PDA

View Full Version : In Memory of a fallen Marine friend

Hotcrusader76
07-23-2003, 08:19 AM
I came home last night around 1:30AM only to find out my neighbor, a fello Warfighter, gearhead, and loyal friend in all, had crashed his F-18 into the Desert during a training excercise late last night and was killed. He was conducting a low level training excercise out in the Glamis area when his F-18 crashed into the the Desert floor.
Captain John B. USMC Fighter pilot had just came home not only 2 months ago from Iraq, after a long 6 month tour. He had also just came back 4th of July from the Rubicon where he 4X4s his tricked out Land Rover, something he loved more than anything. John was suppose to be the first person to ride in my Jetboat once I finanly finished the motor next week.
What a sad loss this is for his wife Jill, the family, and all of his dear friends. They were just married a short time ago. John was the best neighbor anyone could have wanted, barrowed your tools and returned them....many of weekends with friends and a keg....a beautiful and careing wife who put up with us on those nights with a keg...Why John?
My fallen neighbor, my fello warfighter...We're going to miss you. Here's a toast to you:
Here's to goodbyes
may they never be spoken
Here's to good friendships
may they never be broken
http://www.black-collegian.com/employers/images/marine.gif

roln 20s
07-23-2003, 08:22 AM
My best wishes are with you, John's new wife, and the rest of his friends, family and neighbors. Thats a sad tradegy. I wish bad things wouldn't happen to great people like that.
My thoughts and prayers are with them all.
Roln 20s

Jungle Boy
07-23-2003, 08:23 AM
That's sad news. Prayers to his family and friends.

superdave013
07-23-2003, 08:25 AM
Sorry to hear that Ty. I've lost a few biddies myself over the last few years. I know your pain.
It sounds like he loved life and was living it to it's fullest. I'm sure he wouldn't have had it anyother way.

hot_diggity_dog
07-23-2003, 08:28 AM
Sorry to hear that HC76,
Comming from a military family it's like losing a brother, My dad served our country and the Marines for over 22 years.
http://www.imgmag.com/images/kiersten/usa_blinkmarni.gif
My Thoughts go out to you and the family on this sad day. cry
HDD cry

HavasuDreamin'
07-23-2003, 08:28 AM
Terrible news. :( :( We seem to be getting a lot of that around here lately. My condolences to all who knew him, especially his wife and family. cry

07-23-2003, 08:29 AM
Very sad, but at least he was doing something he loved, we should all be so fortunate. May your friend rest in eternal peace.

Hotcrusader76
07-23-2003, 08:38 AM
I agree. There was nothing more exciting then John and his F-18 stories after a late night of pounding the Keg of Pale Ale. He really loved to fly.
He was just someone you could really have a good time with and ironically he was thinking about getting a jetboat, which a ride in my sled next week would have sealed the deal.
So far today has been grim and quiet here. The little white car and Chaplain showed up about an hour ago fully decked out in uniform. Witnessing something like that is crushing, I would never wish upon my worst foe.
It's time to press on...

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-23-2003, 08:43 AM
Very sad we are very sorry and our prayers go out to you and his family. He will be missed. It is only his flesh that won't be with you but he will always be there in spirit. God bless him and his family and may he rest in peace. frown

rrrr
07-23-2003, 09:02 AM
There is nothing that I have ever done or will do that comes close to those that give their lives in service to our country.
This man lost his life working for me. He was working for you, too. Thanks, Captain. God bless and look over his family.....

C-2
07-23-2003, 09:05 AM
Prayers to his family and a great big THANK YOU to John for his courageous service to us and our country.

Screaming Pete
07-23-2003, 09:06 AM
HC76, Thanks for the reminder that our men in uniform are allways at risk and putting thier life on the line even in non combat rolls. I feel your pain and respect for the man through your endearing words. May he RIP...
Pete

MagicMtnDan
07-23-2003, 09:10 AM
We all lose when one of our bravest passes away. He chose to follow in the footsteps that millions before him have taken. Unfortunately, he is one of many who have died serving their country.
We all owe him and his family a debt of thanks for volunteering to serve our country, to keep us free, and to give his life so that we can enjoy ours.
God bless him and his entire family. And thank you for telling us about him.

