PDA

View Full Version : Comupter Guru's, I have a question

Wet Dream
04-18-2003, 03:14 PM
Ok, I have DSL service, but for some reason, when I am surfing, the banners and pics will be fine for a little while, but after a while, the pages will load text only. The pics and avatars show red X's. Then, if I try to refresh the page, it tells me that this page isn't available offline. I then have to restart my computer. Whats going on? Is it an easy fix?
[ April 18, 2003, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: Wet Dream ]

Mandelon
04-18-2003, 03:20 PM
You need to perform a sawhatxis on the dingleybobber. There is a namiblick stuck in your linear transmorgrifier. If its not cleared up with a level 3 diagnostic I think the crossovers need reealigning. :D

SCUBA STEVE
04-18-2003, 03:28 PM
I agree with Mandelon. :D

Rod-64
04-18-2003, 03:32 PM
Is that next to the gigapolygammanucleartron?? :D

Beautiful Noise
04-18-2003, 03:34 PM
Mandelon:
You need to perform a sawhatxis on the dingleybobber. There is a namiblick stuck in your linear transmorgrifier. :D God you would have to remind me of that,When I had mine the Doctor had to REACH WAY IN and EXTRACT it from the eek! eek! ..........Well let's just say it wasn't a Pretty Site that's for sure :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Steve

396_Z
04-18-2003, 03:38 PM
Off the top of my head I'm going to say it's an issue with your Temp Internet files folder. As a diagnostic you can run disk clean up and see if that solves it. If it does it's in the settings for the browser your using.
I wish I could be more help but right after I get home from a 10 hour day at work I refuse to think.

Moose
04-18-2003, 03:43 PM
He may want to check the Monitor bearings with a left handed thermo wrench. It worked for me. :D

Wet Dream
04-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Mandelon:
You need to perform a sawhatxis on the dingleybobber. I was afraid thats what it might be. :confused:

comin' unscrewed
04-18-2003, 05:15 PM
Beautiful Noise,
Bummer of an avatar dude! eek!

Beautiful Noise
04-18-2003, 05:17 PM
comin' unscrewed:
Beautiful Noise,Bummer of an avatar dude! eek! It's true what they say "Shit Does Happen" BUT It was up and Running that Night :) :)
Steve

572Daytona
04-18-2003, 05:53 PM
You may just need to setup your internet connection to say you have a permanent connection to the internet. Try this:
In Internet Explorer go to Tools - Internet Options
Click on the Connections Tab
Click the Setup button
You should see the Internet Connection Wizard
Choose the 3rd Option on the screen which is I want to setup my internet connection manually or I connect through a LAN and hit Next
Hit next then choose the 2nd option which is I connect through a LAN and hit Next
Leave everything blank on the next screen and hit next
Choose No to setting up a mail account and hit next
Then hit finish on the next screen
If that doesn't fix the problem you may want to go out to http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp and put on the latest fixes for your OS and IE. I don't know what OS you are running but Win98 had some problems when it first came out similar to this when your dhcp lease expired.

mickeyfinn
04-18-2003, 06:16 PM
Sounds like a temporary internet file issue to me too. check your hard drive space when it starts doing this and see if you are filling up. You should also do as mentioned above and clear your temp internet files folders. You didn't say what OS you are running. Also if your ISP begins to experience DNS problems you could start experiencing the same problems. Try surfing to another site and see if the same problems exist.

BigBoyToys
04-18-2003, 06:20 PM
[ April 20, 2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: BigBoyToys ]

572Daytona
04-18-2003, 07:35 PM
BBT, when I first went to a cable modem I had that very same problem and there was nothing wrong with my network hardware. What I found out was happening was that my DHCP lease was expiring every now and then Win98 would replace the IP address with a 169. private address via its IP Autoconfiguration. It was probably a timing thing since it didn't happen every time. It didn't help matters that the network support bozo for my ISP had set the lease timeout to 20seconds so every 20 seconds I had to renew my DHCP lease.
Microsoft acknowledged that there was a problem there and the work around was to disable the IP autoconfiguration via a registry change. This problem was eventually fixed. Here is the KB article if you are interested: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;189255
You are correct that the best way to see if something like this is happening is thru winipcfg
I've also seen problem where your internet connection thinks it is a dialup and even though you have a valid IP on your ethernet card IE thinks it is offline. You can simulate this behavior by choosing File - Work Offline in IE. You will get the error message that Wet Dream is getting even though your ethernet card is working and has a valid IP. I suspect that rather than rebooting he could just uncheck Work Offline in the File menu and he will be good to go. I've found that the fix for keeping IE configuring from configuring itself offline in the first place is to go back through the Internet Connection Wizard and configure your connection as a LAN connection

beyondhelpin
04-18-2003, 08:11 PM
Mickeyfinn
That avatar made me laugh so hard I almost cried!

