-2003, 08:08 PM
C-2:
Didn't I see a "bra" tree starting at the rubble/town at the first RR tracks? That could be cool. That's right, I thought I saw some panties there as well. I refered to this tree earlier in this thread as the "lingere' tree". wink
Ladies, feel free to add to the collection! :)
Men, you can leave your speedos there also (aka marble bags) :p

Duck
06-01-2003, 09:34 PM
Glad I had the chance to see it one last time a couple of weeks ago. We're bummed. :(
It was my X-mas card last year. RIP tree.

WILDERTHANU54
06-01-2003, 09:40 PM
PEOPLE CAN BE IDIOTS.....

SMFRiverRat
06-02-2003, 05:54 AM
If those fockers had to torch something...at least it could have been the bathrooms at Desert Center, hopefully they would have rebuilt them! lol lol only and j/k
That would be about the only way you could sanitize that place. But in fairness, I can't really complain about a restroom that you can use and not be a customer. We always make the river newbies go in there regardless if they have to go or not. Kind of a right-of-passage. The looks on the faces as they come out is priceless. Then stop at the shoe tree and make them take their shoes off and toss them up.
Sounds like the Bra tree might be the thing now.
[ June 02, 2003, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: SMFRiverRat ]

BoatPI
06-05-2003, 08:28 AM
On Saturday of memorial weekend I apssed by "The Tree". It look great as usual, plus some toughtfull sole had placed two american flafs on the tree. One was at the top!
On Wednesday the tree was burned. The flags wre removed. Some assbite had poured gasoline around the tree, on the tree, and lit it ablaze. It may have killed it. Everything was toast, even the ground outside of the shoes lying around the tree. Seems like we need to carry our shotguns down Rice.
Were these gangbangers that have showed up latey.

78DiMarco
06-05-2003, 10:14 AM
I saw it on the way back from Memorial weekend. I was going to take a picture to post but was bummed when I saw it burned. What a bunch of ass wipes who did this. Some people just don't get it. These are some miserable people so they try and ruin it for everyone else it seems. :mad:

Trailer Park Casanova
06-05-2003, 04:15 PM
I'm dumping 10 gallons of water at the trees base each direction, each trip this summer.
Several others mentioned the same,,,
The tree will survive!!!

Havasu_Jet_85
06-05-2003, 04:45 PM
thats some bull shit. seeing that tree always brought a smile to my face.

Ziggy
06-05-2003, 05:03 PM
Trailer Park Casanova:
I'm dumping 10 gallons of water at the trees base each direction, each trip this summer.
Several others mentioned the same,,,
The tree will survive!!! It'll see me tomorrow night for sure with a little Miracle-Grow added to the H20
:)

Ziggy
06-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Shoe tree got watered...Its beginning to shape up again, a few green sprouts are showing and it gladly soaked up the water I gave it. :D :D Had a good laugh doing it with an audience too. Thanks to the many who have already begun redressing it with new shoes(my donation was left too). The beginning of a new Era?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/343waterin_the-shoetree-med.jpg
Long live the show tree!!! :)

Ziggy
06-09-2003, 11:13 AM
opps, my 1st double post. :confused:
[ June 09, 2003, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Ziggy ]

I_C_E_Y
06-09-2003, 11:32 AM
I would think it would be better to keep the shoes off in till there is a gurantee the tree will survive since your saying it is sprouting again.