Hotcrusader76
07-23-2003, 10:14 AM
Marine Corps Jet Crashes At Twentynine Palms
Condition Of Pilot Unknown
POSTED: 9:25 a.m. PDT July 23, 2003
TWENTYNINE PALMS, Calif. -- A Marine Corps F/A-18C Hornet crashed during a training exercise late Tuesday.
A Marine spokeswoman said the condition of the pilot, the plane's sole occupant, was unknown.
The plane, based at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, went down at 11:05 p.m., Marine 1st Lt. Carolyn M. Nelson said. She did not know whether the pilot ejected.
The name of the pilot was being withheld until relatives could be notified.
Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Seadog
07-23-2003, 10:38 AM
The best that I can do. taps (http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/taps.mid)

HavasuBarney
07-23-2003, 11:06 AM
Very sad to hear about that.
My prayers and well wishes go out to the family during this rough time.

spectratoad
07-23-2003, 11:23 AM
As another Military guy heart heart goes out to the family. It is my wifes worst fear to have the plain car with Gov't plates pull up to the house. I don't do anything really dangerous but it all plays out the same.
Semper Fi!! frown

future boater
07-23-2003, 11:33 AM
058:
Very sad, but at least he was doing something he loved, we should all be so fortunate. May your friend rest in eternal peace.

Rexone
07-23-2003, 09:56 PM
Godspeed Captain John and a big thank you to you and all who serve this great country and put their lives as risk every day. Prayers go out also to his family and friends. frown

BILLY.B
07-24-2003, 05:31 AM
Sorry to hear about your neighbor and more importantly your friend. My prayers are go out to his family.

LUVNLIFE
07-24-2003, 07:00 AM
So very sad, our thoughts are with his family.
The Luvnlife's

Hotcrusader76
07-24-2003, 11:26 AM
The official word....and I will let this rest
Miramar pilot dies in crash of Hornet
Marine returned recently from Iraq
By Jeanette Steele
STAFF WRITER
July 24, 2003
A Marine fighter pilot recently home from the war in Iraq died Tuesday night when his F/A-18C Hornet crashed during a training mission over the Mojave Desert, the military said yesterday.
Capt. John T. Berger, 27, based at Miramar Marine Corps Air Station, was flying the single-seat jet when it went down at 11 p.m. near Twentynine Palms.
Few details were immediately available, and Miramar spokesman 1st Lt. John Niemann said the cause of the crash was under investigation. It was not disclosed whether Berger had ejected.
Berger, whose hometown is Sonora in Northern California, was newly married, Marine officials said. Family members declined to comment when reached at his Santee home.
Berger's commander called the pilot's death a great loss.
"He was an outstanding F/A-18 pilot, a proven combat aviator based on his performance during Operation Iraqi Freedom," Lt. Col. Michael Burt said.
The Hornet is the chief strike and fighter aircraft for the Navy and Marine Corps. They come in one-and two-seat models and can take off from and land on aircraft carriers.
Berger's unit – Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 232, the "Red Devils" – returned from the Persian Gulf on May 9.
Its pilots flew hundreds of bombing and reconnaissance missions over Iraq from a base in Kuwait without losing a plane.
The squadron had a sterling safety record. Before Thursday's accident, it had flown more than 96,000 flight hours without a crash – equal to eight to 10 years of flying, a Miramar spokeswoman said.
Then-Navy Secretary Gordon England gave the unit a safety award in November, noting that the Red Devils held the Marine Corps record for accident-free flight hours.
However, Berger's was the fourth $29 million Hornet to crash in the region in two years.
In January, two Miramar aviators were rescued after their F/A-18D jet developed an unspecified problem, leading them to eject. The plane crashed into the ocean off San Clemente Island.
An Air Force pilot training in a Miramar F/A-18D crashed off the Mexican coast in November during a solo training flight. The pilot ejected and was rescued.
An East Coast-based Marine F/A-18D crashed in February, 2002, while training in the same area as Berger was. In that crash, the pilot and weapons systems officer both ejected, but only the pilot survived.
Marine Hornets also experienced maintenance headaches in 2001. Two Miramar-based F/A-18s were grounded after cracks were found in a critical wing part during inspections. The Navy issued a mandatory inspection order for 774 F/A-18 Hornet jets at the time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeanette Steele: (760) 476-8244; jen.steele@uniontrib.com