Wet Dream
04-18-2003, 10:34 PM
Sorry guys, I should have mentioned that this is the win98 os. I'm getting pretty tired of this crap that the computer pulls with me (IE has caused a fault, locking up, pms, etc). I should just buy a new one, but I hate to lose all the files that I have, or spend 2 days transferring them.

Tom Brown
04-18-2003, 10:50 PM
Wet Dream, 572D and BBT have nailed this problem. Call your ISP and have them talk you through setting up the IP stack on your NIC for DHCP. They'll know all about it because they do it all the time.
There's no need to buy a new machine for a simple problem like this.

572Daytona
04-19-2003, 08:48 AM
Tom, I agree that the ISP should be the ones able to help since it has been my experience that the help desks are staffed with minumum wage employees reading from scripts, no actual network knowledge at all. If a reboot fixes the problem, that will be their solution.
Wet Dream, as BBT suggested checking out the info from WINIPCFG is the best place to start. You will want to do it first when everything is working and write down all the info, then again when it breaks and see what is different.
To run winipcfg, do a Start - Run and type winipcfg in the box and hit ok. You should see an IP Configuration windows. Pull down the little arrow and choose the entry that is NOT PPP Adapter, then click on more info and you should see something like the following:
http://www.alltel.net/~jthieme/winipcfg.gif
Make a note of the information, especially the IP address, Default Gateway and Lease Expiration info.
When you start getting the web pages unavailable run winipcfg again and compare the numbers and let us know what has changed. If the IP addr is all 0's now you may be able to fix the problem by clicking on the renew all button to renew your lease.
If the IP address looks the same, click on the file command on the Internet Explorer toolbar and see if Work Offline is checked like the following. If it is, try selecting it again so the check mark goes away and then try pulling up the web page again.
http://www.alltel.net/~jthieme/workoffline.gif

GlastronGuy
04-19-2003, 09:25 AM
572Daytona:
BBT, when I first went to a cable modem I had that very same problem and there was nothing wrong with my network hardware. What I found out was happening was that my DHCP lease was expiring...This happens to me daily. My ISP won't help because I am using a router and they only support a single connection. I have to turn my router off for + - 10 minutes and then reset the IP. I have XP Pro but I use winipcfg. :)
We were all used to using it instead of the cmd prompt so I found a work around.

Eric455
04-19-2003, 10:50 AM
DSL "Dirty Sectret Lies"
its all about cable baby... never down no log-on BullS*^t. always on and always fast.
eric"employee of cablecomany"455 :D

RiverKitty
04-19-2003, 10:18 PM
Wet Dream,
Did you ever get it figured out, eh? :confused:
~RK

sidewound
04-20-2003, 01:00 AM
WOW, DEEP STUFF!
I UNDERSTOOD THE LUMINATOR BEIN ALL RINKED BACK UNDER THE BREMAHATOR BUT ALL THOSE LETTERS AND NUMBERS REALLY THREW ME FOR A LOOP.
MY MECHANIC TOLD ME TO TAKE IT OUT AND BLOW THE COBS OUT. LOL
PEACE MAN
CESAR

BigBoyToys
04-20-2003, 02:29 AM
[ April 20, 2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: BigBoyToys ]

BigBoyToys
04-20-2003, 02:33 AM
[ April 20, 2003, 06:38 AM: Message edited by: BigBoyToys ]

Tom Brown
04-20-2003, 02:52 AM
[ April 20, 2003, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

BigBoyToys
04-20-2003, 02:52 AM
[ April 20, 2003, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: BigBoyToys ]

BigBoyToys
04-20-2003, 03:01 AM
[ April 20, 2003, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: BigBoyToys ]

