PDA

View Full Version : Another PWC fatality

EricinNv
08-30-2002, 06:04 AM
Round Hill Pines Beach (East shore Lake Tahoe) either a T-bone or head on between 2 PWC'S resulted in a 15 year old boy dying from his injuries. He was transported to the hospital where he was pronounced DOA. What's it gonna take?? :mad: It doesn't seem to matter if it's adults or juveniles, sober or drunk. The only common thread I find is ignorance.

JetBoatRich
08-30-2002, 06:20 AM
That Sucks, kids shouldn't drive/ride unless taught and well supervised. They need to grow and become adults. I hate when kids get hurt/die for any reason especially ignorance! :mad:

spectratoad
08-30-2002, 06:23 AM
Hey Eric, I heard that this morning. People just need to keep their heads on a screw and learn how to control watercraft. :(
I am packing up this morning to head to Pyramid. We are at Pelican Point if you get a hair and need something to do. Brown Spectra, Yellow witchcraft. Both daycruiser types. :D

EricinNv
08-30-2002, 06:38 AM
Thanks Todd, but I'm already here at work. Somebody's gotta Hold Down the Fort! Be Safe!

TOBTEK
08-30-2002, 05:56 PM
sorry to hear of this, but I thought pwc's were banned from Lake Tahoe?

timitunnel
08-30-2002, 10:06 PM
I keep telling people that if you are going to have kids, you need to ba a parent. It sometimes can be a hard and frustrating, but I'm sure its easier than having one die. Tim

beached1
09-03-2002, 05:53 AM
TOBTEK:
sorry to hear of this, but I thought pwc's were banned from Lake Tahoe?Only carborated two strokes are banned from the lake. Rental PWCs should be next if things like this keep happening. Sorry to hear.

BK
09-03-2002, 06:49 AM
Just hate to here of this. I witnessed a young boy get seriously hurt in a collision near Walters Camp (Blythe) a couple of years ago on a pwc. From what I understand in some other states (Oregon is one) you have to take a test and be licensed to opperate a boat or pwc. With the amount of incedents and crowded waters today this may be inevedible (and a good idea) in Ca and Az as well.

Livin Large 27Hallett
09-03-2002, 08:53 AM
Ericin Nv,
Hey I was just in Gardnerville visiting my brother and we took his hallett out to Topaz on Sunday. Was nice to ski a lake in the mountains instead of one in the desert all of the time. There were alot of boats out there though for how small of a lake it is. wink

EricinNv
09-03-2002, 09:51 AM
Livin Large 27Hallett:
Ericin Nv,
Hey I was just in Gardnerville visiting my brother and we took his hallett out to Topaz on Sunday. Was nice to ski a lake in the mountains instead of one in the desert all of the time. There were alot of boats out there though for how small of a lake it is. wink We just got back from there at 1030. Not a boat on the lake! :D :D :D I've got Tahoe to the west and Topaz to the south. Both 20-25 minute drive to Launch wink

beached1
09-03-2002, 10:32 AM
Topaz looked like an awesome place to boat. We saw it on our way in and out of Tahoe. Now my wife wants us to move up there.

HM
09-03-2002, 11:18 AM
I was on a housboat all last week with 3 other houseboats and 9 sea doos.
we had 2 sea doo accidents within our own group. The first one was two 14 year olds who bumbed while spraying each other - one sprained his wrist. The other was a grandpa and a grandson. The grandson (15) pulled in front of the grandpa (Grandpa has a brandnew 4 stroke sea doo and was not paying attention and had a couple of drinks). Grandpa t-boned the other PWC (yamaha) and launched over it at about 30 MPH. The grandson had bailed before the impact and was not hurt. Grandpa was not hurt either and only had a couple of scratches on the bottom of his sea doo. The yamaha was in critical condition - the whole steering top unit with fiberglass was busted off and the left side of if was cracked open. Some bungie cords and duct tape made it rideable and towable to get it back to the marina.
I saw a study on PWC's the estimated that the average PWC rider loses 50 IQ points the second they give it gas. Actually, a real study showed how even the most conservative people get much more aggresive than normal when operating a PWC - it hadd to do with personal freedom and adrenaline.

Livin Large 27Hallett
09-03-2002, 12:01 PM
eric,
My brother also goes to La Hauntla, something like that, He says it is alot bigger. I am thinking of moving up there it is just I will have to get rid of my 27' Hallett. Lakes up there are just not big enough for it. He lives on Bluerock if you know where that is.

JetBoatRich
09-03-2002, 12:11 PM
John that is where your moving now? Always want to move and sell everything? :confused:

snappertapper
09-03-2002, 12:24 PM
15 yr old fatality down here in florida too, people towing skier hit a channel marker adn threw him in to it while they were looking back at the skier

Livin Large 27Hallett
09-03-2002, 12:43 PM
JetBoatRich:
John that is where your moving now? Always want to move and sell everything? :confused: Oh you know Rich, Always thinking but never doing..... :D :D :D

JetBoatRich
09-03-2002, 02:46 PM
Just like the work you get done, always sitting and thinking your going to do something, but ....

EricinNv
09-03-2002, 02:49 PM
Livin Large 27Hallett:
eric,
My brother also goes to La Hauntla, something like that, He says it is alot bigger. I am thinking of moving up there it is just I will have to get rid of my 27' Hallett. Lakes up there are just not big enough for it. He lives on Bluerock if you know where that is.It's actually Lahanton and only about an hour away. We shoot carp there with our bows :D
Don't tell me Tahoe is too small for your 27'???
I moved here from Orange County in 94 and it's changed so much. I think a move to Havasu is in the works for me. I just bought a 1 acre lot there. BTW, Bluerock rd is only 5 minutes from my house.
Eric

Spirit of Discovery
09-03-2002, 03:08 PM
Hey Eric, I grew up in Coleville. Spent many days at Topaz. It is a pretty neat lake. How is the algae? It was beginning to become a problem several years ago. There sure are some big trout in that lake!! My sister still lives there and has a large ranch. Have fun there!!

Livin Large 27Hallett
09-03-2002, 03:16 PM
Eric,
Why in the world would you go from Gardnerville to Havasu, are you nuts? Tahoe is a decent size lake but as far as I am concerned, compared to Mohave, Mead, and Powell it is pretty small.

TCHB
09-09-2002, 12:18 PM
A agree people do not respect or understand the equipment they are riding. You see it all the time with motorcylces, boats, pwc, and other equipment.

396_Z
09-09-2002, 10:23 PM
Just to correct BK.
Oregons license is a crock, it's nothing more than a boating safty course and it's set up to take 7 years to totally implement.
Starting in 2003 all people under age 25 have to take the course to operate anything with more than 10 hp, age 30 (I think) in 2004 and it gains 10 years of operator age every year until everyone is licensed. By the time blind gramps in his 60 mph bass boat can see he'll be dead so he doesn't need a license.