Fufu Queen
06-09-2003, 11:42 AM
All I can say is I love you guy's. Good peeps are hard to find, but it looks as if we hit the jackpot in all of you.

hot_diggity_dog
06-09-2003, 11:45 AM
Shoe tree got watered...Its beginning to shape up again, a few green sprouts are showing and it gladly soaked up the water I gave it. Had a good laugh doing it with an audience too. Thanks to the many who have already begun redressing it with new shoes(my donation was left too). The beginning of a new Era? http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/343waterin_the-shoetree-med.jpg
Ziggy you da man. I was cracking up at the photo.
Hot can you put some panties in the tree Diggity Dog wink

hot_diggity_dog
06-09-2003, 11:47 AM
I would think it would be better to keep the shoes off in till there is a gurantee the tree will survive since your saying it is sprouting again. I agree panties are much lighter than shoes. wink
HDD :cool:

Boozer
06-09-2003, 11:50 AM
Considering that this tree is a Dessert tree and is not use to recieving massive quantities of water isn't kind of a bad thing to water the tree a lot??
Some plants and trees require lots of water and others don't require lots. A Joshua tree being a dessert native could most likely be over watered if not careful.
It's been a long time since I was heavy into gardening and Dessert trees were never my specialty so I could be wrong. But then again maybe I'm not wrong. I'd just hate to see this good deed result in being bad for the tree.

SCUBA STEVE
06-09-2003, 11:58 AM
On the way home yesterday it did look like the tree was making a come back. We wanted to stop, but there was a few cars behind us, so we couldnt.
Great job ZIGGY.

Ziggy
06-09-2003, 12:05 PM
HDD,
I told ya was gonna do it LMAO :D There was a family that had stopped at that moment, they were cracking up nearly as much as me. Having trouble hook up my shoes was a laugher too.
BOOZER,
This tree is older than most of us for sure, its well rooted and established, don't think my few gals. of H20 really put a dent, it just felt fun/cool to do something. If I'm not mistaken I belive its what they call a ScrubPine, is quite prevelent in the region and hardy.
:cool:

unleashed
06-09-2003, 04:55 PM
Goodjob Ziggy, I would not worry about the tree getting to much water when the temp is 108 it will not harm the tree as most of it evaporates(But enough gets to the roots to help the comeback). Thats a cool ass photo!
Deano

gigamurph
06-09-2003, 08:06 PM
Fufu Queen:
All I can say is I love you guy's. Good peeps are hard to find, but it looks as if we hit the jackpot in all of you. Yeah; but there is always that one guy that just p**ses everyone off!
:p

gigamurph
06-09-2003, 08:11 PM
Ziggy:
Shoe tree got watered...Its beginning to shape up again, a few green sprouts are showing and it gladly soaked up the water I gave it. :D :D Had a good laugh doing it with an audience too. Thanks to the many who have already begun redressing it with new shoes(my donation was left too). The beginning of a new Era?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/343waterin_the-shoetree-med.jpg
Long live the show tree!!! :) Good man h_d_d! I'm sure the ol' boy was grateful. :D

RiverKitty
06-09-2003, 08:30 PM
Ziggster! You Da Man!!! :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/414ZiggyWaterinShoeTree-med.jpg

Mandelon
06-09-2003, 08:41 PM
I believe its best to water around the drip line, not at the trunk. The rooting pattern pretty much will mirror the branch line above it. I am no expert on xeriscape plants either, but this is true with leafy and needled evergreens and deciduous trees. Maybe being a desert tree it could have a deep taproot, but I doubt it. Good job Mr. Zig!!! :D :D

cola
06-16-2003, 04:24 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/236259/Stree.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/236259/Bratree.jpg
old shoe & bra trees @ rice. stopped & watered the shoe tree, will try & remove some of the trash next weekend
later, mike&kim

little rowe boat
06-16-2003, 05:02 PM
I don't Travel Rice rd. enroute to Havasu, but will make it a point to go that route next trip out,so I can put some water on it. frown

Trailer Park Casanova
06-16-2003, 06:39 PM
We're going to haul out a trashbag of debris, and put down 10 gallons of water this Saturday at noon.

Suttle Huh?
06-16-2003, 06:46 PM
Never been that way or seen the tree, I always go the 40 to Needles. Glad to see there is a lot of people out there that care, instead of aholes who just want to destroy stuff for pleasure. It will be interesting watching the rebirth of the tree!!!! boxed