PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION: Chroming Billet Wheels

Lightning
01-30-2003, 10:43 AM
I was thinking about having the Weld's on the truck chromed. I'm tired of polishing... Is it possible to have Billet chromed and not compromise the integrity of the wheel? Just wondering if anyone has any experience or feedback with this.
Anyone have any hookups on a place to get it done?

TOBTEK
01-30-2003, 10:47 AM
Lightning:
I was thinking about having the Weld's on the truck chromed. I'm tired of polishing... Is it possible to have Billet chromed and not compromise the integrity of the wheel? Just wondering if anyone has any experience or feedback with this.
Anyone have any hookups on a place to get it done? we (I work for a BMW dealer) have our alum wheels chromed all the time. They hold up pretty well as long as you keep them clean and free of brake dust. Keep in mind if you "curb" or scratch a wheel you have to strip and replate the wheel, which can be expensive and a pain. Our platers name is San Diego Motoring Accessories/ Don petty(very cool guy) 760-945-0855 i think. we pay anywhere from 695-995 per set installed....good luck
[ January 30, 2003, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: TOBTEK ]

69 Elim
01-30-2003, 12:01 PM
I personally wouldn't chrome them. I just like the look of pollished allum a whole lot more than chrome...

Lightning
01-30-2003, 12:08 PM
69 Elim:
I personally wouldn't chrome them. I just like the look of pollished allum a whole lot more than chrome... They are a bitch to polish, that's the only thing I don't like about 'em.

wsuwrhr
01-30-2003, 01:21 PM
I work for an alloy wheel manufacturer, we chrome our own wheels inhouse. What structural integrity you are talking about happens when you chrome steel, called hydrogen embrittlement. The same properties don't exist for aluminum to my knowledge. As far as chroming goes, it is much easier to clean chrome than polishing aluminum. You are talking a $100 or more each to chrome 4 wheels. Just my 2 cents.
Brian

wsuwrhr
01-30-2003, 01:22 PM
If they are 2 piece wheels I don't think anyone will guarantee the chrome.
Brian

wsuwrhr
01-30-2003, 01:24 PM
Nevermind, I don't think Weld makes 2 peice.
Brian

Lightning
01-30-2003, 01:56 PM
wsuwrhr:
If they are 2 piece wheels I don't think anyone will guarantee the chrome.
Brian Actually, they are two piece. Most of their truck wheels are two piece forged. You're right, no place will guarantee the chrome on 2 piece wheels.

al cole'holic
01-30-2003, 06:30 PM
I thought I heard something a while back at AA Powdercoating that some people in the same position would have their wheels professionally polished to perfection and then had them powdercoated clear...???

BK
01-30-2003, 06:38 PM
Not to get off the subject of wheels but i've been thinking of having my tunnel ram chromed, is this something thats being done or would there be some problems with it? Its polished right now, thanks.

DUCKY
01-30-2003, 06:43 PM
al cole'holic:
I thought I heard something a while back at AA Powdercoating that some people in the same position would have their wheels professionally polished to perfection and then had them powdercoated clear...??? This is the way to go! Chrome does not adhere well to aluminum, and if you scratch it, your done. As far as the tunnel ram question above, I had great luck with my last one. I polished it, and painted it with clear hi-temp engine enamel. It looked great and took no more than a wet towel to clean it.

truksnboats
01-31-2003, 08:32 AM
call classic wheel workz in glendora. They charge about 100-115 per wheel and will have it done in a few days. 626 914 7725

LHC30Victory
01-31-2003, 09:40 AM
Powder Coat Plus in LHC does a "chrome" powder that looks pretty good...but not like the real thing. As mentioned in a prior post, clear powder over a polished aluminum keeps the shine without the polishing hassle and you get the durability of powder.
Powder Coat Plus
1625 W Acoma, LHC
928 680 5822

Lightning
01-31-2003, 10:09 AM
Where is LHC?