BigBoyToys
04-20-2003, 03:10 AM
[ April 20, 2003, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: BigBoyToys ]

Tom Brown
04-20-2003, 03:16 AM
[ April 20, 2003, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

BigBoyToys
04-20-2003, 03:25 AM
[ April 20, 2003, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: BigBoyToys ]

572Daytona
04-20-2003, 12:42 PM
BigBoyToys:
572Daytona:
BBT, when I first went to a cable modem I had that very same problem and there was nothing wrong with my network hardware. What I found out was happening was that my DHCP lease was expiring every now and then Win98 would replace the IP address with a 169. private address via its IP Autoconfiguration. Ahhh yes, then there's the AIPAP (Automatic IP Addressing Protocol), developed by Microsoft and built into the OS starting With Win9X When a DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server cannot be found, an IP adress in the range of 169.254.X.X will automatically be assigned by the OS so that the node (computer) can communicate with other nodes on the network.
If you're getting an IP address of 169.254.X.X reboot your router if you use one, reboot your DSL/Cable modem if not. Or better yet, just say wtf and reboot them both wink
Or....Next time you have the problem with the PC, don't do anything....just call me (not too late at night) and we'll figure out what's going on here. Phone numbers are available on my website :) I'm not the one having a problem, it is Wet Dream that I was trying to help. This was a problem that I had more than 2 years ago and I resolved a long time ago. It was just something I was pointing out may be what is happening to Wet Dream. My network is working very well thank you.
I guess I missed all the fun discussions around hacking. It wasn't too long ago that everyone's IP was visible on this board and I didn't have a problem with that. I don't see what harm it is letting anyone know my DNS server address and Netbios name. If you feel the need to hack into my private stash of photochopped pics of RiverDave, have at it, I guess that makes you the expert then.

Tom Brown
04-20-2003, 01:23 PM
[ April 20, 2003, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

BigBoyToys
04-20-2003, 03:21 PM
[ April 20, 2003, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: BigBoyToys ]

BigBoyToys
04-20-2003, 03:25 PM
[ April 20, 2003, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: BigBoyToys ]

572Daytona
04-20-2003, 03:28 PM
Man..that's the last time I spend the night working on my boat, I miss out on all of the good stuff wink

BigBoyToys
04-20-2003, 03:39 PM
572Daytona:
Man..that's the last time I spend the night working on my boat, I miss out on all of the good stuff wink Spend all night working on the boat??? What ya trying to do, make that rooster tail (in your signature line) go off of my screen?
eek! :D :D

Tom Brown
04-20-2003, 03:42 PM
[ April 20, 2003, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

BigBoyToys
04-20-2003, 03:53 PM
:rolleyes:

Wet Dream
04-24-2003, 03:20 PM
RiverKitty:
Wet Dream,
Did you ever get it figured out, eh? :confused:
~RK Getting there, but I can't figure out what happened to the most of the replies. Did I miss something?????? What happened?

Wet Dream
04-24-2003, 03:23 PM
By the way, I am getting the 169.254.x.x. I cleared all of the folders and files and also set up the connection wizard to a lan, we'll have to see what goes on here. It didn't happen all the time, but usually when you didn't want it to. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the replies, and sorry if it caused any arguements.

572Daytona
04-24-2003, 08:52 PM
Since you are getting the 169.254 address, it very well be IP autoconfiguration that is causing the problem. It would be worth a try disabling it and see if that clears up your problem. In order to disable it do the following:
Download the following files to your desktop or a folder:
ipac_off.inf (http://www.alltel.net/~jthieme/ipac_off.inf)
ipac_on.inf (http://www.alltel.net/~jthieme/ipac_on.inf)
Right click on the ipac_off.inf file and choose install. On your next reboot IP autoconfiguration will be disabled and you shouldn't get the 169.254 address anymore, if you are getting 0.0.0.0 instead there most likely a problem with the DHCP server in your router or your ISP's DHCP server and you will probably need to call them.
If it doesn't fix the problem or if you want to undo the change, right click on ipac_on.inf and install to reenable IP autoconfig.
These files came from the Win98 CD and Microsoft has a knowledge base entry here that discusses this problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;189255

572Daytona
04-24-2003, 08:54 PM
Oh and don't worry about the arguments, some people argue Ford vs Chevy, others argue Token Ring vs Ethernet argue