PDA

View Full Version : Update on Roy ("Tiger Meat") Horn's condition

MagicMtnDan
10-16-2003, 11:01 AM
Surgeon removed part of Roy's skull
Associated Press
A neurosurgeon says a part of Roy Horn's skull had to be removed in order to save his life after he was attacked by a tiger.
DR. LONNIE HAMMARGREN says about one-fourth of the right side of Horn's skull was removed to relieve cranial pressure.
He also says the 59-year-old illusionist had a pretty big stroke -- but doctors think paralysis on his left side might be temporary.
Horn -- part of the Siegfried and Roy duo -- is still in critical condition at a Las Vegas hospital.
Hammargren says the stroke didn't hit the side affecting speech, thinking or memory -- and that Horn can still comprehend things and do things.
Hammargren is a former Nevada lieutenant governor. He didn't operate on Horn -- but he talked to the doctor who did.

Ultra5150
10-16-2003, 11:29 AM
Hmmm.....
Wouldn't it be crazy if he got out of the hospital and started liking chicks???

summerlove
10-16-2003, 01:49 PM
Ultra5150:
Hmmm.....
Wouldn't it be crazy if he got out of the hospital and started liking chicks??? now, if there was anything funny about what happened, that was it! Roy liking chicks, LMAO!

Rod-64
10-16-2003, 01:57 PM
Actually, they put the skull piece in his stomach to save it for re-attatchment to save the marrow....pretty freaky stuff. eek!

Rod-64
10-16-2003, 01:59 PM
Here's the story...
Part of mauled magician Roy Horn's skull was removed and stored in his stomach during a radical operation where the illusionist officially died for almost a minute. According to American tabloid Star, the 59-year-old German performer suffered a stroke and is paralyzed on his left side after being horrifically attacked on-stage by a white tiger on October 3. They describe his condition as being "far worse" than previously thought. A source tells the publication, "Roy has been fighting like mad to stay alive. Anyone else would have died by now." The extreme procedure involving his skull - called a hemicraniectomy - may have saved his life by reducing the amount of pressure from brain swelling. The skull fragment was kept in his stomach for safekeeping and to keep the bone marrow alive. Dr. Joshua Bederson, a neurosurgeon at New York's Mount Sinai Medical Center, tells the New York Daily News, "It is amazing - and we see immediate improvement in some of the patients." He also believes Horn will be able to recover from the paralysis, adding, "Frequently someone like that will regain a tremendous amount of function, including the ability to walk, drive, and return to work again." As part of flamboyant illusion duo Siegfried And Roy, Horn had performed at Las Vegas's Mirage venue thousands of times since 1990.

Desert Rat
10-16-2003, 02:16 PM
This is the Tiger that really mauled Roy Horn
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/881tiger-med.jpg

Rexone
10-16-2003, 04:49 PM
MagicMtnDan:
Hammargren is a former Nevada lieutenant governor. He didn't operate on Horn -- but he talked to the doctor who did. Not to discount Roy's plight, but I'm a little concerned what Bustamonte might be doing in about 4 years. eek!

Trailer Park Casanova
10-16-2003, 05:55 PM
Both Sigfreid and Roy have identical twin brothers,, so I'm sure they'll find a way to put the show back together if the money is right.
Last time I went to see them,, I think it was $140.
All they did was walk through their parts to the mark on the stage, dissapear, then the identical twin appeared someplace else,, then they did some other illusions that were pretty good, some audience interaction,, a few more tricks,, then the exits opened.
Drinks were $9.
Cats detonate for no reason,,that's the nature of all cats,, they're a bit looney and can do ya real quick.

MANIC MECHANIC
10-16-2003, 06:17 PM
MagicMtnDan:
He didn't operate on Horn -- but he talked to the doctor who did. And I suppose he also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night? :D LOL... Tim

Rexone
10-16-2003, 10:53 PM
riodog:
Mikey, are you trying to tell us that Bustiwhaddi is going to come back as a DOCTOR? That's a really scarey thought!
Rio jawdrop Could happen eek! He'll prolly take up cranial rectology though since he's already got on the job experience.

JetBoatRich
10-17-2003, 05:31 AM
MANIC MECHANIC:
MagicMtnDan:
He didn't operate on Horn -- but he talked to the doctor who did. And I suppose he also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night? :D LOL... Tim LOL, beat me on this one :D