PDA

View Full Version : Grip Tape ????

Coach
05-05-2003, 09:58 AM
My boat has a teak cover to the ski locker which looks good, but is very slick. My daughter who is very young and slips on it all the time. Not to mention myself and others are slipping on it especially when it is wet. Does anyone know of any type of clear grip tape that will help or know any tricks to make the wood less slick? I am thinking about a clear skateboard grip tape at this point.

HavasuDreamin'
05-05-2003, 10:34 AM
I would think you could get this at a skate board shop. Now that you mentioned it, I have been trying to figure out what I can do in the cockpit of my 19' Daytona instead of carpet. I am in the process of gel coating it now, so clear grip tape may be an option that I haven't thought about. :cool: If you find a source, please PM me and let me know.
[ May 05, 2003, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

Jbb
05-05-2003, 10:43 AM
The tape thing might work for a while but in the hot sun the adhesive will ooze out from behind it and make a mess ..Remove the wood sand lightly and apply a few coats of varnish or polyurethane with some sand added to it ...no more slips!

ROZ
05-05-2003, 10:46 AM
JETBOAT BRIAN:
The tape thing might work for a while but in the hot sun the adhesive will ooze out from behind it and make a mess ..Remove the wood sand lightly and apply a few coats of varnish or polyurethane with some sand added to it ...no more slips! That's a good idea....Grip tape and water don't go well anyway.....

BobbyB
05-05-2003, 10:48 AM
[ May 05, 2003, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Custom77 ]

roostwear
05-05-2003, 10:48 AM
Here's what I'll be using on the trailer steps and fenders (my trailer is yellow).
http://www.fastenal.com/shoponline/search/Browsing.asp?CatID=9025

SchellSchock
05-05-2003, 10:50 AM
Here is an Idea. I use a spray coating as a replacement for the "WAX" on my Surf Board. It used to be a bumpy stuff very similar to wax. I went to get some replacement recently and the old stuff isn't made anymore, (EPA restrictions I think), so I bought the new stuff. It is clear with a grit in it. Very good grip but tough on the chest. This should work great as a non-slip for Wood, Fiberglass, you name it.Get it at most Surfboard shops.

Coach
05-05-2003, 10:55 AM
That is a great idea adding sand. How about this stuff? West Marine non-slip clear spray (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=62510&catalogId=10001&classNum=10892&subdeptNum=11204&storeNum=4) What do you think?

Coach
05-05-2003, 10:57 AM
ShellShock-
Do you know the name of the product?

Coach
05-05-2003, 11:01 AM
HavasuDreamn
Here is a web site I found that you might like.
Skid-Grip Paint (http://www.rtigroup.com.au/html/skidgrip.htm)

SchellSchock
05-05-2003, 12:51 PM
Coach....
I'll get the name tonight when I get home and post here.

HavasuDreamin'
05-05-2003, 01:02 PM
Will that clear grip stuff sold by West Marine adhere to gelcoat? I am gelcoating my floor board (blue) and want apply a clear non-skid material of some sort over the top of it (either tape or paint). I don't want the tape to start oozing adhesive, nor do I want the clear product (what ever I use) to start to yellow? Last but not least, is there anything that is easliy removable should it start to look sh*tty?
I am asking for a lot, but whaddya want???? wink :D Any ideas?
[ May 05, 2003, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

bmff
05-05-2003, 07:51 PM
West Marine sells glass(?) beads that mixes in paint and can be sprayed on. Probably would mix with gel also. I worked great for me. It feels like sandpaper that has been painted--rough on the knees, but you will not slip.

wfodude
05-05-2003, 08:45 PM
If you're a tight wad like me...visit a local machine shop(like I used to run) that has a large belt sander. When the belts get dull they throw them away. Most likely they will give one to you. When you cut them up and glue them down they work cherry as no slip. I had people coming by the shop all the time for my old ones.

TOOMNYTOYS
05-05-2003, 09:57 PM
what you can do is take some resin or two part epoxy and roll it on the item that you want traction. or if you are gel coating you can add on top. then take some silica sand that sell different grade from fine to course you can get at most hardware stores and west marine also stocks it. roll it on punch holes in a dixie cup and shake it above the resin, epoxy, gel or paint.this works real well on small jobs and big jobs . i used to do them all the time when i had my yacht maintance company. you can also mask off areas to like the sides and the center of things with blue mask then pull the tape up before the resin sets up after you sprinkled the sand down. good luck.